Old 10-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
Georgia Gets Around
Wally SW update

Originally Posted by edcronin01 View Post
I contacted DISH shortly after the Wally came out they advised me about the software issue and said they are working on a fix. Seems this should have been done before it it the market!
So there is a software update in the works (supposedly to be available late September, now ... October?).

Also the Tailgater is quite sensitive, need to experiment to be sure that it is pointing south and has line of sight to satellites. Get a smartephone/tablet app that aligns to the three satellites.

Found out that after selecting state and letting it find the switch locations you need to exit the scan when it has reached the full bar search. Then arrow key back to the top of the options (when passing the status) you'll see check marks for 2 or 3 satellites. Once at the top, hit the home key, then the back button, which causes the Wally to go to the next phase and acquire the satellite signals. Sometimes you get sound but not picture (good sign that you're getting close to three satellites).

Remember to unplug the Wally each time you tweak/reorient the tailgater, either five degrees east or west of your previous south location. After doing this a couple times and sometimes moving the tailgater on top of my RV, I have gotten three satellites. If you have the patience, you can find the three satellites!

Hope this helps. Benefit of the Wally is that the remote doesn't need line of sight to the receiver, where as the 211z does!

2015 Georgetown XL 369
2005 Jetta TDI on ACME Dolly
frugalbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #12
DishPointer AR Pro

Have any of you ever tried the DishPointer AR Pro?

I use it when I set up my Tailgater. It activates the camera and shows exactly what is between the Tailgaiter and the satellites. No guess work with that. You can find it at the App Store with your iPhone or iPad. I was told about it by a Dish Tech that I met years ago. He was the most knowledgeable tech I ever met from Dish. He said it wasn't free, I think I paid like $14 for it but he said it was worth it and I agree 100%.

I hope this will be helpful someone.

2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 W
2007 Tundra Reg Cab 4X4 SR5 5.7L
buffalohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #13
I have no need or desire for the Wally. However, after two years of frustrating attempts to get my Tailgater to properly deliver even one of three sats on a regular basis, I went to the Pathway X2 a year ago. Although pointing south is child's play, when you have two arcs to pick from and then utilizing the DishPointer Pro as a sight alignment tool, it has been fantastic. Even 4 hours north of the border in remote areas I have been able to get most if not all of my 250 channels with some patience and a bit of ingenuity as it relates to positioning.

rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote