Old 08-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #1

Dead Dometic 2193 3-way?

I'm guessing my Dometic has bit the dust, and from what I have heard, just as cheap to replace (approx. 680 - Amazon) or have fixed.
Before last trip, the AC cooled the fridge nicely, connected to the TV, switched to DC, towed about 3 hours, parked and turned on propane.

Did not feel l like DC kept it cool on the trip like it used to, especially since this was a short trip for me.

Check the fridge fuse; fridge fuse was blown, replaced

Two day camping on propane. First day 91 outside, temp kept going up to 50, that night when temps dropped to the 40, fridge dropped down to 29. Next day, in the 70s, fridge would not go below 45.

Got home, plugged trailer into AC for a week. Cleaned the burner and jet; not that dirty.

Left propane running all night temps went up to 61 even though nightime was in the low 60s.

Switched to AC (high) and after six hours, temp actually went up to 73 (outside temps in the 80).

Plug fridge is plugged into has 120V; DC wires to fridge have 12V, propane tanks are full, and when on Propane there is a nice blue flame (hard to see, but it is there).

AC and propane are heating up the flue pipe is hot as heck and the vent fan I have at the top in the fridge vent area is running during the day (not at night). It comes on at 100 degrees goes off at 99 degrees (as measured where the fan is inside the vent opening. It is facing out and hopefully removing hot air.

This is all new, last year I could get the fridge down to at least 35 on days well over 90 degrees.

So, anyone have an idea of what to check next? It is only a four year old fridge.

I'm feeling that if I want food and drinks, I need to order a new one. Which should be very easy to replace since there are about 10 screws holding it in place so all I would have to do is unplug the AC, disconnect the DC wires, disconnect the propane, pull out the new one, push in the new one; then find a place to trash the hold one.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Is there any signs of the refrigerant leaking out anywhere?

What do you have the thermostat set on?

What do you have the gas valve set on?

After it's been running about an hour, if you touch the burner box and the absorber, do they feel about the same temp?

Old 08-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Is there any signs of the refrigerant leaking out anywhere?

What do you have the thermostat set on?

What do you have the gas valve set on?

After it's been running about an hour, if you touch the burner box and the absorber, do they feel about the same temp?
No apparent leakage of ammonia by sight or smell.
gas and AC were set on HIGH for days at a time.
It's getting hot that's for sure, the vent fan turns on at 100 degrees and even this AM at 70 degrees it was coming on/off, but the AC actually started to work for no apparent reason.

Will keep it on AC while I load it up today and lower the roof, turn it to the normal setting of 7, keep an eye on the temp reading untill I head out on Wednesday, switch to DC when pulling to the mountains, and if still cool, switch to propane and see what happens.

With it at least starting to work in one mode, I can rule out a leak in the system and start looking at the switch controller.

Just one of those great features brought to you by Dometic.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic