Old 05-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

cure for dometic fan on and off cycling

I found a fix for my dometic model 2652 cooling fan that cycle on and off all the times and keeps us awake at night and for many members of this forum. On all if not most of my 13 travel trailers that I went through over the years I always installed a fan inside under the return liquid coils to help the cooling and make the fridg cools better in hot weather. So I did the same with this pesty problem on my 2011 rockwood trailer. The fan I always use is a fan that they install in the freezer of domestic home fridg. These 110 volts fans are very quiets and fit beautifully in small places. I added 2 three inches L shaped brackets and made a small modification to the bracket that comes with these fans. No screwing were done for the mounting. The fan fits perfectly between the fridg box and the bracket plate for the electronic control box. And gess what. With this frig new fan the crazy built in 12 volts motor stay totally quiet and dont even run. We dont even hear this 110 volts new fan inside and I am looking for my next camping trip for relaxing sleep at night. The only problem is if you camp without electricity it will not work unles you plug it on an inverter. SEE MY PICTURES! PS: I have installed a inline switch so I can shut off the fan when I dont need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06620.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	6010   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06621.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	6011  

Old 05-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #2

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like an easy DIY fix for the stock fan issue. I too have installed fans in previous popup's with fridges. Guess I'll be adding one to my TT now as well. Ever thought of using a fan tied into the 12volt system?

Only other solution I have heard is pulling the fridge and moving the factory fan sensor to a new location. Dometic said on the phone that service centers will do it for free. But none of the ones I've talked to were even aware of the issue or the recommended Dometic fix. My dealer says it's "normal" for the fan to cycle on and off. Normal or not it's freaking annoying.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #3

Brianb: the reason I wanted to install an ac 110 volts instead is that all dc motors are noisier than ac motors. This little fan that I use is so quiet that it is almost impossible to hear it and it gives a terrific amount of cfm's for its size. I find strange that Dometic is willing to pull the sensor farther for free. I have never seen a recall or bulletin regarding this matter.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

Where did you get the fan?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

My 2652 doesn't have a cooling fan. Are you referring to the converter fan cycling on and off? Not sure how that could be related to a fridge running on 120v.

Edit:

Ah, I did a little googling and found that it's not part of the Dometic fridge, but rather the RV manufacturer's installation. It applies to fridges that vent out the side on slideouts rather than through the roof. Mine vents up through the roof, so that must be why I don't have one.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #6

CWOCG; this fan is avaliable in all if not most of the appliance parts stores. It is a universal model that is made for several fridgs and the price is under 20$. This fan is a life saver and believe me it work otherwise I would not pass this tread in this forum. Installation takes less than half hour. If you can find also a fridg recycler guy I am sure that he will give you one for free. Too bad you dont leave close to my place because we give away our old fridgs for the scrap and these fans motors are given away also. Good luck for your installation and enjoy all your nights without these on off cyclings.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #7

Dlhoppe; all the newer models 2652 are equipped with these fans.i know that the converter has one but the fridg has one also. If you dont have one it is probably because you have a older version. What year is your trailer? If you look in the scematic drawing of your owner manual you will see this fan. It says that the fan is an option but they comes with all the fridgs now.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #8

It's a 2006 model. That must be it.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #9

Thanks guys. I have the same issue with my 2010 Flagstaff. The fan cycles on for 45 sec and then off for 60 sec. It drives me and my wife crazy at night. I would like to try relocating the sensor first before installaing a new fan. Do any of you have any idea of how to do this. It looks like I will have to pull the fridge to do it.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #10

brianb, don't know if you have fixed the fan problem but I went to the dealer today and we called Dometic. There are two fans for my DM2652 fridge. The sensor was located directy above one of the fans. They told us to move the sensor as far to the left as possible to resolve the problem. My dealer didn't have time to do it so I took the six screws out, unhooked the gas line and slid the fridge forward about a foot. This gave me enough room to get a 1x2 piece of wood up inside. The sensor is mounted on the condensor tubing. I used the wood to gently bump the sensor to the left all the way to the turn in the tubing. Now I will have to wait and see if that does the trick.

Tags
fan