Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #41
RLW

UPDATE: thanks for the comments/suggestions. I tried the idea of the BBQ lighter and it fired up but only for 4 seconds. Tried multiple times, same thing, 4 seconds and it shuts off. There is a youtube video showing the same problem with the same Suburban WH. His turned out to be a Control Board (as he stated in his comments below the video). Here's the video link for anyone interested (you can jump ahead a to 7 minutes on his trouble shooting):
Old 04-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #42

You say all valves are in line with hoses. Line in and out should be in line. The valve between the two, should be perpendicular to the hose. If that valve is open, you are still by passing the heater.
tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:25 PM   #43

Having similar problem as original post. Returned tonight from first campout of the season, starting Year 2, so we're still noobs. Used our FR 29RE Silverback 5th several times last year without any related problem. Now whole weekend heating water on stove. Have no earthly idea where the WH is. Don't recall being a part of orientation, so don't know where to search for valves mentioned. Reread manuals and until this discussion had no idea what DSI FLT light meant. Had no idea tank was propane so must've simply fluked into success last year. We typically camp exclusively with full hookups and avoid propane use. We guessed we had burned out heating element. Still a bit puzzled about switch labeled TANK HEATER. We're guessing it is to prevent freezing Black and Gray water tanks in cold weather and Not related to our issue.

Also puzzled about water running from beneath RV. Thought I had forgotten to close fresh water tank drain valve but found it was actually coming from a second white hose nearby like there was no tomorrow. Initial guess is an overflow from Fresh Water tank. In process of diagnosing WH issue, we shut all water into RV and it Eventually stopped. Must've flipped the right switch accidentally and flow didn't recur.
DeeMac52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briyoung View Post
Yes all valves are running in line with hoses
Usually, only 2 out of 3 valves should be "inline" . . . the hot from the tank and the cold to the tank. The third valve is the bypass and should be 90 degrees to the water line. If inline, you could be mixing hot water with cold.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBBA11043 View Post
Usually, only 2 out of 3 valves should be "inline" . . . the hot from the tank and the cold to the tank. The third valve is the bypass and should be 90 degrees to the water line. If inline, you could be mixing hot water with cold.
The OP acknowledged such back in post#15. He's been fixed up.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
We were unable to get the gas water heater to come on in our new Cedar Creek 34RE. TRied everything, no go. Electric worked however as we were plugged in. Decided to contact the dealer.

When we arrived home and were not connected to the electricity the gas water heater worked like a pro.

The water heater is the 12 gallon Suburban. I believe that it automatically goes on electric when plugged in if the electric switch on the unit is on or not. I could not get both to come on which I though it should. Going to test some more in June when we take off for a month. Gas would not come on.

I am confused.

Going to test more.

I'm going to answer because I had this same head scratcher.
Yet, the answer will make you slap your head. It did me.

IF the electric element has the water temp HOT..........then the propane is NOT going to kick on. You can't 'get them both on' if the water is already hot.

Nothing is broken.

However, here's what we do. I leave the elec element on all the time when we are hooked up to FHU sites. Never is it off. BUT.......if we are going to take 2 showers back to back (and we do NOT Navy Shower!!), I turn on the propane switch. At that time, nothing happens. But somewhere along the way of those two showers, the propane will kick on if/when it is needed due to water temp in HW Tank cooling off.

Then when we get out of both showers, I turn propane switch off.

Voila.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The OP acknowledged such back in post#15. He's been fixed up.
You should let Tom3205 know too!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #48
Just as confused as you

DeeMac52, have you located you water heater? Look on the outside of your RV for a panel that looks similar to the ones below. To find the location inside the RV, imagine where it is on the outside and look inside the cabinet, behind a drawer, under the bed or such. The valves are most likely on the back side of the water heater tank though some 5th wheels and motorhomes are different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHCoverAtwood.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	170219   Click image for larger version

Name:	WHCoverSuburban.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	170220  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBBA11043 View Post
You should let Tom3205 know too!
I think you just did.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote