Directtv genie with clients setup
Someplace a while back I read a post about someone having trouble getting their satellite working in their tt. I figured out how to hook up my directtv genie with clients this morning, so I thought I would post how and what I learned in the process. Admin, feel free to copy and use this in a sticky if you so desire.
I have a 2014 wildwood haritage glen lite 300bh. This unit has a sat and park connection at the back of the trailer. I had to put a two way splitter on the line from the satilite at the back of the trailer, and run one line in on the sat connection to the main genie system I the living room, and the other line to the park connection for the clients in the rest of the tt.
One problem I found is with the splitter. My first attempt I put the splitter in the tt where the sat cable comes in so I could use the extra line from the splitter to supply the park cable. This would not work. The problem is the splitters in the trailer. To verify this, I hooked up my splitter backwards (not following the in and out arrows on my splitter) in the living room to see if the client would work, which it would not. I then hoped my tt had the splitter(s) wired in the correct direction from the rear outer park connection. In my tt, this was the case and my genie clients worked fine. To be honest, I've only hooked up a client in the rear bedroom, but I'm pretty sure the master bedroom and outside side connection will work fine.
I did a lot of research about the hd slimline disk alignment, and was worried about this step. I mounted my tripod using tent stakes, since it is temporary here at the lake for two weeks (two tent stakes in each leg in different directions). I used the directtv website and searched for dish pointer. That page allowed me to type my zip code in to get the settings required to point the sat. I used my iphone compass to find the left and right adjustment. I setup the tv to display the satellite signal strength at this point. The default satellite was 101. When I set the sat on 51.8, my signal strength was at 90. I was able to fine tune it to 98. Sat 99 was upper ~88, but I could not get it any higher. Sat 103 was in the 90s. It appears all my hd channels come in great, but I haven't only checked some of the premium channels.