Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Question Concertone Wiring

Those of you that have had the Concertone head units out, how was the antenna co-axial cable connected to the unit? On my Rockwood, it appears that Forest River just stripped the insulation back a bit, folded the braided copper back & stuck the cable into a "connection" on the back. The reception is very tenuous & varies if the cable is "wiggled".

Shouldn't there be a proper connector on the end of the coaxial cable? Is there a proper/better way?

Any electronic equip' that I've seen using co-axial cable has a "female" connector on the cable & a "male" on the unit. The ZX-75 just has a "socket" that FR pushed the cable into.
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #2

It should have the proper connection in place.

The Radio antenna cable should look like this.

The CATV cable should look like this.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #3

BTW, You should take a picture of the connection(or non connection) and send it to FR.

If it's as you've described, that is sh**ty work.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thumbs up

The radio cable definately doesn't look like the 1 shown in your pic. Do you have a PN for it? Also, can the cable be replaced w/o removing the radio antenna from the roof?

If possible, a larger pic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the quick reply
Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

I did some searching around the 'net & found this. I guess the terminal can be added w/o removing the cable from the TT. I wonder if special tools are required to crimp the terminal to the cable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40-uv40 connector kit.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	2475  
Old 05-23-2010, 05:04 AM   #6

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
On my Rockwood, it appears that Forest River just stripped the insulation back a bit, folded the braided copper back & stuck the cable into a "connection" on the back. The reception is very tenuous & varies if the cable is "wiggled".
This could explain radio performance on my new unit (ZX75, new 2011 Shamrock 19).

DVD video, CD audio, iPod connected to AUX1 all work very well. When on Tuner for radio, the sound cuts in and out, very disappointed to have to bring the whole trailer to the dealer for this...

Is it difficult to pull out to inspect the connections ?

Denis
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Push the litlle tabs inward on the sides of the unit to remove. I think 6 screws hold the unit.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #8

We also have an issue with our radio however the antenna for the am/fm radio is the correct male/female connection. We weren't able to hear anything when we were close to many stations - now that we are home & out away from anything close it seems to be working or at least we can hear the station now. Go figure!

Here is a update to the noise in the Concertone AM/FM radio. While in the trailer I happened to turn the radio on & there wasn't any noise/interference. It turns out that I was not hooked to shore power at the time. As soon as I would hook to shore (110) power the noise would come back. Today I talked to Mike at FR & we decided to try installing noise suppressors. At Radio Shack I purchased one for the 12V power line it is called Snap Choke Core part # 273-0069 & one for the antenna coax called Ferrite Data-Line part # 273-0105. I left the radio playing for several hours (hooked to shore power) with no interference!

Mike told me if it worked send him the receipt & he would pay for the parts. Will leave the radio on tomorrow but at this time it appears the problem is solved.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:14 AM   #9

The radio reception on my trailer is much worse that my car that is parked right next to it. That is another project I need to put on the list.
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wonder if special tools are required to crimp the terminal to the cable?
I asked @ a car audio place about the terminal & it's a soldered connection. No crimping.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #11

So is crappy FM reception the norm on these things? Mine only picks up a few FM stations clearly and the rest are very staticy. I live just outside Minneapolis and a $10.00 radio will pick up twice the stations this thing will. I pulled the unit and the antenna cable has the proper male end and is securely connected. I brought it back to the dealer and they claimed to have found a poor connection on the roof at the antenna but the reception is the same.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The local electronics wizard stopped by this afternoon & had a look @ the co-axial connection of my Concertcrap. It turns out that the proper terminal was there, but since it was poorly soldered to the cable, the cable had pulled off.

He used a pair of needlenose pliers to pull the terminal out of the radio. Upon inspection, he found a small capacitor soldered inside the terminal "tip". There was also a small bit of wire on the "center" wire.

Does anyone have any idea what the capacitor would be for? "Duffy" didn't have a clue. He figures he'll be able to come up w/ a better connection that the factory.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
The local electronics wizard stopped by this afternoon & had a look @ the co-axial connection of my Concertcrap. It turns out that the proper terminal was there, but since it was poorly soldered to the cable, the cable had pulled off.

He used a pair of needlenose pliers to pull the terminal out of the radio. Upon inspection, he found a small capacitor soldered inside the terminal "tip". There was also a small bit of wire on the "center" wire.

Does anyone have any idea what the capacitor would be for? "Duffy" didn't have a clue. He figures he'll be able to come up w/ a better connection that the factory.
Sounds like a crappy attempt at filtering out electrical noise in the wires.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:

So it sounds like there is an antenna cable//connection/potential installation issue - if so, why is this to be considered "Concertcrap"
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
Owner - RVtronics

Oh, I meant to mention in my last post that I am currently working with the makers of Concertone and while it may appear I am jumping into a hornets nest, I look forward to the dialog! ;-)
(781) 281-9440
Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
Owner - RVtronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptypockets View Post
We also have an issue with our radio however the antenna for the am/fm radio is the correct male/female connection. We weren't able to hear anything when we were close to many stations - now that we are home & out away from anything close it seems to be working or at least we can hear the station now. Go figure!

Here is a update to the noise in the Concertone AM/FM radio. While in the trailer I happened to turn the radio on & there wasn't any noise/interference. It turns out that I was not hooked to shore power at the time. As soon as I would hook to shore (110) power the noise would come back. Today I talked to Mike at FR & we decided to try installing noise suppressors. At Radio Shack I purchased one for the 12V power line it is called Snap Choke Core part # 273-0069 & one for the antenna coax called Ferrite Data-Line part # 273-0105. I left the radio playing for several hours (hooked to shore power) with no interference!

Mike told me if it worked send him the receipt & he would pay for the parts. Will leave the radio on tomorrow but at this time it appears the problem is solved.
This is an interesting scenario as it demonstrates how one system can affect another. This situation would have been caused by either system having even just one internal component changed or something changing with the connection between them.

Certainly frustrating for all involved - I am glad this got resolved for you!
(781) 281-9440
Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
So it sounds like there is an antenna cable//connection/potential installation issue - if so, why is this to be considered "Concertcrap"
Mr. Fields reading this post & 1 of your other posts, do you have an affiliation w/ Concertune?

In the 10 months that I've read posts about these units in FR RVs, you're the 1st person to defend their quality (or lack thereof).

Old 07-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #18
Owner - RVtronics

Quote:
Mr. Fields reading this post & 1 of your other posts, do you have an affiliation w/ Concertune?

In the 10 months that I've read posts about these units in FR RVs, you're the 1st person to defend their quality (or lack thereof).
Hello revrnd,

Two posts up in this thread I did indeed mention I was working with Concertone. I am not an "employee" but I have known of the company and their products for sometime. I am currently working on a special project with them.

That said, you also mentioned that I was the first to defend their quality, but I have noted several on here that may not have "defended" their quality, but had certainly pointed out that their systems worked as advertised and that there are many factors affecting the operation of the units including wiring & installation.

This last factor is why I asked the question I did. It seemed obvious that the antenna connection is/was broken/not correct. If that is true (as it seems), it is unfair in this case to defame the Concertone unit. Wouldn't you agree?

Beyond that and when I mentioned my affiliation, I also noted that "I may be jumping into a hornet's nest" based on the negativity of lot of the threads. I completely understand that "where there is smoke there is fire" and I have no illusions that everything Concertone is hunky dory (just as any company that has sold as many units as Concertone has), but I also think it is only fair to be accurate on what is or isn't anyone's fault.

In addition to working with Concertone, I have indeed been a life long camper and boater. Blessed with parents who enjoyed the outdoors and passed that onto their kids. I can remember vividly many of the trips we took from our home base just outside of Boston up and down the East Coast (from Maine to Florida).

When my wife & I had Kids, we utilized our campers all year long including being on the leading edge of wintering camping in the Northeast. Let me tell you it is NO FUN running out of propane in the middle of the night in sub freezing weather and a trailer load of kids (and a not too happy wife)!

Like many of you, we left our trailer loaded and ready to go all week and when I would get home on Friday night I'd back in, hook up, load the Suburban and off we'd go.

Thanks for asking and I look forward to our continuing dialog - for now I am off to the Beach (Cape Cod)!

I hope everyone has a great day in the outdoors!

Best regards,
Bob
(781) 281-9440
Old 07-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

The reason for my post is that on other non-RVing sites, I've seen people (lurkers perhaps) w/ low post counts jump into discussions & take the offending company's side. Most come across like cheerleaders & offer no constructive solutions to the problems @ hand.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Owner - RVtronics

Quote:
The reason for my post is that on other non-RVing sites, I've seen people (lurkers perhaps) w/ low post counts jump into discussions & take the offending company's side. Most come across like cheerleaders & offer no constructive solutions to the problems @ hand.
I completely understand the way you feel and that is why I stated my affiliation right up front so you did not have to wonder. I am sorry you missed that second post. hopefully i get a little credit for that! :-)

That said, please feel free to call me out if you feel i am being overly optimist in my participation. A careful read of my initial posts will demonstrate I have NOT started my partipation that way.
On a side note, my new motorla X is working beautifully on the beach (much to my wife's chagrin). Please forgive any spelling issues!
(781) 281-9440