Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tobyhanna, PA
Posts: 138
Dish Network Satelite Question

After years of receiving free (or purchasing) cable television from campgrounds, I have decided to get Dish Network for my camper added to my home account. The question I have is which satellite antenna to purchase. The choices are:

1. Winegard PA2000R Pathway X1 Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna with DISH ViP 211z Receiver

2. Winegard PA6002R Pathway X2 Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna with DISH ViP 211z Receiver

3. DISH Network Tailgater Portable HDTV System Bundle with VIP211Z HD Receiver

I would appreciate any advice the forum has to offer.
__________________

__________________
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
BombDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 1,437
If you already have DISH at home, I'd go with getting the Tailgater and asking Dish to switch one of the receivers in your house with one that is compatible with the Tailgater. That is what I did. I just take that receiver with me when I go and the Tailgater stays in the RV.

I have a DVR in my living room in the house and had a standard receiver in my bedroom. Called Dish and told them I bought the Tailgater and wanted to switch my bedroom receiver for one that worked with the Tailgater (Vip211 or 211k). That is what the did. Sent me a receiver and a return label and I sent the other one back in the same box. Easy as could be. I can't speak to the other receivers as I have only used Dish. Good luck.
__________________

__________________
John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44) 2014-(59) 2015-(47)
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tobyhanna, PA
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
If you already have DISH at home, I'd go with getting the Tailgater and asking Dish to switch one of the receivers in your house with one that is compatible with the Tailgater. That is what I did. I just take that receiver with me when I go and the Tailgater stays in the RV.

I have a DVR in my living room in the house and had a standard receiver in my bedroom. Called Dish and told them I bought the Tailgater and wanted to switch my bedroom receiver for one that worked with the Tailgater (Vip211 or 211k). That is what the did. Sent me a receiver and a return label and I sent the other one back in the same box. Easy as could be. I can't speak to the other receivers as I have only used Dish. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion BombDoc,
I only have one receiver at home and do not wish to take it with me as I have family that will be watching my house from time to time. I have thought about taking it, but then, what will be available for home.
__________________
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dan-nickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,506
Winegard PA6002R Pathway X2 lets you have 2 receivers in your RV if you desire.

If only one receiver, then the Tailgator works fine.

FYI, you can add a couple things to the VIP211z.
1. An external hard drive to make it a DVR.
2. An OTA module to let you pick up local channels from your antenna and record them to the DVR.
__________________
Dan
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tobyhanna, PA
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Winegard PA6002R Pathway X2 lets you have 2 receivers in your RV if you desire.

If only one receiver, then the Tailgator works fine.

FYI, you can add a couple things to the VIP211z.
1. An external hard drive to make it a DVR.
2. An OTA module to let you pick up local channels from your antenna and record them to the DVR.
Thanks for the info Dan-Nickie,
I'm leaning to the Tailgater myself, but wanted more info from the forum.
__________________
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mzbrandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
After years of receiving free (or purchasing) cable television from campgrounds, I have decided to get Dish Network for my camper added to my home account. The question I have is which satellite antenna to purchase. The choices are:

1. Winegard PA2000R Pathway X1 Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna with DISH ViP 211z Receiver

2. Winegard PA6002R Pathway X2 Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna with DISH ViP 211z Receiver

3. DISH Network Tailgater Portable HDTV System Bundle with VIP211Z HD Receiver

I would appreciate any advice the forum has to offer.

I have Wingard X1 and like it real well. Had the Dish Tailgater first. Didn't like it at all. YMMV

Brandi


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________

mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tobyhanna, PA
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
I have Wingard X1 and like it real well. Had the Dish Tailgater first. Didn't like it at all. YMMV

Brandi


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Thanks mcbrandi.
__________________
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Stormrider151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: South East
Posts: 915
I've had the Carry out 1st gen. for years. It has never failed to find a satellite. I had to move it a couple of times but it's great. Switched from Dish to Direct because of programming.
__________________
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
NCBBA11043's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 135
I'm looking at the Pathway X2, not for the dual receiver, but the fact that it works with both eastern and western arc satellites. We live in the Great Lakes region, and most of our travels are within the western arc, but trips to the Northeast (Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, etc), may be better serviced by the eastern satellites. So, depends on where you plan on going.
__________________
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion BombDoc,
I only have one receiver at home and do not wish to take it with me as I have family that will be watching my house from time to time. I have thought about taking it, but then, what will be available for home.
An extra receiver for the tailgater is only $8.00 a mo.
Just have it turned off if not using it for awhile or over the winter.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.