Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 19
Question Dead Circuit

Hi,


I have a 2017 Rockwood 2109S with a dead 12V circuit that controls the interior ceiling lights, porch lights, and awning. A month ago the fuse blew (indicated by red light in panel). Replaced 15 amp fuse and all worked fine. This week circuit is dead again, but fuse is fine. Loose ground? Where do all the leads come together? Where is the ground? Is there a wiring diagram available? Help! Where do I start?
__________________

__________________
2017 Rockwood 2109S
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee "Hemi"
jrl95608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Thurman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albany, GA.
Posts: 1,060
Are you checking the fuse by looking at it to see if the fusible link had broken or are you using a multi-meter to check the fuse out of the fuse box? Sometimes those 12vDC fuses will look good but really are not. Are there any other 12vDC circuits in you unit that are working good? IF so that would indicate that the fuse just behind the battery box (on a lot of units), usually under the RV is not blown. IF you have another/other 12vDC circuits that do not work I would certainly find and check that 12vDC fuse up front.
__________________

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 19
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Are you checking the fuse by looking at it to see if the fusible link had broken or are you using a multi-meter to check the fuse out of the fuse box? Sometimes those 12vDC fuses will look good but really are not. Are there any other 12vDC circuits in you unit that are working good? IF so that would indicate that the fuse just behind the battery box (on a lot of units), usually under the RV is not blown. IF you have another/other 12vDC circuits that do not work I would certainly find and check that 12vDC fuse up front.

I replaced the fuse with a fuse from a working circuit just to be sure. Other circuits working O.K.
__________________
2017 Rockwood 2109S
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee "Hemi"
jrl95608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 7,728
If the fuse blew, there was most likely a short. Have you made any changes to the RV ( screws in a wall etc). I don't believe it is a ground issue, sounds like the power side is shorting to ground somewhere along the path.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 19
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If the fuse blew, there was most likely a short. Have you made any changes to the RV ( screws in a wall etc). I don't believe it is a ground issue, sounds like the power side is shorting to ground somewhere along the path.

Thanks for your service! You are probably correct. We just replaced the front "a frame" jack. I also talked to the dealer service dept. and he said a common problem was a pinched line, maybe on the rolling awning frame. Now I have to figure out how to unroll the awning with no power!
__________________
2017 Rockwood 2109S
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee "Hemi"
jrl95608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl95608 View Post
Thanks for your service! You are probably correct. We just replaced the front "a frame" jack. I also talked to the dealer service dept. and he said a common problem was a pinched line, maybe on the rolling awning frame. Now I have to figure out how to unroll the awning with no power!

this might help
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 19
Local repair shop found a break in a line from the fuse box to the Trailer Control Panel. Unfortunately the break is somewhere underneath and hidden by the insullation padding, so the tech ran a new line from the last visible "hot" spot to the Control Panel. Who knows what caused the break? Rodent, other? Anyway, after diagnosis and rewire time, it was a $350 fix!
__________________

__________________
2017 Rockwood 2109S
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee "Hemi"
jrl95608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.