Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #21

The booster is what you talked about in the last paragraph of your post #9 that you turn off and on.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
The phone line is for ordering PPV stuff. Nothing else. A silly Direct TV rule that they no longer try to enforce.

SO, what's a booster board, and how do you bypass it?

look at link on post #4. it shows booster. it's a small powered circuit board and ways to bypass it
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #23

You guys are probably rolling your eyes, and I'm sorry.

But why would I need to bypass it?
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #24

Quote:

I think you should try it without the bypass first... but assuming that doesn't work... it's because they are not designed to work with satellite dish/receiver connections, which is why a lot of RV have separate connections for Sat vs. Cable.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #25

Ok. But not sure I'll ever get to test this.........I can't get power to the TT!! (See other thread/question in another area, Elec and Charging).

I've had one heart attack? Do these things not stress y'all out totally? There is NO reason some of this stuff doesn't work! arrggghhh.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #26

Quote:

Seems like the circuitry of the board dosen't allow the power out from the receiver or inserter. I had to bypass mine to get it to work. I tried bath ways. I've run non HD for years and I had to bypass the booster
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #27

Bill,
HD and SWiM are not the same thing. SWiM is a new type of LNB that can provide multiple feeds over a single piece of coax. Before SWM, you had to have a separate connection for each tuner.

If you use the H23, you do NOT need a SWiM dish. This one will work fine: http://www.installeroasis.com/direct...for-rv-mobile/

I highly recommend this because the setup is simpler, there is no power injector, and you can use the signal meter that comes with the dish. The only thing you'll have to do is change the switch type in the receiver's satellite setup from SWM to multi.

Drew
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #28

Per your last sentence.

How do you do that....change the switch type in the receiver?

I have no clue why I have this receiver.......out of 4 that I have.........or why it's different. Or why I have what I have.........it's just what the installer put in the house. Man, this is crazy stuff.

P.S.
You know, this makes me want to change the original question. Let's phrase it this way:

I have 2 H25's, and one H23 at my house. I have a TV in the travel trailer. I want to buy a dish that will be EASY TO USE IN THE TT. I don't care if I have to buy another receiver, use one of the two in my house, or any combination of the above. I want it to be easy, but still get HD TV with the same package I get at home (I want Cardinal Baseball!!!!)......anything else is gravy.

So, which system do I need? (I'm calling Satellite Oasis Monday, and see what they say)........
Old 06-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #29

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you even more. You change the switch type when you go through the on-screen setup after you've plugged everything in. If you decide to use a box from home, you'll have to do this as part of the setup.

I know it all seems clear as mud right now, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. I just went through a similar learning curve. I recently upgraded to the Genie and got rid of my last low-def box. I had been taking that and an old 18" round dish on camping trips. Now I'll be taking an HR24 and since its HD, I want an HD dish. I'll be ordering the kit I linked to above, HD non-SWM. It's cheaper and less complicated than the SWM setup.

To try and answer your new question, if money were not an issue, I would get a receiver just for the TT and this dish: TRAV
It doesn't get much easier than that!
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #30

When SWiM is Good

I hate to muddy the waters even more, but you need to consider one more thing before you order a dish kit. You may at some point want a DVR's multituner capability, maybe to record a Rams game while watching the Cards. A SWiM dish will feed both tuners over one coax. My VCross VFK27 has two coax inputs, but only one will pass satellite. I switched to SWM, and like it. The kit referenced above needs two coax cables to feed two tuners, but you can change it to a SWM system easily and for less than $100 if your needs change.

One final point - to align your hi def dish (SWM or not) you will want a meter that will let you select which satellite you are "listening" to. I gross tune to the satellite at 101, then fine-tune to 119 (my meter doesn't get 103, but peaking 119 works fine). Before I got the meter I found that I was having trouble getting HD channels, even though my 101 transponders were reading 80s and 90s. I use Orbital Tracker's Tracker Light, but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

One really, really final point - make sure the pole in your tripod is as vertical as you can measure it with a bubble level before aligning the dish. Alignment is easy once you accomplish this (although it may not seem like it from all these words). Happy viewing!
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #31

These waters are muddier than the Miss River, already!!!

