Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Unhappy Conertone TV

Just used our 2006 rockwood 8317SS for the first time. We couldn't get the TV to get any stations off the antenna. Is the TV not digital or are we doing something wrong. When hook to cable it works fine. Help please. We need all the help we can get. This is all new to us. Went from a tent to this. I'm sure you can see our problem.
riwdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

There must be an amplifier switch (a small round one) where you plugged the antenna cable. Did you turn it on ? A light should come on ....If you do not switch that thing on you won't receive any channels.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #3

Conertone TV

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes we did turn the antenna button on. We turned the antenna in all directions still nothing. Thats why we are thinking it has to do with everything having to be digital and we are out of luck. Sure hope not but it is from 2006.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

Was the tv set for antenna. Use the tv menu to see what the settings are.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Ehlendt
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Was the tv set for antenna. Use the tv menu to see what the settings are.
I'm with caper. Check to make sure your tv menu setting is set to antenna. I also "search" for channels each time I get to a new site. That function should be at the same place in you tv menu for setting to antenna. Your tv will do a search for all available stations.
Reese WD Hitch
"Get busy living.....or get busy dying."
Ehlendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #6

Concertone

Thanks for all your great ideas but my husband tried all that. Thats about when he got frustrated and put a movie in. I told him not to worry, I would get on here today and see if anyone could help us out. 40 degree weather and no TV doesn't mix very well with husband. He's only out there camping in this weather to please me. Love him. We do try to go every weekend as long as the roads are clear and can find a open campground close by in NY or PA
Old 04-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by riwdfw View Post
Just used our 2006 rockwood 8317SS for the first time. We couldn't get the TV to get any stations off the antenna. Is the TV not digital or are we doing something wrong. When hook to cable it works fine. Help please. We need all the help we can get. This is all new to us. Went from a tent to this. I'm sure you can see our problem.
Your antana is prior to the change to digital so you most likly need one of these to get the antenna to work, http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-wingman/44021

Had the same problem and this was the fix.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes we did turn the antenna button on. We turned the antenna in all directions still nothing. That's why we are thinking it has to do with everything having to be digital and we are out of luck. Sure hope not but it is from 2006.
I think you hit it right on.

If the amp button shows green; you should get digital signals (assuming you are in range of a tower and pointed at it - the white box side in the direction of the tower). If your TV is not digital ready you will get "snow" on all channels without a converter box.

I have four of them if anyone in the forum still needs converter boxes. They only work "over the air" (No cable or Sat conversion) and output only low definition digital TV- RCA composite output. Ten bucks plus shipping (I am guessing another 5 bucks but could be less depending on where).

Everyone I know has finally gotten a new digital TV or have cable.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Your antana is prior to the change to digital so you most likly need one of these to get the antenna to work, Winegard Co - Winegard Wingman - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

Had the same problem and this was the fix.
This is NOT required to get digital TV. It just extends the range of your existing Winguard Sensor antenna in the UHF range. See my other posts.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #10

Concertone

So you are saying if we get a new antenna that will solve the problem. I was afraid I would have to get a new TV. If that is the problem thank you what a relief it would be.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #11

Angry Concertone

Lou,
I have a convertor box that I used with my other TV in the tent. If that is the case now we don't know how to hook it up to the TV mounted in the Camper. Feel real stupid but as a one system unit we were confused how we could hook it up if that was the problem. Cant even figure how to take TV down. Guess you just ran into a bunch of dumb dumbs
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
This is NOT required to get digital TV. It just extends the range of your existing Winguard Sensor antenna in the UHF range. See my other posts.
Correct, the TV must accept digital signal or have a box attached, the Antenna on our 2007 PUMA would not pick up the digital signal without the part I listed, granted it is sold as a signal extender but without it we got snow even at home where I have a clear line of sight to the TV stations antenna towers.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Guess you just ran into a bunch of dumb dumbs
Certainly not! This entire digital conversion is confusing at best and we deal with all aspects of problems in our RVs.

If you have a TV in your camper from 2006, you are not digital. (maybe digital ready - which is not the same thing).

Use the digital box from your tent tv as a test.

