Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Defective Furnace?

Purchased Rockwood 2608 WS new November 2013 and all was going well...until today with subfreezing temperatures. Furnace will not ignite. I hear a single click when furnace is turned on and then nothing. No fan turning. No ignition sound. No heat output. No unusual mechanical sounds.
Water pump ignites and heats well.
Stove burners light without problems.
No tripped breaker box.
AC/FAN works well.
Plenty of LP.
No blockage of outside vents. No LP odors from vents.
So far I have turned off LP tanks and then reengaged by turning on slowly.
I have totally disconnected/reconnected land electric power to trailer. Nothing thus far has been able to get the SUBURBAN furnace to ignite/engage.
Talked to local RV dealership (not the one I purchase unit from)...they think it is thermostat and would make a house call for $75/hr and put on temporary thermostat as they do not have right thermostat in stock.
Talked to service technician on Coach-Net...he thinks it is the furnace unit itself and instructed me to take TT to RV dealership for replacement as it is under warranty.
Anyone have any suggestions on cause/fixes? New to the RV world and am perplexed as to what else could be wrong. A bit disconcerting as this is a brand new unit in use for only 3 months.
TIA

Old 01-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If the furnace isn't coming on, nothing else will happen. Here's a link to the Suburban Furnace trouble-shooting guide in the forum library... Forest River Forums - Downloads - Furnace - Suburban furnace troubleshooting

A mobile RV tech may be the best optional. Do you have electrical heaters for back-up?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #3

Well if you hear a click at the furnace then it is not the thermostat. If you have a compressor you can blow air into the inlet of the furnace air intake outside to try to make the blower fan to turn. Sometimes it is the brushes on the rotor of the motor that don't make good contact and it will not start.

PS: if you don't have a compressor but you have a shop vac, just use the exhaust output of the shop vac to blow air into the intake of the furnace...
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
If the furnace isn't coming on, nothing else will happen. Here's a link to the Suburban Furnace trouble-shooting guide in the forum library... Forest River Forums - Downloads - Furnace - Suburban furnace troubleshooting

A mobile RV tech may be the best optional. Do you have electrical heaters for back-up?

Dave
Was reading that particular article when you replied. May have to drop by Walmart or Home Depot and get the equipment to check for amps draw along the circuit to see if the heater is not getting enough juice to fire up. Can't image that being the case though as it has worked ok until now. I did notice however during the last several days that the unit was short cycling, running for 3-5 minutes before shutting down and never recycling unless I turned it off and restarted unit. Obviously that was a warning sign of worse things to come.
Yes I have electric space heaters for tonight.
Thanks for relying.

Larry
Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #5

That was my opinion regarding the thermostat being ok if I got a click at the furnace; Not gonna get any clicks if no power to the unit. Had a hard time convincing the RV service dept of that fact. No shop vac with me as I'm on the road. Have a smaller air compressor for tire inflation that I might give a try.
Looks like I'm about to start my learning curve....

Thanks for the tip.

Larry
Old 01-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
Denver, CO

Short cycling is frequently a symptom of a control board on the way out. And now it sounds like it may be gone. I would guess that its not the blower, but I would still check all the wiring and voltages just in case. Lots of vibration with going down the road so it pays to check it out thoroughly.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
Site Team

This isn't a "short cycle" it's not doing anything other than click.
The blower might be stuck or bad.
This has been discussed here frequently.
If you can manage to turn the blower you might find it moves off
the dead spot and runs.
If so it's a bad blower motor.
I would not suspect the board yet.

You're still in warranty! Call someone!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
the dead spot and runs.

It was short cycling (running 3-5 minutes and shutting off, requiring a thermostat restart) 2 days before it just stopped totally and now just a single click at furnace when thermostat turned to heat. Since its only a single click I too suspect its probably the blower not activating to create air flow to close the sail switch, complete the circuit and prepare for ignition/combustion. Since I hear nothing but a single click, do not hear/feel the blower I suspect this is the issue. I believe if the blower were operational I should still feel some air coming from the inside vents as it cycles up. I think if the problem were later in the cycle I would hear 3 clicks as it attempts to ignite but its just IMO not getting that far into the process.

I bought an air compressor today and shot air through the intake/outflow vents @ 60 PSI. No changes in symptoms...still the just a single click. I could not hear blower turn when I dusted vents. I will attempt to remove door inside RV tonight and see if I can manually turn blower.

I went to Forest River website yesterday. It seems they put the burden on local RV dealers to determine if it is a defective part. I have appointment with service dept tomorrow for inspection/repair. I suppose the RV dealership has to call Forest River for preauthorization of warranty repairs.

Located door inside RV to inspect furnace...tight quarters and screwed into place. It looks like one side has hinges for opening the door; the other side is also screwed into place. I plan on putting a latch on one side so its not so much trouble in the future to get into the enclosure. Not sure why they didn't do that initially. Looks like its going to be a PIA to pull furnace from its cramped quarter.

BTW, I've read most of the other posts regarding this issue and took some advice from those in trying to trouble shoot this issue. Seems like there are a myriad of problems that occur with these units.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
the dead spot and runs.

THE OP said and I quote:

I did notice however during the last several days that the unit was short cycling, running for 3-5 minutes before shutting down and never recycling unless I turned it off and restarted unit.

Read the posts BEFORE you criticize the responses, please.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
Denver, CO

Please let us know what you find out, so we all can learn.

Tags
furnace