I do appreciate EVERYONE'S input. I figured this was why dealers don't know diddley squat about this, none of them. I still think if I figured it all out, I could go into business selling/installing these to new TT buyers.

I am torn between having "Hard to use and neat and new" vs. "Easier to use but less robust"............

I am going to talk to the place in Indiana that I found that sells all these units and is the one that comes up on any Google.........and not many sources come up at all. Regardless of which way I go, I am secondarily torn between jerking a receiver out of the house every trip or just buying one and leaving in camper. A used H23 can be had for $60.00. Lord knows I've spent fourteen point nine grazillion already (none of which I have).

And rest assured, if there is any way to muck up this deal, I can do it!!! I'm a Pro at that. Heck, it took me 4 hours yesterday to get power to the TT!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Man, I'm getting more confused by the minute.
It looks like a standard coax connection. Here is a pic of it closed, and then the plastic cover opened, on the outside of camper. This is the only one of these it has:

This is connected to a port above the tv and then with another coax to the only place this TV has for a coax connection....and it's labeled "RF Connection" on the TV.

I did just notice this is a 12V TV and the only power connection is labeled 12V!!! Then it has a converter to connect to 110 power outlet. I don't know why I'd need a 12V tv, it won't even work without being connected to full 30a service (I just tried it, and the TT is plugged to 15a home electric outlet, and the TV won't come on).

All that says to me, and I may be WAY wrong, that I can plug the outside TT connection to a cable TV coax, or a satellite coax. Not sure how the TV would know the difference.

However, now I'm confused as to how the TV knows to connect that one connection to either OTA antenna or to the connection pictured above???!!??? There is an on/off switch where the coax coming out of the tv connects to an outlet overhead, but the other half of that outlet (physically) is a 12VDC round plug in. So now I'm lost and about to call the dealer's tech and yell Uncle.
I have the same travel trailer as you, have directv(no hd), but also bought my satellite from satellite oasis. I went through this same thing a few months ago. The cable/satellite port on the side of the trailer will NOT work. It's cable only. Your satellite should have came with a white flat cable. It is meant to be ran through a window for this exact reason. Run it through the window right in front of the table(you will have to cut a small slit in the corner of the screen). It ended up working out well because I could hide the cables behind the window curtain. Sorry for the vague description I'm doing this from my phone. I'll try to post a pic later of how I also added a box for my receiver and how I ran all my cables.
Grey9712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #33

That's it.

I'm gonna jump. Don't try and stop me.

P.S.
What good is a 'cable' connection? Never saw a campground with cable tv!! And why does it say "Satellite" also??
Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #34

Quote:
That's it.

I'm gonna jump. Don't try and stop me.

P.S.
What good is a 'cable' connection? Never saw a campground with cable tv!! And why does it say "Satellite" also??
It's rare to find a commercial campground that doesn't have cable-TV. Why does it say "Sat"? Fooled you didn't it!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
One final point - to align your hi def dish (SWM or not) you will want a meter that will let you select which satellite you are "listening" to. I gross tune to the satellite at 101, then fine-tune to 119 (my meter doesn't get 103, but peaking 119 works fine). Before I got the meter I found that I was having trouble getting HD channels, even though my 101 transponders were reading 80s and 90s. I use Orbital Tracker's Tracker Light, but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

One really, really final point - make sure the pole in your tripod is as vertical as you can measure it with a bubble level before aligning the dish. Alignment is easy once you accomplish this (although it may not seem like it from all these words). Happy viewing!
That bloody meter is $150!!!

If its really this hard, it's much harder than Dish. My meter cost $28 bucks. I don't even bother to get things level. I can find Dish birds with no trouble at all.

If you've got good strength on the right Sats, why wouldn't you have HD channels? I'm confused.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #36

This is not nearly as hard as it is being portrayed.

Satellite meter that should have came with your satellite. I have regular channels, you have hd. Your meter MIGHT be different but a satellite is a satellite, it's the type of dish that matters.

Here the flat cable I was talking about. The cable coming from the satellite outside will connect to the part of the flat cable that is outside. The part of the flat cable that is inside is connected to the back of the receiver by a satellite cable about 3 ft. long that should have been installed with your receiver in your house by the DirecTV workers.

This is what I have done to conceal most of the mess of cables, and have a place to put my receiver.

Now. Before you get channels of any sort, you have to get on the right satellite. What I did to help was go here
Dish Pointer

Put in zip code. The elevation is most helpful. Set the satellite to the elevation it tells you, tighten the bolt, leave it. The azimuth is where the satellite finder comes in handy. On directv's website it will tell you an exact location but just find out if you need to be pointing north, south,east, or west. Point it in that direction.
Here is the connector that connects the short cable coming from the satellite itself, and the cable that plugs back in to the outside part of the flat cable.

unscrew that little connector and put the satellite finder in it's place. The satellite finder should now be backlit if the receiver is plugged in,inside the camper(it should be by now) Turn the dial labeled dB on the satellite finder until the needle on the finder jumps up to 5. The elevation on your satellite should be set, so slowly move the head of the satellite to the left, then to the right until the needle jumps to ten and a constant loud tone from the finder is accompanying it. Turn your tv and receiver on with your controllers and see if you have channels. If not move the head left or right until the finder jumps to 10 again, because if you don't have channels you picked up on the wrong satellite.
Grey9712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #37

Location: Northern Wisconsin during summer, Snow Bird in Gulf Shores, AL
As far as I'm concerned a man with out his Satellite Dish is lost. I started with a semi auto King Dome on top of our Motorhome. It was great as long as we were in an open area and didn't want HD. For about the last 6 years I have taken one of my receivers from the house when we traavel along with a dish on a tripod. When we switched to HD at home I found a Super Dish (3 LNBs) on EBay. It somethimes can be a pain in the butt to find the satellites, but other times I can preset the elevation and skew set it on the tripod turn to the azmith and I'm done. Key is having the tripod plumb. I carry extra cable so I can move the tripod to get a clear shot. With our new (to us) Cardinal I use the outside cable and satellite connections to connect to my reciever. Inside I use the prewired connections to feed the bedroom TV.
emtdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #38

OK, I see what you mean by flat cable. I didn't know they made flat coax. I thought you meant flat all the way from one end to the other.

I don't think we have the same TT. Here is a picture of mine, taken standing at back end of TT and looking forward, towards master bedroom. This double entry wall is where the TV is. (I have NO idea why they made cabinets that take up most of the wall space, this limits the size of TV you can have):

I see now why they were saying I'd have to wire around the Booster Board. You simply bypassed that wiring altogether, and came in a window. I guess either way will work.

I sure hope I can A) get the right stuff and B) set it up the first time and go "wow, this wasn't that hard".........
Old 06-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #39

The basic meter worked fine for me until we went to HD. I had iffy results on HD until I bought the Tracker Lite. Now I wish I had bought it in my SD days. You don't even have to have the receiver connected because the meter powers the dish's LNBs (with SWM you need the power inserter).

Older DirecTV models had audible signal meters which were an OK work-around, but the newer ones are silent. We tried the wife-on-a-walkie-talkie method, with as much success and harmony as teaching her how to play golf.

Because I set up the dish about 20 times per year, the $150 seems very reasonable. If I only planned to set it up a few times each year I might have just settled for SD and the meter included in the kit. Speaking of SD, I have yet to find a CG that has HD cable. And none of the Encore (TT) properties I have visited have any cable service at all. We get spoiled so easily...
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #40

If Satellite Oasis would answer the phone, I might get some answers. But they apparently are all asleep today.