Old 06-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #21

The booster is what you talked about in the last paragraph of your post #9 that you turn off and on.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
The phone line is for ordering PPV stuff. Nothing else. A silly Direct TV rule that they no longer try to enforce.

SO, what's a booster board, and how do you bypass it?

look at link on post #4. it shows booster. it's a small powered circuit board and ways to bypass it

Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #23

You guys are probably rolling your eyes, and I'm sorry.

But why would I need to bypass it?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #24

Quote:

I think you should try it without the bypass first... but assuming that doesn't work... it's because they are not designed to work with satellite dish/receiver connections, which is why a lot of RV have separate connections for Sat vs. Cable.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #25

Ok. But not sure I'll ever get to test this.........I can't get power to the TT!! (See other thread/question in another area, Elec and Charging).

I've had one heart attack? Do these things not stress y'all out totally? There is NO reason some of this stuff doesn't work! arrggghhh.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #26

Quote:

Seems like the circuitry of the board dosen't allow the power out from the receiver or inserter. I had to bypass mine to get it to work. I tried bath ways. I've run non HD for years and I had to bypass the booster
Old 06-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #27

Bill,
HD and SWiM are not the same thing. SWiM is a new type of LNB that can provide multiple feeds over a single piece of coax. Before SWM, you had to have a separate connection for each tuner.

If you use the H23, you do NOT need a SWiM dish. This one will work fine: http://www.installeroasis.com/direct...for-rv-mobile/

I highly recommend this because the setup is simpler, there is no power injector, and you can use the signal meter that comes with the dish. The only thing you'll have to do is change the switch type in the receiver's satellite setup from SWM to multi.

Drew
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #28

Per your last sentence.

How do you do that....change the switch type in the receiver?

I have no clue why I have this receiver.......out of 4 that I have.........or why it's different. Or why I have what I have.........it's just what the installer put in the house. Man, this is crazy stuff.

P.S.
You know, this makes me want to change the original question. Let's phrase it this way:

I have 2 H25's, and one H23 at my house. I have a TV in the travel trailer. I want to buy a dish that will be EASY TO USE IN THE TT. I don't care if I have to buy another receiver, use one of the two in my house, or any combination of the above. I want it to be easy, but still get HD TV with the same package I get at home (I want Cardinal Baseball!!!!)......anything else is gravy.

So, which system do I need? (I'm calling Satellite Oasis Monday, and see what they say)........
Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #29

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you even more. You change the switch type when you go through the on-screen setup after you've plugged everything in. If you decide to use a box from home, you'll have to do this as part of the setup.

I know it all seems clear as mud right now, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. I just went through a similar learning curve. I recently upgraded to the Genie and got rid of my last low-def box. I had been taking that and an old 18" round dish on camping trips. Now I'll be taking an HR24 and since its HD, I want an HD dish. I'll be ordering the kit I linked to above, HD non-SWM. It's cheaper and less complicated than the SWM setup.

To try and answer your new question, if money were not an issue, I would get a receiver just for the TT and this dish: TRAV
It doesn't get much easier than that!
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #30

When SWiM is Good

I hate to muddy the waters even more, but you need to consider one more thing before you order a dish kit. You may at some point want a DVR's multituner capability, maybe to record a Rams game while watching the Cards. A SWiM dish will feed both tuners over one coax. My VCross VFK27 has two coax inputs, but only one will pass satellite. I switched to SWM, and like it. The kit referenced above needs two coax cables to feed two tuners, but you can change it to a SWM system easily and for less than $100 if your needs change.

One final point - to align your hi def dish (SWM or not) you will want a meter that will let you select which satellite you are "listening" to. I gross tune to the satellite at 101, then fine-tune to 119 (my meter doesn't get 103, but peaking 119 works fine). Before I got the meter I found that I was having trouble getting HD channels, even though my 101 transponders were reading 80s and 90s. I use Orbital Tracker's Tracker Light, but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

One really, really final point - make sure the pole in your tripod is as vertical as you can measure it with a bubble level before aligning the dish. Alignment is easy once you accomplish this (although it may not seem like it from all these words). Happy viewing!