Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #1

Dead Radio?

Over the weekend while camping at an ocean side camp ground we had a very powerful thunderstorm pass by. One bolt of lightning was particularly close where the light & sound were simultaneous which means it was probably within a couple of hundred feet. The following morning our AM/FM radio is only producing static. The CD player works intermittentally but the blue tooth works with our iPhone.

Any chance of repairing this or do I need a total replacement?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #2

Static? Are you on AM? Is the frequency correct? Warranty?

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
Static? Are you on AM? Is the frequency correct? Warranty?
All I get on am/fm now is static. Before the storm it was working fine. Don't think it'll be covered by warranty as it will probably be considered an "act of God" kind of thing.?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Two things I can think happened:

1) The radio's tuner got fried. Solution: Replace
2) The antenna was loose, and the thunderstorm knocked you around just enough to fully unseat it. Solution: Pull radio and plug antenna back in.

#2 is an easy fix, so it's what I'd check first.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If the storm had damaged your radio you would also have several other things fried in your RV.

Like the microwave...televisions...your fuse box...and more!

And chances are your power pedestal would have popped off first.

I'm guessing that maybe the wind may have blown the coax around on your roof antenna (if it is connected to that) or an outside mounted AM/FM antenna.

If your radio is connected to the roof antenna, check to see if the antenna amplifier is turned on!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #6

The unit is probably not worth fixing and you can get a much higher quality one.

AM usually has static and FM might have a low hiss but not static is the reason I ask. If you have verified correct frequency and modulation (AM-Amplitude Modulation, FM- Frequency Modulation) then the unit is probably bad.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If the storm had damaged your radio you would also have several other things fried in your RV.

I'm guessing that maybe the wind may have blown the coax around on your roof antenna (if it is connected to that) or an outside mounted AM/FM antenna.

If your radio is connected to the roof antenna, check to see if the antenna amplifier is turned on!
Good point. Other than losing our AM/FM reception everything else is working (TV, Microwave, Fridge) so I'm going to check the antenna connection 1st and hope that it.

Thanks guys
Old 08-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
The unit is probably not worth fixing and you can get a much higher quality one.

AM usually has static and FM might have a low hiss but not static is the reason I ask. If you have verified correct frequency and modulation (AM-Amplitude Modulation, FM- Frequency Modulation) then the unit is probably bad.

I agree, however both am & fm were working fine earlier in the evening before the storm. We're in a very dense broadcast area with little, if any, bandwidth available for new stations so if the radio was working, we'd heard it.

If checking the antenna doesn't do the trick I will probably look for a better radio to replace it with.

Anyone have any suggestions for an upgrade?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

All depends on 'how' it fried. If the charge came in through the electrical system, then yes, a lot of that stuff would have also been affected. But a radio basically has it's own lightning rod sticking up in the form or it's antenna. A nearby strike would have put enough current in the air for the antenna to channel straight into the tuner of the radio, possibly only frying that portion of the radio.

But I agree with you (as I stated above) that the first thing to check would be the antenna connections. You also gave me another idea for the OP to check. He might need to go see if there's any physical damage to the antenna itself. blowing debris might have bent/removed it.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
Good point. Other than losing our AM/FM reception everything else is working (TV, Microwave, Fridge) so I'm going to check the antenna connection 1st and hope that it.

Thanks guys
My radio was connected to the roof antenna when I first bought my 5'ver three years ago, but found that it was shorting out the TV antenna and cable signal, so I disconnected it and put a marine antenna inside the entertainment center and will soon be mounting an outdoor antenna on the outside of that slide.

Anyway, when it was still connected to the roof antenna, if either of the TV's were turned on at the sametime the radio was turned on I'd loose reception on both TV's and the radio.

So if I wanted to listen to the radio I'd have to turn the TV's off...or turn the radio off to watch TV!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I agree, however both am & fm were working fine earlier in the evening before the storm. We're in a very dense broadcast area with little, if any, bandwidth available for new stations so if the radio was working, we'd heard it.

If checking the antenna doesn't do the trick I will probably look for a better radio to replace it with.

There's a whole wide world of possibilities for an upgrade. While most of these units come with these 'RV' specific units, you can basically use pretty much any Car Radio you want as a replacement, as long as you don't mind losing the ability to select your zone's right from the unit. A simple speaker switch can take care of that need.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #12

"A nearby strike would have put enough current in the air for the antenna to channel straight into the tuner of the radio, possibly only frying that portion of the radio."

This what I believe happened. The strike was so close there was no lag between the flash & the extremely loud thunder clap.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #13

Back in 1985 while standing on my front porch in southern Michigan watching an intense thunderstorm, lightning struck the telephone pole right at the end of my driveway (scared the krap out of me ) and a large thing on the pole that looked like a trash can exploded, causing flames to run down the power lines from the pole to my house.

I called 911 immediately and the flames were extinguished before they reached the house, but as it turned out the negative line was fried.

Along with my washer and dryer, refrigerator, several stereo units in the house, all of the TV's, microwave oven, kitchen stove, dishwasher...pretty much anything that was plugged in to a wall socket!

Even fried out the electronics on the furnace, which I didn't discover until several months later (storm was in June and didn't think to try the furnace until winter).

Luckily, insurance covered most of the items.

But since the insurance claim was already made they wouldn't cover the furnace repairs.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
The strike was so close there was no lag between the flash & the extremely loud thunder clap.
That could be up to a mile or more away...
Old 08-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #15

Quote:
That could be up to a mile or more away...
Not really.

Since sound travels at about 1080 feet per second, and the flash & sound were virtually simultaneous, it had to be less than 1100 feet away.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #16

Any radio that the RV industry does not use!
Quote:

Old 08-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #17

You're probably 100% correct

Tags
radio