Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2015, 11:16 PM   #1

Digital HDTV Antenna

I have on my 2015 Wind Jammer a Winegard Sensar lll. What would be the best upgrade to enhance the reception without changing the complete unit? I see Winegard makes a Wingman that appears to be able to attach to the shaft and also King Jack makes one to attach to the shaft as well.

Anyone do either of these? What was the cost and was it worth it? We do not want to go with satellite as we do not want the cost for the amount of TV we watch.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:04 AM   #2

The wingman will improve reception a lot. I doubt you will do better with anything else. Get the App. "TV Towers" to help determine the direction of the stations in your area.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:20 AM   #3

Got the wingman on ours, we are very happy with it.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #4

I installed a Jack and am quite impressed with the improved performance
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #5

We have the Jack HD. Works well. Dealer through it in with the new trailer and replaced the wingman and just bolts on.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #6

Can anyone let me know what it cost for either one?
Old 07-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
KING Digital HDTV Antenna Replacement Head - KING OA-8000 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

$38.21
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #8

Will check with a few dealers to see what they have and how much. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #9

Well after doing a lot of checking and talking with Winegard I am going to try the Rayzar Air replacement head and hope its not a waste of dollars.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #10

Well put the Rayzar Air on and didn't seem to make a hill of beans difference
I guess if I was in an area that has more towers it would work better as it picks up from opposite sides. It did make one channel a little clearer but really not worth the dollars.
Oh well I guess I have wasted $100.00 on worse things.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
Well put the Rayzar Air on and didn't seem to make a hill of beans difference
I guess if I was in an area that has more towers it would work better as it picks up from opposite sides. It did make one channel a little clearer but really not worth the dollars.
Oh well I guess I have wasted $100.00 on worse things.
Hmm, gets pretty good reviews but maybe not living up to it's hype. Is it possible you have an antenna cable problem, or pre-amp problem? Have you checked that voltage is getting to the antenna through the cable? Is there a little light somewhere on the antenna indicating power is getting to it?

I added this to my Wineguard Sensor and it does help.http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RFL-3...eywords=rayzar
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Hmm, gets pretty good reviews but maybe not living up to it's hype. Is it possible you have an antenna cable problem, or pre-amp problem? Have you checked that voltage is getting to the antenna through the cable? Is there a little light somewhere on the antenna indicating power is getting to it?

I added this to my Wineguard Sensor and it does help.http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RFL-3...eywords=rayzar
Nope everything is ok. I talked to Wingard and they assured me that the Rayzar Air would be much better than what I have. But I think that because of where I am at it isn't going to work any better.
They also gave me a site called tv fools to look up the towers. There are two within the same range as the two channels that I do get but won't pick them up.

Anyways until we leave this seasonal site in 6 weeks I won't be able to tell if it is better or not. As of right now it isn't. The girl at Winegard also said that they have a Sensar 5 coming out so not sure what that is about.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #13

I couldn't put on the wingman because it hung off the side of the trailer by 3 or 4", I had a wingman on my old TT and it worked well, but I went with the Jack instead. Glad I did I get alot more channels. Not many that I want to watch but they are there at least twice the #.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #14

This past week while at a park we couldn't catch any channels through the antenna (as usual ). We were at Walmart and I bought a $15 HD antenna. I connected it to the outside "cable" hookup. With this I was able to catch 1 channel, which is what other campers were catching. Pushed the ant. booster button and lost the channel. This tells me something is not connected properly to the trailer mounted antenna.
eortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eortiz View Post
This past week while at a park we couldn't catch any channels through the antenna (as usual ). We were at Walmart and I bought a $15 HD antenna. I connected it to the outside "cable" hookup. With this I was able to catch 1 channel, which is what other campers were catching. Pushed the ant. booster button and lost the channel. This tells me something is not connected properly to the trailer mounted antenna.
Nope even if you had good cable channels in the outside cable hookup, it would not work well with the amp button in on position. If you are using any signal on the outside cable connection, the amp needs to be turned off. The outside signal is connected after the amp in the system. So yours was working correctly. Analog signals can be very poor and you can still get some picture. Digital signals have a min signal level below which you get nothing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eortiz View Post
Sounds right unless the trailer mounted antenna wasn't pointed in the right direction. Does your antenna spin around?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Nope even if you had good cable channels in the outside cable hookup, it would not work well with the amp button in on position. If you are using any signal on the outside cable connection, the amp needs to be turned off. The outside signal is connected after the amp in the system. So yours was working correctly. Analog signals can be very poor and you can still get some picture. Digital signals have a min signal level below which you get nothing.
I don't understand. I connected a cheap $15 antenna to the outside cable input. I was able to catch 1 channel. The omni directional antenna mounted to the tt with the booster ON could not pull the 1 channel in that the $15 antenna did. How is this considered working properly. I was not trying to pull more channels in with the booster, I was trying to mimic what the $15 antenna did, with my factory installed antenna with a booster.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Sounds right unless the trailer mounted antenna wasn't pointed in the right direction. Does your antenna spin around?
Antenna is the omni directional. Doesn't move.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #19
Site Team

The omni antenna FR puts on many TT's is junk. Walmart ant prob directional.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The omni antenna FR puts on many TT's is junk. Walmart ant prob directional.
Understandable on junk. I find it hard to believe a plastic batwing looking ant. with wires on it hanging from a string on the side of my tt can be better than an ant. W/booster. Still say something is wrong between ant. and coaxial. Thanks for the .02.

Tags
antenna