Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #1

Delay in blind spot camera

Just picked up a 2018 Sunseeker with the Pioneer head unit. The blind spot cameras have a significant lag, maybe 5 seconds, between when I engage the turn signal and when the monitor actually switches over to the camera. Anyone else have this issue or is this just unfortunately the limitation of the system?
DeckerNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #2

It is a limitation of the system. The 3 cameras are fed into a multiplexer which outputs the camera video based on a turn or backup trigger. The output of the multiplexer feeds in to the single input of the Pioneer head unit. They both introduce delays into the switching.

I was not happy with the delay (8 seconds) when switching back to the rear camera after a turn as I like to keep an eye on the toad. To solve the issue I added a separate monitor connected directly to the rear camera which displays the rear feed full time. The head unit only displays the side cameras when the turn signal is on. The other advantage is that the radio screen is displayed rather than the rear camera when going down the road.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
It is a limitation of the system. The 3 cameras are fed into a multiplexer which outputs the camera video based on a turn or backup trigger. The output of the multiplexer feeds in to the single input of the Pioneer head unit. They both introduce delays into the switching.

I was not happy with the delay (8 seconds) when switching back to the rear camera after a turn as I like to keep an eye on the toad. To solve the issue I added a separate monitor connected directly to the rear camera which displays the rear feed full time. The head unit only displays the side cameras when the turn signal is on. The other advantage is that the radio screen is displayed rather than the rear camera when going down the road.
Thanks - as a follow-up, what are you using for a dedicated monitor? May consider going the same route - the delay makes the cameras largely useless in my opinion and adding some dedicated monitors sounds like the practical fix. Can't say I'm overly impressed with the Pioneer head-unit in general but happy to just use it for the stereo.
DeckerNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #4

Might consider just using mirrors.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckerNY View Post
Thanks - as a follow-up, what are you using for a dedicated monitor? May consider going the same route - the delay makes the cameras largely useless in my opinion and adding some dedicated monitors sounds like the practical fix. Can't say I'm overly impressed with the Pioneer head-unit in general but happy to just use it for the stereo.
The system FR used is made by Rear View Safety. I used this monitor as I only wanted to separate out the rear camera. It was also necessary to use this adapter harness.
They also make a quad view monitor if you want to separate out all three existing cameras.

The Pioneer head unit is a low end unit, but it works great with the Sirius/XM module.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #6

This is my monitor to replace the display on the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I do not know what monitor your have but I installed a new Monitor to the left of the steering wheel so I could see the rear all the time instead of only when I am in reverse. I have used it since all last summer and love it. Only problem is I need a pole to wash the camera when it's dirty. It also gets fuzzy when it rains.

From an older (June 2018) Thread: Rear camera monitor

Amazon: Padarsey 7 Inch LED Backlight TFT LCD Monitor for Car Rearview Cameras:
Price: $27.99

I installed a 7' monitor to turn on whenever the engine on. I used the RCA video cable going to the radio. It the shows rear view all the time except when the turn signal is on, then it show the left or right view. I have used it for a year and love it.

The photo was taken while stopped on an empty road. It is only powered when the engine is on.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera