Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #1

Dish Network Setup Cherokee 274RK

Hello all. This is my first post, and I'm a complete newbie on RV camping. I just bought my first camper, which I'm parking in a campground for the summer to utilize on the weekends and my days off. I have a Dish Network Wally and Tailgater mobile dish, but I'm having zero luck with the setup. I've got the input coming in on the driver side in front of the slide at the coax jack.
I've tried both with the green light on and off above the TV for the powered coax jack. I can't seem to get any communication between the dish and the box. Anyone have experience with these? Would I be better off with a regular dish on a tripod and just reinforcing it on the ground with stakes and cinder blocks? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
bsmd1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #2

How are you connecting the Wally to the TV? If you are running a dedicated tailgater coax for the Wally that coax should be connected directly to the Wally.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #3

I've tried both through the RV and directly to the Wally.. I think I have an issue with finding the satellite as well, but my concern right now is that it doesn't find the dish to initiate the setup when I go through the camper. Is there no way to go through the camper's coax inputs? I don't want to run the cable through a window or door all the time. If I use a regular dish instead of the tailgater to the Wally, can I go through the camper's coax? Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmd1033 View Post
I've tried both through the RV and directly to the Wally.. I think I have an issue with finding the satellite as well, but my concern right now is that it doesn't find the dish to initiate the setup when I go through the camper. Is there no way to go through the camper's coax inputs? I don't want to run the cable through a window or door all the time. If I use a regular dish instead of the tailgater to the Wally, can I go through the camper's coax? Thanks for the reply!
The antenna coax must be connected directly to the Wally and so, you do have the Wally start up video displayed on the TV? You must have TV display and then unplug the Wally for about 10sec and plug back in. That is supposed to initiate a reset. The first screen view after run up will be for you to select state your in. I use the park cable input for my antenna but it is a straight run directly to my Wally, which is a requirement. Most RV's have splitters between the park cable input and where the coax is routed to and they will not work for the antenna/Wally interconnect. Don't know about your unit. If you are using the HDMI output from the Wally to the TV then the antenna booster plays no part.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #5

First off you have to have a fairly clear southern sky. There are apps that you can download to your phone, so that you can see where the sats. are in the sky. Don't know your camper but you have to have a dedicated sat connection on the outside of camper. Some have a dedicated connection, but have splitters in the walls of camper. We had a keystone TT that had dedicated connection on the outside of TT but had splitters inside walls, that didn't allow power to pass out to dish. Was able to connect power supply for dish right before cable went outside. It worked fine after that. You may try connecting power supply for dish outside of TT and see if you get it to work. Our present TT has a dedicated coax that connects from outside and runs to the tv in living room. The power for dish is connected there. For the bedroom tv there is a coax connection by the tv in living room, that leads to bedroom. If you have this situation, you have to buy an rf modulater connected to rf connector on back of wally. The wally has an rf remote, so you can bring it with you to bedroom. Forest River would have made it easier for owner, by running an HDMI cable to the bedroom. Good luck with your connection.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go ahead and drill a hole and install a dedicated satellite coax input. Do y'all know if the Wally will work with a standard Dish Network dish, or only with the tailgater? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #7

Dont have 'Wally".... but do have tailgater and an older model Dish home receiver that I use. The newer home receivers with JOEY and Recording will not work with the tailgater.

I have had zero success plugging in to the trailer cable. Run from Tailgater to receiver thru window..... The HDMI to TV.

Clear S/SW sky.... It seems pretty forgiving if no heavy tree cover blocking. Not aways able to pick up all satelites.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmd1033 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go ahead and drill a hole and install a dedicated satellite coax input. Do y'all know if the Wally will work with a standard Dish Network dish, or only with the tailgater? Thanks!
Yes, the Wally will work with any dish network compatible antenna; carryout/home/etc..
Old 06-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #9

I got the Wally receiver and the DISH Turbo HD antennae for my TT some three years ago. I found that I could not get this system to work using the "Sat input" connection on the outside of the TT. I ran the cable from the dish through a window and everything worked well. So I installed a new "Sat input" (I removed the labeling on the other Sat input) port on the outside of the TT and a dedicated cable to the Wally. There are hundreds of threads on this site stating the same problem with the internal cable of an RV and using a home run cable seems to be the #1 solution. I use "Satellite Dish Pointer" app on my phone to find the satellite and it has worked well for me.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #10

I have the Wally with the Tailgater. I installed a connector in my entertainment slide out so I could run directly to the Wally. Works great. For some technical reason most trailer coax wiring and the splitters are not compatible with modern satellite systems.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #11

You can’t use the cable input, you need a direct cable from the satellite antenna to the Wally.
You may want to run a cable through a window just to test your setup.
Be aware there is new software that must be installed in all Wally’s. I believe the release is 802 I have Hopper at home do have a dedicated cable for Wally upgrades, much easier than doing them with my KingDome.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #12

I have an older dish playmaker and it requires a vip211z receiver. I have never had problems using the connection on the side of the camper. just make sure on the inside connection. I have one for satellite/cable and on for antenna.

2018 rockwood 2606ws
2006 Dodge Ram turbo diesel
Easymoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee