Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #21
Just as confused as you

Maybe I can help.
I had to replace the switch plate 2 years ago because of a bad solder joint in the circuitry. I was loosing signal so I decided to check all the coax connections and runs. The first thing I did was to make a drawing how things were connected and where each cable went to. I also did not have a coax connected from the front of the wall plate to the main tv. On the panel behind the main tv there is a hole for the DVD HDMI cable and a single connection wall plate for the ota tv. What I found in the space behind the dvd/stereo there is 2 splitters. The attached drawing will show how things for the ota antenna were connected.

Notice I said "were connected". When putting in the new wall plate I utilized the front connector for the main tv. I rearranged the connections so the bedroom tv connects to splitter #1, and because the radio antenna is a 18" telescopic mounted to the side of the slide-out, I connected the stereo to splitter #2 so now the radio is connected to the winegard giving me better reception where before we could get only one radio station with iffy reception. The stereo does not interfere with tv reception.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna connections.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	200859  
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #22
Gold Tee Box

Get a few of these to keep on hand, makes it a lot easier that trying to twist on the coax fittings. It's just push/pull when you have these connnected to your coax cable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coax Quick Connect.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	200860  

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #23
Just as confused as you

Referring to my previous post #21, I also used 3x 90* male to female connectors to attach the cables to the winegard circuit board and zip tied the 3 coax cables along with the satellite coax and 2 12vdc wires together so they support each other.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #24

Yes coax cable needed AND I ve come across campgrounds where their connection was a male fitting just like your coax cable. You may want to pick up a “barrel” female connector to connect two male ends Inexpensive item
Tee time also provided a great idea
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #25

I would recommend two 16' cables and barrel connectors. Just because there is a connection at your site, don't assume it is free cable. We got fooled at a county owned RV park in Green Bay, WI. Switch input on the TV's to cable and rescan for channels. Some RV's might also have a switchbox as pictured below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selecter Switch.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	200896  
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
I would recommend two 16' cables and barrel connectors. Just because there is a connection at your site, don't assume it is free cable. We got fooled at a county owned RV park in Green Bay, WI. Switch input on the TV's to cable and rescan for channels. Some RV's might also have a switchbox as pictured below.
After you're hooked up make sure your tv is set to cable and scan for available channels.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan294bh View Post
Never used a camper at a real campground we always boondock at MX tracks. Do I need to bring a cable for the cable TV?? Thanks in advance!
yes but I've been some places that will loan you one and other places will rent you one or sell you one if you don't have it
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #28

Yes, you need a cable. But, do not expect HDTV and a clear channel. Usually fuzzy, basic channels and no digital cable. I usually connect the cable if available, scan and see what I got. Than I switch back to antenna.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoclaws View Post
Yes coax cable needed AND I ve come across campgrounds where their connection was a male fitting just like your coax cable. You may want to pick up a “barrel” female connector to connect two male ends Inexpensive item
Tee time also provided a great idea
Bring with you both male and female coax butt connectors.

Oh, how I miss Radio Shack for these cheap little items!
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan294bh View Post
where do they turn off.. forgive me last trailer was a 07 had a metal antenna that did nothing.. switch ? where is it usually
I'd bet your 07 had it also. It's a 12v outlet/OTA (antenna) power booster combination.
Little LED light indicates booster is on and only used with OTA. Turn off for cable.
You'll need to run channel scan each time you change camp grounds. Just like with OTA.
You've never noticed it because you have always been distracted by the beauty of nature while dry camping. No need for cable with those views. [emoji2] Let us know what you find.
I bring a 25' coax. Cheap at Walmart, dollar stores, etc.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Maybe I can help.
I had to replace the switch plate 2 years ago because of a bad solder joint in the circuitry. I was loosing signal so I decided to check all the coax connections and runs. The first thing I did was to make a drawing how things were connected and where each cable went to. I also did not have a coax connected from the front of the wall plate to the main tv. On the panel behind the main tv there is a hole for the DVD HDMI cable and a single connection wall plate for the ota tv. What I found in the space behind the dvd/stereo there is 2 splitters. The attached drawing will show how things for the ota antenna were connected.

Notice I said "were connected". When putting in the new wall plate I utilized the front connector for the main tv. I rearranged the connections so the bedroom tv connects to splitter #1, and because the radio antenna is a 18" telescopic mounted to the side of the slide-out, I connected the stereo to splitter #2 so now the radio is connected to the winegard giving me better reception where before we could get only one radio station with iffy reception. The stereo does not interfere with tv reception.
Interesting. Wonder why they don't come that way m seems like a simple money saver for industry.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, campground, mpg

« Radio | King Dome »