Unplug the F connector from the back of the camper TV and plug it into the converter box. Hook the output cables from the converter box to the audio and video inputs on your TV (might be same place your DVD plugs in). Set the input on the TV to that input setting (Video One or Two)

Use www.antennaweb.org to find the direction to aim your antenna at the transmission tower.

If signals are available you should have TV.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Correct, the TV must accept digital signal or have a box attached, the Antenna on our 2007 PUMA would not pick up the digital signal without the part I listed, granted it is sold as a signal extender but without it we got snow even at home where I have a clear line of sight to the TV stations antenna towers.
UHF digital signals are only good for 15 miles from the tower. Line of sight has nothing to do with range. The Winegard Wingman elements focus the weak UHF signals onto the existing UHF loop antenna inside the plastic amp housing on the Winegard Sensor antenna head.

Like a magnifying glass to light; the Wingman boosts the power of the digital signal the existing antenna receives. Winegard says it will increase UHF digital range to 45 miles. In my experience it does better than that.

NOTE: The Wingman does nothing for VHF digital signals. The "wings" of the antenna get VHF; not UHF.

As an aside; digital TV is "all or nothing." There is no such thing as a snowy TV signal. It is either perfect or a blank screen. It will sometimes "pixelate" if the signal is at the threshold of "good enough" as it cuts in and out.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
UHF digital signals are only good for 15 miles from the tower. Line of sight has nothing to do with range. The Winegard Wingman elements focus the weak UHF signals onto the existing UHF loop antenna inside the plastic amp housing on the Winegard Sensor antenna head.

Like a magnifying glass to light; the Wingman boosts the power of the digital signal the existing antenna receives. Winegard says it will increase UHF digital range to 45 miles. In my experience it does better than that.

NOTE: The Wingman does nothing for VHF digital signals. The "wings" of the antenna get VHF; not UHF.

As an aside; digital TV is "all or nothing." There is no such thing as a snowy TV signal. It is either perfect or a blank screen. It will sometimes "pixelate" if the signal is at the threshold of "good enough" as it cuts in and out.
Well thanks, that explains it, we are right at if not slightly more that 15 miles from those towers, as for snow now that I think back "blank" may have actually been what we had.

Anyways now, sorry for hijacking the thread and disregard my comments.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Upon "re-reading" my post; I found I made a "mis-statement."

"Line of sight has nothing to do with range."

Unamplified UHF signals have a maximum possible range of about 15 miles. If there is something in the way of your "Line of Sight" (like big trees, a building or a big metal object) it will REDUCE the possible range.

So, stuff in your line of sight and range do have a relationship.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
If that is the case now we don't know how to hook it up to the TV mounted in the Camper. Feel real stupid but as a one system unit we were confused how we could hook it up if that was the problem. Cant even figure how to take TV down.
Hate to say it, but now photos might be helpful.
Can you see where the antenna cable connects to the TV?
How about where the DVD connects? Is the DVD player part of the TV?

Is there a "game port" on the TV? (red, yellow and white RCA type sockets?)
Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #18

Im not sure what is plug into the TV We tried to get it down but couldnt so we stopped before we damaged something. I know the remote works on the Concertone unit not when shooting at the TV. Also down in the cabinet there is a bunch of different plugs but dont remember what they are. I think like video in/out and maybe to plug in games. It seems that maybe the tv is nothing but a monitor but the books I have dont say a thing. If you believe it we did try to read the instructions (the previous owners included all manuals Yea) but of course they didn't help
Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
Site Team

Lou is right about not needing a "digital" antenna.

if your TV is digital, then the older antenna will work. if it is older, it'll need a converter box. some of the early flat screen TVs were analog and didn't have a built-in converter.

our digital TV works with the original antenna in our '07 Roo.
i have an older TV that i have to add the converter box to use it.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Got some PM inquiries about the four units.

I have two new still sealed Sunkey Electronics SK-801ATSC Digital Converters; one sealed in the box Access HD DTA 1080D Digital Converter; and one opened, used briefly, Access HD DTA 1080D Digital Converter. All come with remotes and batteries. You can look up the specs.

Let me know if you want one by PM.
Just trying to recoup some of my costs as they are doing me no good on the shelf as I have since switched to cable.
Chap has first dibbs on his choice at this point.
I will post when they are gone.