Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

Dewinterizing residential fridge ice maker

Hello, first time in here. We have a 2016 Columbus with a residential fridge. It has a panel for all water actions, filling, siphoning anti-freeze, etc. We had the dealer winterize everything and that included the ice maker. I am trying to dewinterize now, and can get everything except the ice maker. I cannot get it to fill, with either city water or internal fresh water. There is a small bit of pink slush in the bottom of the tray. I know there both a drain and a cut-off valve under the slideout. Could there be another one? There is no outside panel to remove, no cut-off under the sink or any other cabinet. Many screws need to be removed to slide the fridge out. Any ideas?
billngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Chief tinkerer

billingail, can I assume that there is water pressure and fridge is powered? Doubtful you would need to slide the fridge out. We have a Dometic 12 cu/ft with ice maker and we can take the end cover off of the ice maker and there is a screwdriver slot in the drive gear that you use to turn until the cycle switch makes (with the bail down) and then it slowly turns through a dump / fill cycle. Takes several cycles to purge it. Click image for larger version

Name:	DBAA9A39-A332-4B20-8FB2-4A7B858ABA15.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	133051

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #3

Does the water dispenser work? If so, just turn it on and give it time. It often takes a while for the icemakers to get going.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #4

Thanks Gid. There is no front panel. Ice maker is in freezer section, no door dispenser for water or ice. We just open bottom freezer door and scoop out of bin. It is an LG. I have attempted to upload a picture of something that is midway in the water line, after an outside cutoff and drain value. Does anyone know what this is? The top spins freely in both directions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	133117  
Old 03-28-2017, 12:29 PM   #5

Yes, there is water to every faucet in the RV. But sadly no dispenser in the fridge.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #6

Finally! Thanks Gid and Scott for making me look harder. On one side of the maker is the arm that when up stops ice production. Makes sense. It was stuck in the up position. After taking out drawers I finally saw a button when pushed released the arm. Yeah. Now let it cycle a few times. Still do not know what the thing is in the picture above.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
Chief tinkerer

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170225_162519.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	133127
Push Pull type water cut off. One hand holds the line, the other pushes/ pulls. Only moves about 1/4 inch.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 03-28-2017, 01:59 PM   #8
Chief tinkerer

Also, some folks use air to purge the icemaker line and solenoid valve of all water by connecting a compressor to city water hookup then cycling it until only air comes out, then close the push/pull valve before pumping the pink through everything else. This saves having to purge the pink out of the icemaker lines in the spring.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS

Tags
fridge, winter