Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

Direct TV Receiver Install Help

I have a 2017 319 MB Leprechaun and I want to install a new Direct TV dome permanently on the roof. The unit has not been pre-wired for cable or satellite reception.
The dish will be mounted and installed professionally. However, I was wondering where others have installed the Direct TV receiver? The installer is suggesting he build a shelf and we mount it to the side of the cabinet over the sink close to cabinet top. That would put the receiver directly above the main TV out of the way of seeing out the window. All TV coaxial connections are mounted on this cabinet side.
k9jkfham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #2

I assume your looking at SD only? You do understand domes do not recieve DirectHD programing. Instead of a dome, instal a RF Mogul or Winegard Travler. Rf Mogul woild get be my first choice. I have had horroble luck with Winegard crap. What receiver are you looking at?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

Receiver Purchased

I have purchased the G2+. Maybe I should have asked questions first....
Old 02-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

Yes SD only. We do not watch HD even at home.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #5

You do realize Direct has announced the end of SD programing dont you? You have the chance now, so why not upgrade to HD?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #6

I was not aware. So then what are my options
Old 02-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #7

Do you have Direct at home too? Then get a Genie1 and wireless minis for each TV. When you travel take the Genie, and amwireless mini for each TV other than the main one. As for roof mounted dishes, like I said RF Mogul or Winegard Teavler. Personally I have had two major winegard failures requiring me to take them down off the roof and ship it back to Winegard. The last faillure cost me close to a thousand dollars. RFMogul at least can be serviced on your roof. Downside to any roof mounted system is if your parking spot is in the trees you likely will not get service. If you really want one of the automatic domes switch to Dish network. Most domes will work for Dish HD.
Acrually if you have more room for instance in the bedroom you could always place the Genie there and then you would only need a 2x6x6 area for the wireless mini. It only needs 120VAC for power and a HDMI cable from mini to TV.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #8

First: go with DISH so you can get HD everywhere. The only way you can get HD with DTV is with a full dish.
Second: go with a KingDome removable unit and have connections installed on the side as well as roof. That way you can move the dome antenna to a tripod when trees are blocking the signal.
Last: with DISH you can suspend service when you’re not traveling.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote