Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Dish Network Service Address

What is the simplest way to change the service address when we travel.

We haven't had good luck when calling. Is it online chat?
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

I just call main number(800-333-3474) and punch through technical assistance (there probably are other ways) and tell them I'm in an RV and what I want to do and ask for local channels at my location. The address is what they ask for but I have also used Zip code and if no address (Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, etc.) I just give them that and it all works out. Takes a few minutes to come up for selection and have never had an issue for 3 years now.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #3

I was thinking there was a way to do it online.

We are at about 50% when we call and it seems to take 20 minutes when we do.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #4

Simple phone call. 10 minutes at the most usually. I just give them the zip where I am, done!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

You can do it online. Login to your account and and look for chat. We used this once when we were out of cell service range. I always press the menu numbers for change television programming, then add programming packages, then press 0. I have done this at least 50 times and only a couple of times did the locals not get changed correctly. It has been a few months so the above referenced menu quotes are probably not perfect, but they should be close.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #6

I usually just call but I have used "live chat" before and it worked really well. Can't hurt to give it a try, I think you will be satisfied with the result. I save the chat to a pdf file when we have completed the chat and that way I have a record of what was requested.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

I don't know if you are full-timing, or if you also have a primary residence. I have a Dish receiver in the 5er that we use during our camping season. I also have it at home. I have the home system set to record our favorites while we are away, including local channels. This summer while on vacation, I asked for "local" channels to be updated based upon our location. I did not know that was going to affect the home receiver (they are on the same account). Imagine my surprise when I got back home :-( Makes sense when you think about it, but back then I didn't.
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #8

Accessing DISH Network when outside home area -- Not always easy to do!

A little over a year ago, we got tired of cable service and decided to switch to DISH satellite service. We live in Southern California and have traveled across a lot of the U.S.

What the DISH representative described to us is NOT what actually happens. We discovered this the hard way.

We have the "Hopper" receiver in the house. We have a "Joey" box in other parts of the house. This part of the DISH service works fine.

We purchased the receiver for the RV. Our coach already had a Wingard satellite dish installed on the roof of the RV. There is a nominal monthly charge for the DISH service in the RV.

The DISH representative told us that when we travel that we would be able to access our "home channels" from wherever we were located. We liked this idea since this way, we could easily know what shows are on and the time we wanted to view them. This sounded like a great service!

The "reality" that we discovered is that when we are "outside" our immediate (home) service area, we need to contact DISH to request download of a "new signal" for the new location. This works OK for the RV coach but we discovered that the "signal change" also resets the "Hopper" server at home.

DISH not only disrupts the "Hopper" set up at home but it also changes the "account billing address" for our account.

We discovered an error in a monthly billing caused by the change to the "account billing address." When we called DISH about the billing error, they reluctantly adjusted the billing.

We programmed the "Hopper" receiver at home to record selected TV shows. We really like this feature. However, we discovered that when DISH downloads a "new signal" to the RV receiver, this change screws up the "Hopper" programming at home. It no longer downloads shows that we want to record. It also wipes out already recorded shows that we have not yet seen.

When calling DISH Tech Support to request a "new signal download," we have rarely talked with a tech person who knows what he(she) is doing. We've been told different stories about how accessing DISH when traveling is supposed to work.

At home, DISH service is great! When traveling in our coach, DISH service is NOT so great.

At this point, we "like/don't like" DISH. We're undecided about whether we will continue with DISH in the future.

Have any of you had an experience like this? If yes, how did you resolve it?

Have safe, joyous, holidays,

Rick in Palm Springs
ricklillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Direct is the same
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #10

Never used locals channels while traveling we would had to change our entire account which would have changed tuning at home since we used our receiver from home just called and gave zip of where we at everything but our locals
Old 12-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
What is the simplest way to change the service address when we travel.

We haven't had good luck when calling. Is it online chat?
On line chat is worse than a live operator. True story, the last time a Dish tech was at our place, he said if you can tell the conversation with the operator on the phone isn't going your way, hang up. Then, immediately call back and try again to talk to someone who understands what you're trying to do.
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #12

Rick,

If you want to keep your locals at home while traveling, then don't change the locals. Use your antenna for locals. If you travel out of your home service area a lot then maybe set up a separate pay as you go account for the RV.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #13

Buffalohunter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalohunter View Post
I usually just call but I have used "live chat" before and it worked really well. Can't hurt to give it a try, I think you will be satisfied with the result. I save the chat to a pdf file when we have completed the chat and that way I have a record of what was requested.
Notice you have Tundra,
Wife and myself recently retired, about to pull the trigger on 3029W Windjammer, do you feel confident that our 2014 Tundra 1794 Edition CrewMax 4 x 4 with 5.7 will handle it adequately.

Any response appreciated.

G Gossler
"Redleg"
GGOSSLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #14

We like DISH and have used them for several years. While RVing we've found that whatever we are told on the phone is rarely true. Our billing address is almost always changed everytime we camp. (Have to call them to get it changed to our residence)
We've been told several things about local channels where we camp. One time they sent a "signal" to where we were camping. We got the local channels for that campsite area and we also were still able to get our local channels from our residence. When we got home we had the same channels until we called to have our service (and billing address) switched back to our residence.
I've never been able to figure out why they would change your billing address when you tell them you are in your RV for a week or so.
Anyway, DISH has a nice satellite finder app that is easy to use so I can see if my Tailgator has a clear line of sight to those satellites.
With DISH our bill has always been the same each month. When we had Direct, it changed nearly every month for various reasons that didn't make a lot of sense.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #15

Has anyone used dish or direct while camping in Canada??

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!

Tags
service