Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #1

Concertone ZX700 Radio Reception

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing poor radio reception with their ZX700. Using the "Search" function, I will get 1-2 stations over the entire FM band. (This done in major cities, with MANY stations...).

I have removed the unit and checked the antenna connections, they all seem OK.

Other than the reception problems and the lights on the buttons of the unit flickering, the unit seems to function properly.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #2

Yes I am having the same problem with my ZX700, checked all connections, when I cannot get any FM stations in very clear I go to my tow vehicle and have no problem getting a FM station. My research tells me it is the antenna on the trailer, I have ordered a antenna by Tune Trapper that is supposed to be properly tuned for FM reception and can be placed most anywhere to get a signal. Would like to hear from others that have this antenna, did it work.
snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #3

I ZX600 with the same problem. I can't find the antenna to check it! No help from the dealer or Forest River!! Forest River hasn't returned my last 3 calls or email on another issue!! I guess they're waiting for my warranty to run out on Sept.15!
Dave T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe View Post
Yes I am having the same problem with my ZX700, checked all connections, when I cannot get any FM stations in very clear I go to my tow vehicle and have no problem getting a FM station. My research tells me it is the antenna on the trailer, I have ordered a antenna by Tune Trapper that is supposed to be properly tuned for FM reception and can be placed most anywhere to get a signal. Would like to hear from others that have this antenna, did it work.
My camper is still under warranty, so, I will be waiting a little before buying a new antenna. Please keep us informed if you have good luck with the Tune Trapper.

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #5

I had this problem. I took out the radio and the antenna wire came off the roof antenna. I had to remove the antenna from the roof to connect it back up. The radio works great now. I don't think it was ever hooked up. I have a 2011 2902SS
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I ZX600 with the same problem. I can't find the antenna to check it! No help from the dealer or Forest River!! Forest River hasn't returned my last 3 calls or email on another issue!! I guess they're waiting for my warranty to run out on Sept.15!
Get a test antenna and try that. It is easy and should onl take you a few minutes to determine if its the radio or antenna...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
Owner - RVtronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalik282 View Post
My camper is still under warranty, so, I will be waiting a little before buying a new antenna. Please keep us informed if you have good luck with the Tune Trapper.

John
Anntenna are cheap and and easy test to see if its the radio or antenna...
(781) 281-9440
Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #8

The radio in my camper work's fine for the first hour or so, then get's all static and fade's in and out. I'm thinking this is a heat problem as it is in a cabinet. The station i listen to is less than two mile's away. Still under warrenty and dealer say's they will replace it. Been three week's and no word back yet. It's a Concertone unit
camper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Owner - RVtronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper007 View Post
The radio in my camper work's fine for the first hour or so, then get's all static and fade's in and out. I'm thinking this is a heat problem as it is in a cabinet. The station i listen to is less than two mile's away. Still under warrenty and dealer say's they will replace it. Been three week's and no word back yet. It's a Concertone unit
Easy enough to determine if it is heat related.

Remove the unit from the mounting hole and run. Does your problem still occur?
(781) 281-9440
Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #10

Thank's for the advice Bob, i will try removing system and playing when i go back up in two week's. Thank's again.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
Get a test antenna and try that. It is easy and should onl take you a few minutes to determine if its the radio or antenna...
Bob,
I'm trying to find the antenna. It isn't mounted on the roof outside. It must be in the cab over. I was told by the dealer that it had an internal antenna! They had verified that with Forest River. I gave up!!
thanks Dave
Dave T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
Owner - RVtronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Bob,
I'm trying to find the antenna. It isn't mounted on the roof outside. It must be in the cab over. I was told by the dealer that it had an internal antenna! They had verified that with Forest River. I gave up!!
thanks Dave
Go get an antenna fro the local auto parts store (around $10) and plug it into the radio. you don't need to mount it to try it. If the radio starts working you have a bad antenna...
(781) 281-9440
Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #13

is it common for these antennas to go bad ? this may be what i need to do too . is it the antenna it self or the wire that is going bad ?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Owner - RVtronics

you now antennas are pretty straight forward, but you can find stories here about bad antennas.

When i first got here, I had one guy who had four radios replaced and the dealer just told him how bad our radios were an he just kept telling everyone here the same thing. Finally through the help of others here as well he discovered that the antenna did not even have a connector on it. Until he posted a picture of it he did not know it was not correct.

My suggestion is the way you can check it without any technical knowledge and quickly. Its a simple test and the results will guarantee you what the problem is - either the antenna or the radio. Looking at the antenna or cable itself won't tell you anything as it could be broken internally or simply defective. How many times have you heard of a simple, low cost part bringing down a whole system?

I know its a hassle and you just want to listen to the radio and enjoy your RV - I really do get it! But there can be more than one thing that is causing issue and someone must troubleshoot it...

I'll help where I can!
(781) 281-9440
Old 08-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #15

Thanks Bob You are doing great job helping people out on here too bad many other companies CEO or VP`s dont join our forum and help out as you have for this i applaude you and i will try the antenna replacement as you suggested
Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #16

Thumbs up

I just received my Tune Tracker Antenna (TTA), here are the tests I did. First I connected the TTA and scanned for a weak station, then disconnect the TTA and reconnected the roof antenna and the reception was not as good as the TTA, could hardly hear the station. I then found a station with the roof antenna where in silent periods I could hear background noise, then I connected the TTA and in silent periods could not hear that background noise. So with my tests the TTA was a better antenna than the roof antenna, and the TTA was on the inside near an outside wall.
snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #17

Just recieved new radio from dealer and will install this weekend. Will let you know if it work's o.k.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #18

I got my ZX85 prior to going out this weekend and I'm glad
To report it is working fine no issues noted our movies play great, radio is fine.

Thanks,
Al
ALMcKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #19

ZX-500 overheat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
Easy enough to determine if it is heat related.

Remove the unit from the mounting hole and run. Does your problem still occur?
Bob- what do you do if it's heat related??? I have an 07 Rockwood 8287SS, and the ZX-500 is wall mounted in an enclosed cabinet. Radio works for 10 mins or so, then goes staticky. CD will play clearly for hours. I replaced the antenna head, leaving the original wire. Troubleshooting-wise, because the radio works fine for 10 mins, that would eliminate the antenna, no?

Thanks for any insight you might provide!! -Mark
ladon67 is offline   Reply With Quote