Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #21

I think you are right. According to my dealer it looks like the fans now come standard with most new TT's. I like your idea about adding a switch to turn off the fans at night. It is an easy fix.
I have given second thought to adding a 110v fan that is on continuously. When I was moving the sensor, I noticed a build up of dust and etc on the coils above the fans. The added air flow of a fan that is on continuously may mean the coils would have to be cleaned often to keep the fridge operating effeciently.
Michigan Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #22

On our 2011 21SS the kitchen is not on a slide out and I can hear fans. Although its not so loud as to disturb or prevent sleep..
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #23

I have a 2011 Flagstaff 23FBS and my fridge is also not on a slide. I think Dometic is adding the fans to all units now. My fans are also not that noisy but they cycle on and off very frequently and that is the annoying part.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #24

Michigan Snowman thanks for the update on the suggested fix from Dometic!

My plan of attack on this annoying issue... 1) Install a cheap switch to turn off the fan at night. Be nice if the switch could be in the kitchen cabinet. 2) move the sensor over as much as easily possible.

My unit vents right out through the roof, so on most nights I'd imagine the fan is overkill. I've had Dometic fridges on all my campers and this is the first one with a fan. On my last one I installed a small PC fan on a switch to improve air movement and it's efficiency.

I don't think turning the fan off occasionally would break anything, the fridge/freezer would just not operate as efficient. On especially hot nights you could always leave it on, cause you'll be hearing the A/C all night anyway.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid21SS View Post
we camp at different campgrounds about 2.5 hr drive radius and have yet to hear quiet until 2 am or so. Maybe we should cross the border into PA?
We have a membership at a private ROD resort and that may be the reason it's quieter than most public campgrounds we've stayed at. What's that line- 'membership has it's advantages' or something?

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #26
49 year camping veteran

The damn fan cycles continuously all night regardless of it being 40 or 90 degrees..
Will mention to the dealer next week, and may add a switch to it as mentioned.
I've for years used a pancake fan on other trailers to improve efficiency, especially during hot weather. My old KIT fridge wouldn't stay cold enough without it running.
Maxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
I'm so happy I found you guys. That fan noise is also driving me crazy ! At least, I have a few solution now to look for.

Just had our Solera SS24SS for 2 months and simply love it, that fan problem is the only negative so far.

I will start to check on the roof if there is a vent exit there. I have notice on Winnebago View that they have two vent/service trap for the fridge, one at the bottom like ours and another one 4 feet higher. I'm sure they get a better ventilation that way.

I'm sure I have hours and hours of reading ahead on that forum.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #28

Welcome to the Fridge Fan club......I tried all the tricks to help with the noise problem. I called Dometic and the only help I received was to relocate the thermo switch that controls the fans. The themo switch is a small round disc that is attached to the coils above the fan by crimping it on the tube. I was able to slide it all the way to the left to get it away from the fan, but that did not help. I then added a quiet 110 volt fan as one member suggested. It works pretty good but still did not stop the other fans completely.
I feel the best solution is to add a switch near the Fridge that will turn the fans off at night. They were only added by Dometic to help the effeciency of the Fridge in hot weather under normal use of opening and closing the Fridge. That condition doen not exist at night so the fans aren't required then. Hope that helps.

Tags
fan