Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #1

Concertone ZX50 Hum in background

I was reading this from an earlier thread on background hum. I have made a post on another forum regarding this. I just purchased a used 2009 Palomino Puma 25RS with a Concertone model ZX50. After I got it home and was going over everything, I put in a CD in the player, checked out all speakers, inside and out, I noticed a background hum. On the Am/FM side the hum can be really be heard. This made me think back to the days of working on the old radios and tvs. I thought my location might be causing it...then I read the post about installing an inline condenser. Before I go to Radio Shack and purchase one, where is this installed in the circuitry? Has anyone had any success with this installation?
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #2

Pulled my unit out this afternoon and did some inspecting. After I got my unit out where I could see what was making the noise, I found out that it was the fan. I looked at the little fan with my flashlight and could see some dust build-up. I used my computer ultra duster and blew the dust off of it. I then put some TV Tuner Cleaner and Lubricant that I have had for years on a little swab and dropped some around the fan shaft...it seems to have quieted it down for now. Will no more after time goes on...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I would check with the company and see if it is still under warranty.
They may cover the repair if you send it in.

If not, or the repair costs seem unreasonable AND it starts making noise again (it will eventually):

1) You can continue to try to lubricate the bearing surface.
2) Replace the fan with a computer fan of the same voltage
3) Buy an upgraded unit from Concertone
4) Replace the entire unit with one from a different manufacturer.

I personally do not recommend one course over the other; that is totally up to you. What I would do is call them and see if they will make it right either under warranty or a reasonable cost.

They may surprise you. (or not but at least you will know)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. I know that it is out of warranty etc. I hope what I did will keep it down for awhile, if not...I will replace it when another unit. I can't hear it have the time anyway...flew on helicopters back in the 70's and the spent 27 plus years as a C-130 mechanic. Noticed your picture, background looks familiar.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #5

When I bought my used 2009 Puma 25RS and got it home, couldn't find the remote for the Concertone ZX50. I thought, didn't need it anyway so I got to thinking again, maybe it might be in the cabinets. I looked everywhere for it...yesterday I got a call from the RV Dealer..they had the remote in the file cabinet with the papers on the trailer. It still had the old battery in it, a 2025. I went by my friendly Wally World and got one yesterday. I tried it earlier and it didn't work. I pulled out the battery and got to looking at the contact. It was corroded inside. I took out the two little screws...used a very small flat blade screwdriver to release the cover on both sides...it has two release points on each side plus the area in front. I cleaned the spring that makes contact with the + side of the battery and put it back together...it works now. Another thing fixed......motto....remove battery when it is not going to be used for a period of time.