Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #1

Concertone RV2004DS won't read DVD

I have a Concertone RV2004DS that was working properly last year. Now it will not read any DVD's or CD's. When I insert the disk and close the door it reads out "please wait" for several minutes and then just sits there. It will not eject during this time. I have marked a disc and checked the orientation and it appears that the disc is not moving at all. Any suggestions???
anthonyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyr View Post
I have a Concertone RV2004DS that was working properly last year. Now it will not read any DVD's or CD's. When I insert the disk and close the door it reads out "please wait" for several minutes and then just sits there. It will not eject during this time. I have marked a disc and checked the orientation and it appears that the disc is not moving at all. Any suggestions???
I think you need to do a reset of device..

Pm bobfields on here with your questions as he is a concertone rep.

Welcome to the forum!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
I also have the Concertone radio w/cd. The last 3 campers I have owned had a similar unit. All 3 did the same thing as yours with cd. I ended up buying a Kenwood am/fm/cd in dash radio w/separate cd changer and remote. I built my own face plate and installed into the same spot as the concertone. The Kenwood is 12 years old and is now in it's 3rd camper. Concertone radios are not a very well designed radio. Also if signal strength is an issue, I was able to utilize the signal booster that was already installed in the camper. I installed remote speaker jacks on the outside of my camper for some much better speakers. The Kenwood was hooked up to all the factory speakers on the inside as well as outside and a 12 volt and I am able to switch from in to out and both if need be. If your camper is under warranty, I can assure you that a new unit will fail in a very short amount of time as did the current unit. It was not worth the 90$ service repair trip to replace a radio that would only last one season. So I remedied the problem on my own. My camper is in a seasonal site year round. Good luck with your project.
hotshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Take a 8oz ballpein hammer and beat the hell out of it and throw it away, that's about all it is good for.
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbreaux View Post
Take a 8oz ballpein hammer and beat the hell out of it and throw it away, that's about all it is good for.
Good one.....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Had 2 concertones in 2 trailers in 8 years with zero issue's.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

This can be caused by humidity in the camper. Moisture condensed on the laser lens and receptor can cause read errors.

Leave the unit on for several hours to "bake" the moisture out and see if your read problem goes away.

Bad media can also cause this problem. Some DVD readers are not so reliable reading DVD+R disks due to the dye used in the +R disk. Try your copies in DVD-R format.

Scratched or compromised commercial disks can cause this issue as well. Try a different one.

Does it play CDs but not DVDs? If it will play one but not the other, a factory reset may be needed. Remove ALL power (including the clock fuse in the rear of the unit) and wait a few minutes before reconnecting.

LOOSEN the mounting screws; the unit may be twisted during install preventing a level reading deck for the laser.

PM Bob Fields is none of these help.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #8

The unit does not appear to even attempt to read either CD's or DVD's. The disk does not turn nor does the read head move at all. I have taken the unit out of the wall and bench tested with the case removed. The radio, sattelite radio, and TV portions of the unit are working properly but the disk section does nothing. I am goint to connect a DVD player directly to the monitor and split audio to the surround sound for now but would like for the system to work properly. I think that there is probably some a bad board component but don't want to get that far in depth without a schematic of the electronics. I may limp through the summer season and replace the unit.
anthonyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

You may be looking at sending it in for repair.
Have you PM'ed Bob Fields?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Had 2 concertones in 2 trailers in 8 years with zero issue's.
I wish I could say the same thing. I am on my 3rd TT and out of the 3, 2 had concertones and they both broke on me. Neither one lasted more than 3 years. I have a Kenwood detachable face receiver/cd/mp3 on my side x side, that thing has taken abuse from mud, dust, beer, whiskey, water, cold, heat and South Louisiana humidity and it still works like a champ after 4 years. My streak with concertone radios in campers has not been good at all. The only way I would go with another concertone is if it was free, then I would be hesitant to put it in because I know they don't last. I will not spend 1 red cent, much less $700 on those polished turds. Hope you get many more years of service from yours.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #11

Serious.....tell us how you really feel. The stereo (Concertone) was the first thing to get thrown away when we bought our new Popup. It was fun finding the two inside speakers not only hooked up backwards......but both were on the same channel. The hole left behind was covered with a blank cherry award plague.....then cut for a DIN2 Sony car stereo with XM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbreaux View Post
I wish I could say the same thing. I am on my 3rd TT and out of the 3, 2 had concertones and they both broke on me. Neither one lasted more than 3 years. I have a Kenwood detachable face receiver/cd/mp3 on my side x side, that thing has taken abuse from mud, dust, beer, whiskey, water, cold, heat and South Louisiana humidity and it still works like a champ after 4 years. My streak with concertone radios in campers has not been good at all. The only way I would go with another concertone is if it was free, then I would be hesitant to put it in because I know they don't last. I will not spend 1 red cent, much less $700 on those polished turds. Hope you get many more years of service from yours.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #12

Try unplugging it as was recommended.
Might solve all of your problems.

The dealer replaced mine 2x and when it failed the third time I removed it and replaced it with a small Home Theatre system.
We don't dry camp so a 120V system was not a problem for us.
I did some minor cabinet alterations and never looked back.

Bob Fileds is a nice guy with a tough job. Give him a hollar. He might be able to help you with your unit.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor43 View Post
Serious.....tell us how you really feel. The stereo (Concertone) was the first thing to get thrown away when we bought our new Popup. It was fun finding the two inside speakers not only hooked up backwards......but both were on the same channel. The hole left behind was covered with a blank cherry award plague.....then cut for a DIN2 Sony car stereo with XM.

I have a Pioneer AVH-P3400BH in my TV and I am seriously thinking about putting one in my TT in place of the broken concertone.