Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Directv Android app in RV parks.

Hello all.
Well, I bought my shiny new 2104S last summer, mostly for fun but also for hurricane evacuation in case a storm threatens. We live in the Texas Coastal Bend, so it was apparently a wise investment. We hitched up and headed West out of danger, no idea what we'll be returning home too.
Long story short, the park we're staying in has Directv, but ran out of remotes. I downloaded the Android app, but I can't get it to synch with the satellite receiver. The app needs an ip address, but this type of setup doesn't seem to work that way.
Hardly a major issue considering the circumstances, but my father in law is with us and must have his cable news programs. A interweb search didn't help much, have any of you fine folks been able to make that app work?
Thanks for any advice and wish me luck!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #2

I believe you have to have the account number and password

Sent from my LG-H910 using Forest River Forums mobile app
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #3

The Direct TV receiver and the android app must be on the same network (LAN or WIFI).
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The remote app works through a home network. The receiver and mobile device both have to be connected, not something that is likely happening within your camper. Regular DirecTV remotes work via infared or RF, neither of which a mobile device has, hence the network connection to allow them to communicate.

Most receivers can be operated from their front panel. Most every Wal-Mart has remotes for DirecTV. Just a thought.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick responses! That's why I love this forum.
I figured it was a Wi-Fi thing, that's why there's no IP address in the settings menu, since this is a commercial setup.
There is a tiny Wal-Mart in this tiny town, maybe they'll have a remote. Thanks for the tip! We're using the buttons on the box for now, least of my concerns obviously.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The remote app works through a home network. The receiver and mobile device both have to be connected, not something that is likely happening within your camper. Regular DirecTV remotes work via infared or RF, neither of which a mobile device has, hence the network connection to allow them to communicate.

Most receivers can be operated from their front panel. Most every Wal-Mart has remotes for DirecTV. Just a thought.
My mobile device controls any tv it has built in universal remote it's a lg v20 Awsome.
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:37 AM   #7

Direct has had problems with the app. They advertise total access, but it just doesn't work for watching your play list shows! I've been complaining to them for months and it still hasn't been fixed. You can set up recordings when away from home, but you can't watch them until you get back home.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #8

Glad you made it safe to higher ground. We thought we would of gotten some of the outer band but it missed us completely on the Tip of Texas, just some wind and high waves on South Padre.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstudey View Post
Glad you made it safe to higher ground. We thought we would of gotten some of the outer band but it missed us completely on the Tip of Texas, just some wind and high waves on South Padre.
Yep, looks like my home was spared, folks just up north weren't so lucky. We were at Goose Island State Park just last weekend, which is north of Rockport-Fulton, and apparently it got hammered. We love Rockport and really feel bad for those who are suffering.
Pulling chocks Sunday morning, pending road conditions. Hopefully our power will be on back home by then. Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Yep, looks like my home was spared, folks just up north weren't so lucky. We were at Goose Island State Park just last weekend, which is north of Rockport-Fulton, and apparently it got hammered. We love Rockport and really feel bad for those who are suffering.
Pulling chocks Sunday morning, pending road conditions. Hopefully our power will be on back home by then. Thanks for all the help!
I hope everything works out for your return home.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
I hope everything works out for your return home.
Thank you, could be an adventure!
Old 08-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Thank you, could be an adventure!
Yes, I know what that's like. Our experience with a hurricane was Hugo that came through South Carolina in 1988. We lost a new car that had 5 pine trees fall on it.
Good luck and safe travels!
Old 08-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #13

Directv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Direct has had problems with the app. They advertise total access, but it just doesn't work for watching your play list shows! I've been complaining to them for months and it still hasn't been fixed. You can set up recordings when away from home, but you can't watch them until you get back home.
I asked DirecTv (AT&T) about my new set up in RV. They said I can take DVR Main Unit, with us in the RV. Both living room and Bedroom units should work. As long as we have a dish.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdenman View Post
I asked DirecTv (AT&T) about my new set up in RV. They said I can take DVR Main Unit, with us in the RV. Both living room and Bedroom units should work. As long as we have a dish.
You can take the box with you but once you get outside the "local" service area, you will no longer get the broadcast networks. DirecTv has Distant Network Service (DNS) that provides network shows from either NY or one of LA or SF (I don't remember which one) in California depending on where your service address is located. Unfortunately, you can no longer add DNS service to your home account, a result of agreements promoted by the networks to guarantee that you get local advertising when at home.

A cell phone app that requires a wifi network connection to your box can be activated if you install a minimal cost router in your rv. Connect both devices to the router and you'll be able to control the box from the phone's app. I've carried this a bit further in my rv. I have a commercial radio attached to the router that connects to the park's wifi and the internet side of the router. All internet capable devices we use when traveling are connected to the router which shows up to the rv park's system as a single device. This also allows us to connect computers and a backup drive using ethernet cables instead of wifi.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:35 AM   #15

I have a Trav'ler satellite antenna on top of my Cedar Creek that is Direct TV. Something that I didn't know was my home Dish finds five satellites and the Trav'ler only three. I have to get one just for the camper, that way I can set the one in the camper for three satellites
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #16

Not helpful in this situation but we now always carry our Directv Genie receiver, mobile dish and a couple of wireless receivers when we camp. I'm getting pretty good and setting up the dish and catching my signal.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #17

Me too I just hit the button and antenna sets up
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote