Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

DISH antennae set up problem

We got a new DISH satellite antennae for the camper, it's a DISH 1000 antenna, and a "Wally" for the receiver. The only way I can get this system to work is to bypass the wall plate with the "TV" and "Satellite" connections, or bring the cable from the dish through a window straight to the Wally. I removed the "cable in" line from the back of the wall plate, tied in a six foot piece of RG-6 from the "cable in" line to the Wally and all is well. There are three RG-6 cables that come into the back of the wall plate. They are all marked, one is "cable in", one is "back tv" (the back bunk room tv), and the other is "antenna". Is this a common problem?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

Very common.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

Dish satellite antenna and receivers don't like any kind of splitters in the line. Like ours I'm sure there is a splitter in the line between the outside conmection and the connction inside. Unless you want to run a seperate line to the inside, we just use the cable thru the window when we use our Dish satellite.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #4

Make a bypass plate. This guy does his best to explain it. Basically, you have a jumper plate that either keeps the wiring at the stock configuration or it gets jumped to bypass the amplifier and sent the satellite signal to the TV's. You may have to find the splitter to the TV's and upgrade it to one that can handle the satellite frequencies. You can you diplexers too but in some cases those still won't work. An A-B switch might work if you can find one that will handle the satellite frequency range.

Part one

Part two

Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

Subject: Traveler SK-1000 DISH Antenna issue

Equipment Description:
I have a Winegard SK-1000 for DISH/Bell TV Antenna mounted on a 2016 Coachman Brookstone fifth wheel, mid coach. The cables are run to the rear TV area and the controller is mounted above the rear TV. Two cables are available at the front TV labeled Sat-1 and Sat-2. The antenna was professionally installed by a company in Quartzite, AZ.
I use a DISH VIP-722K receiver for two TV's. I connect the line-in for the DP Splitter to the Sat-1 cable and the TV-2 out to Sat-2 cable.

Problem Description:
With a clear sky, the controller shows 110* 119* 129*.
The problem (and this happens consistently in multiple locations) is the local TV Stations provided by DISH are only available at one TV at a time. If TV-1 is on a local station then the bedroom TV shows "loss of Signal" on local channels and vice versa. If I turn the receiver for TV-1 off then TV-2 has local channels. The same in reverse - TV-2 off then TV-1 has DISH local channels. All other DISH programming is available at all times on both TV's.

Here is the Kicker:
When I connect my external Turbo HD tripod mounted antenna Everything works fine! All programming - DISH Local Channels and DISH Programming are available on both TV's.

(The following is communication from Winegard)

Thank You for your quick response.

As you stated - that is exactly how my receiver is connected. I even switched the cables out of the DP Separator to see if there was any change - no change in results.
The puzzling thing is when I connect the external tripod mounted dish antenna (Winegard Traveler Stowed) to the Sat-In connection in the service bay Everything works normally.

Problem description below in original post.

Thoughts? Troubleshooting recommendations?

Regards/
Tom Myers

In a message dated 7/22/2016 11:44:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, help@winegard.com writes:
Hello,

I think there might be a wiring problem here. The "splitter" you are using is that a DPseperator? If so you should have one coax leading into it then two leads from it out to your receiver, one to sat in 1 the other to sat in 2. Then you take your video output of the 722k receiver, TV 1 goes to TV 1 and TV 2 goes to TV 2.

Thank you,

Winegard Technical Service

1-800-788-4417

Winegard Company: TV Antenna, RV Antenna - USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 12:04 PM
To: Winegard Help
Cc: myers01@aol.com
TomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #6

Local channels are on a 'spot beam', not with the rest of the channels. That has something to do with it, but it gets complicated. Here's some info on it if you read far enough.

How to Add Local HDTV Channels to Your DISH Network Lineup: BigPictureBigSound

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

I do through the window, connection doesn't work with the satellite in. Yes, Dish does not like splitters.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

On my 2010 Flagstaff I run cable from my Wingard to external cable in. I have a cable hookup that is located in a small cubby that is above the hookup where you hookup for TV (the one that has the booster). Works great. There are no labels and/or explanations in manual, just stumbled on it.

2010 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2009 GMC 2500
tom.keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:37 PM   #9

Most satellite dishes have an amplifier located in the antenna. This is powered from either a separate power box between your receiver and the antenna or from a power supply located inside the receiver. In either case, only a splitter designed to pass the DC power to the dish will work. You won't find one of these splitters in RVs because it's usually easier to run a cable directly from the entertainment locker to the roof antenna mount location.

My 2011 Georgetown 327DS was factory wired with cable rated to handle satellite signals (thank you FR) and I was able to install a simple A/B switch to allow taking the "park cable" feed and routing it to the satellite components instead of the splitter that FR installed. When I'm staying for a day or two at a park with cable, I use the cable system. If I'm not going to move for a week or more, I throw the switch and set up the satellite antenna.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #10

I had the same problems because of the splitters. I bypassed the entire cable system by using a HD wireless transmitter/receiver between our DVR and the tv.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #11

I found a photo online of the back of a wall plate for an RV. The lines on that one are not hooked up as mine are. I tried to post an image of each one to see if someone knows whether one may be correct or is they both would work this way. WE, the boss lady who is an IT person, cannot find a way to upload these images to a post. Any recommendations?
Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #12
Site Team

Yes, I have recommendations. Read post #7 of this posting instructions thread.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sics-6778.html

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:14 PM   #13

You may need a "power pass splitter". It will allow an injected current to go down your coax cable to your dish in the case of automatic dish antennas. Regular splitters will not allow this and generally have no place to inject power. Not sure if this is the OP's problem. It was mine and a power pass splitter fixed it. I use the King Quest Sat Dish with Direct TV.
I use the King Quest Automatic Dish and receiver at my TT, home, cabin and boat. As long as they are both together, it works great and I get local channels.
Only three connections, power, HDMI and coax cable. Otherwise, you would have to pay $7 a month for each receiver. I'm too cheap for that.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #14

When I first talked to someone at DISH I told the lady that I was looking at buying the DISH Tailgater and a receiver, not knowing which receiver I may need. She talked me out of the Tailgater after a few questions. After I told her I live in S. Ga. and the campgrounds I had been to within 150 miles of home (Albany) have plenty of trees. She informed me that the Tailgater did not like anything that would block signals and the DISH 1000 would be a better alternative for an antenna. When I mentioned that two particular campgrounds I had seen people place their DISH antenna's at least 100 feet from the RV she told me that the Tailgater would have a weak signal over 50 feet. So I went with the DISH 1000 antenna and the Wally.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #15

Hopefully the two images will be here: The top image is the way mine is set up. The bottom image is an image I found on the internet. I just wonder why there is difference in the two set ups.
online photo.jpg
Winegard wall plate rear 2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear 2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	115473  
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2016, 10:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Dish satellite antenna and receivers don't like any kind of splitters in the line. Like ours I'm sure there is a splitter in the line between the outside conmection and the connction inside. Unless you want to run a seperate line to the inside, we just use the cable thru the window when we use our Dish satellite.
X2 (3?) We bought one of the 6" flat cable connectors so we can almost close the window.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #17

[QUOTE=Thurman;When I mentioned that two particular campgrounds I had seen people place their DISH antenna's at least 100 feet from the RV she told me that the Tailgater would have a weak signal over 50 feet. So I went with the DISH 1000 antenna and the Wally.[/QUOTE]

Not true. I use our tailgater with 75' of coax and a few times hooked a 50' to it for 125' total. No problems. I think she just wanted to sell you the dish 1000 and have you do a manual setup
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #18

"NMWildcat", that could have been but, I would up with the DISH HD antenna. The lady also told me that YES I could hook up two (2) TV's with the Wally so the g'son's could have satellite tv in the bunk room. The techy who changed out all the hardware in the house went out to help me set up the antenna and Wally then told me that the Wally only supports one tv. Live and learn
Old 07-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"NMWildcat", that could have been but, I would up with the DISH HD antenna. The lady also told me that YES I could hook up two (2) TV's with the Wally so the g'son's could have satellite tv in the bunk room. The techy who changed out all the hardware in the house went out to help me set up the antenna and Wally then told me that the Wally only supports one tv. Live and learn
That's too bad that you didn't get good info from the sales rep! I hope you called back to see if they would address the problem and get you fixed up with what you wanted. They do have a newer dish king tailgater that has two outputs but you would still need 2 wallys, one for each TV.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, antennae