Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

Connecting a Satellite

I have a Dish Tailgater package, and can run a direct line to the TV and receive the service expected. However, when I plug it into my camper (2011 Forest River 26TBud), I do not receive a signal on the Dish Receiver. The digital antenna works fine. What I'm expecting is that the coax connection at the back of my camper is tied into the same coax coming in under TV area.

I guess my questions are, do I misunderstand how the coax in the camper is connected, and should I try to plug my satellite in where the stock digital antenna comes in, and just not have that as an option when the satellite is an option?

I don't want to run any new wiring, or new holes if the existing architecture will do what I need it to do. Thank you.
bPerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Make sure your antenna booster is turned off then try the hookup
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bPerrier View Post
I have a Dish Tailgater package, and can run a direct line to the TV and receive the service expected. However, when I plug it into my camper (2011 Forest River 26TBud), I do not receive a signal on the Dish Receiver. The digital antenna works fine. What I'm expecting is that the coax connection at the back of my camper is tied into the same coax coming in under TV area.

I guess my questions are, do I misunderstand how the coax in the camper is connected, and should I try to plug my satellite in where the stock digital antenna comes in, and just not have that as an option when the satellite is an option?

I don't want to run any new wiring, or new holes if the existing architecture will do what I need it to do. Thank you.
If you are saying all you have on the outside of your camper is one input, it is for cable and more than likely has at least one splitter in-line somewhere. Cable splitters will not work with satellite. You need special satellite splitters/multi-switches. If there are no splitters, you can reconfigure the wiring at your TV amplifier outlet.

Bruce
Old 06-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #4

generally, RVs aren't designed for their 'Cable' coax input to accept Satellite signals, since the line is generally 'split' to all TVs(at some point, even if it goes to an entertainment box first), and the Satellite input/output needs to be a direct line to the RECEIVER, which powers it and provides the signal translation.
Usually, you'll find that you need to run your coax Satellite cable directly from the satellite Antenna to your TV's receiver. Now, some receivers have a 'TV out', which also allows you to run a coax cable to another TV to view the same signal.

You may be able to run your satellite coax into the rear of your entertainment box, so that the signal can be shared to all TVs, but it must go to your receiver FIRST, so that you can change the channels, before it goes into the box. If you see a 'Sat In' on your box, then that is what it is for.

Some higher end coaches take this into consideration and provide much greater wiring/electronics to provide satellite signals to 'all' TVs.

For our Satellite system, which is a portable KingTailgater2 dual output antenna, usually mounted on the rear of the roof, I just run two coax cables down the rear of the motorhome, with one going to the wet bay where it connects to my cable for my Bedroom TV receiver, and the other to the opposite outside bay where it connects to my Outside TV receiver. All of this was custom runs by my own doings, as the original factory wiring is really just a way to 'share' a signal with all TVs, but Satellite doesn't work well for that. Cable, yes. Antenna, yes. Maybe even a DVD, but not Satellite since each TV really needs it's own receiver.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #5

Tried it both ways with the same result. It does not look like I have the wiring in place to support what I want to do. I suppose a cordless drill is my next option!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 AM   #6

The camper has one input, outside on the back of the camper. Based on the replies I've seen, it sounds like that is for cable, though I have not seen it work. The camper also has a digital antenna on the top. I have seen it work, and would like to leave it in place. I'm anxious to get to a camp site (for multiple reasons!) to see what what functionality is available as is. I'll most likely need to do something custom to get my satellite. We only have one TV and will not be trying to split the satellite. Thank you for the great information!
Old 06-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #7

I pulled the plates inside the trailer and had to add another wall plate. Find the main line coming in and work from there. There are instructions on line to assist on what needs to be done for things to all work together.
guyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #8

X2 - what guyster said. A friend of mine had the same issue with the one outside input. He removed the wall plate, disconnected the cable in and used a small jumper with a butt connector between to hook directly to his sat receiver. Did this just to make sure it would work and it did. So he put another wall plate with a feed thru connector in it, and ran that input cable to it. Now he can hook his sat receiver or directly to tv if he happens to be at campground with cable. Hope this helps. Happy camping!
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
X2 - what guyster said. A friend of mine had the same issue with the one outside input. He removed the wall plate, disconnected the cable in and used a small jumper with a butt connector between to hook directly to his sat receiver. Did this just to make sure it would work and it did. So he put another wall plate with a feed thru connector in it, and ran that input cable to it. Now he can hook his sat receiver or directly to tv if he happens to be at campground with cable. Hope this helps. Happy camping!
This is what I was talking about.

Bruce
Old 06-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #10

You guys have been great help. I need to find access I can work with. Thank you very much.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #11

Thanks again for your replies to help me out. The street connection terminates at the amplifier. I was able to disconnect it and terminate it directly to my satellite box. I've also come up with an idea to install a jumper to still allow me to plug into campground cable, without needing a phillips head . There may be some other options at my local RV supplier. Regardless, I've learned something this week, and thankful for our guidance.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bPerrier View Post
Thanks again for your replies to help me out. The street connection terminates at the amplifier. I was able to disconnect it and terminate it directly to my satellite box. I've also come up with an idea to install a jumper to still allow me to plug into campground cable, without needing a phillips head . There may be some other options at my local RV supplier. Regardless, I've learned something this week, and thankful for our guidance.
A cheap, down and dirty way is use an A/B switch to switch the park cable input between the sat receiver and the booster (amplifier) panel original connection. Just one way that cost's about $5. An A/B coax switch is not the same as a splitter and will not interfere with the sat antenna to sat receiver signal
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite