Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

Different volume on ABC Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Yep, they are NOT AV techs.
Heck most of them are not RV techs either.

Take a photo of the connections on your TV and I will tell you how to do it.
Tell me how to get more volume to the outside speakers without blasting DW out of the lr. Please.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Tell me how to get more volume to the outside speakers without blasting DW out of the lr. Please.
What model radio do you have?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Gt3.0
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I read your manual and it looks like the volume of individual speakers can be adjusted in the 5.1 surround mode (L/R) but not in the B or C stereo only set up. The settings for the surround can be changed for BIG or SMALL speakers.

You could try various settings of BIG or SMALL to quiet the L/R when the outside speakers are on.

Also the impedance for the speakers are 4 ohms but up to 8 ohms is allowed. It is most likely your exterior speakers are 8 ohms so that to drive the outside loud enough to hear, you are over driving the interior speakers. The only way to fix it if that is indeed the case is to replace your outside speakers with 4 ohm ones so the apparent volume is the same. Remember we are talking about impedance not resistance (though both are measured in ohms) and adding a resistor will not work.

You could also place an additional 8 ohm speaker on each outside channel and hook them in parallel 8 over 8 to reduce the amp load to 4 ohms that way. See last line in link.

Impedance Matching of Audio Components

You could also install an impedance matching transformer in the 4 ohm outputs to match the effective impedance of 8 ohms at the speaker.

Impedance Matching Transformer 20 Ohms To 16 8 4 Ohms 10 W - Everything Else

If that won't work for you try installing a variable resistor from zero to say 8 ohms in parallel with the speaker to tune it to a ratio that works for you. Resistor 90W 0-8 OHM Var. Load | 28-1225 (281225) | Distributed By MCM
Old 05-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #5

Quote:
I read your manual and it looks like the volume of individual speakers can be adjusted in the 5.1 surround mode (L/R) but not in the B or C stereo only set up. The settings for the surround can be changed for BIG or SMALL speakers.

You could try various settings of BIG or SMALL to quiet the L/R when the outside speakers are on.

Also the impedance for the speakers are 4 ohms but up to 8 ohms is allowed. It is most likely your exterior speakers are 8 ohms so that to drive the outside loud enough to hear, you are over driving the interior speakers. The only way to fix it if that is indeed the case is to replace your outside speakers with 4 ohm ones so the apparent volume is the same. Remember we are talking about impedance not resistance (though both are measured in ohms) and adding a resistor will not work.

You could also place an additional 8 ohm speaker on each outside channel and hook them in parallel 8 over 8 to reduce the amp load to 4 ohms that way. See last line in link.

You could also install an impedance matching transformer in the 4 ohm outputs to match the effective impedance of 8 ohms at the speaker.

If that won't work for you try installing a variable resistor from zero to say 8 ohms in parallel with the speaker to tune it to a ratio that works for you. Resistor 90W 0-8 OHM Var. Load | 28-1225 (281225) | Distributed By MCM
Sounds like an awful lot of work. Here's my suggestion and what has worked for us. Turn the speakers up outside so you can hear them whle not disturbing other campers around you. Then shut off "A" and "B" and EVERYONE goes outside to sit around the campfire to relax; thereby no need for sound inside the TT. Problem solved with no additional work/mods!!!
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:

I have no problem buying whatever it takes, but being totally illerate on electronics, I would just be staring at parts as I have no earthly idea where to put whatever you think would be the simplest fix. I can wire houses, etc. but that is the limit of my electrical knowledge.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

I most likely would have been better off saying it can't be done.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I most likely would have been better off saying it can't be done.
OH NO! If you give me your best thing to try, I know someone in our Masonic Lodge that has the knowledge to understand and do the work. It is most appreciated. Just because I'm a dummy with electronics doesn't mean I can't find someone to help me. I truly appreciate your help.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Got a better idea

Audioplex FADERD Fade Control, Decora - HomeTech Solutions

Here is a fader that has built in impedance matching.

One stop shopping.

In fact I think I will be buying one myself.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

I think there might be an issue since the L/R is 5.1 surround sound.
You could just use the Left and Right stereo channels and disable the rear and center channel speakers, though.

Tags
led pad