Old 05-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #1

Does my fridge work?

Hey all,
My wife and I just bought our first pop up, its a 2006 Rockwood Freedom 1640 w/ an 8 foot box. This is my first experience with a pop up so I've got lots of questions.

The people that we bought it from last week told us up front that the fridge didn't work. They were told when they purchased it used in 2010 that it did indeed work but they were never able to get it to cool down. I kinda got the impression that they didn't really know how to use it.

So, right now it is in my driveway plugged in to 120 and as far as I know all the settings are in the correct position. The parts in the access panel are getting warm to the touch so I assume it is working. It just doesn't seem to be getting cool yet. It's only been about 2 hours and I've read that it can take several hours to cool off.
So I guess I'm wondering:
How long will it take to cool off?
Is there an easy way to tell if it's working?
If it doesn't cool off, what should I check first?

Thanks in advance,

Old 05-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

i'm assuming the fridge is a 3-way fridge.

the slowest way for it to cool, is using the 12v setting.
the second slowest way is to use 120v AC shore power.
the fastest way is to use the propane.

using propane will still take a long time, usually overnight to make sure.

to check if it's working, try it on propane next. otherwise, check the manual for the fridge. should be a troubleshooting section.
or find the model number and go to the manufacturer's website.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #3

I had a similar tent trailer than you. These small 1.9cu dometic fridges takes quite sometimes to cool. I would suggest you to start it on gas. It will cool faster but dont expect too much from these small units. Also when it is very hot outside the output will be quite less. I was removing the outside cover on very hot day. One thing that you need to know about the lifting system of your trailer. There are tubing under ( 4 of them ) that contains some push springs. These are used to raise your roof. You will see small holes at the base of each of them just before the tubing start to curve upward. The holes are there to grease the push spring and need lubrication with a grease gun every season. There is a insert that fits on the end of the grease gun and avaliable at auto store shops. Make sure that you dont forget this issue if you dont want problems with your raising system. Good luck with your fridg. I was using always a secondary portable fridg like a Koolatron because this 1.9cu is so small. There is a possibility that the fridg ammonia in the coils has created some crystals in the ammonia because the fridg was used not level if it does not cool. It is hard to say. Make sure the trailer is level when the fridg is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05893.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	14476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03121.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	14477   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03119.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	14478  
Old 05-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #4

Yes the popup definitely needs to be open when trying to cool off the fridge. My 2009 Jayco 1207 I used to have would not cool off for a few hours. It got very cold once it did though.

On mine there was a spring loaded switch attached to the roof. When you lower it down the switched is closed between the roof and the body. That switch shuts down the fridge.
Kids: 3yo DD (Riley), another DD cookin (Kennedy)
Security: 5yo Boxer (Sasha), 14yo yorkie (Porter)...he was married in
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #5

I never popped up to start cooling the fridge. I kept mine in the garage and would plug in the night before to start cooling the fridge. That way during my 1 hour drive, the fridge would stay cold.

Another thing I did was to build a baffle in between the upper compartment with the fins and the lower compartment with the controls. I then added a 12 v computer fan and tied it to the fins to draw the cooler air from the lower compartment across the fins and out the top vent.

After that mod, I had to be careful not to freeze things in the fridge. It would sit between 33-35 degrees all day on 120v AC.

Just my thoughts. I used the pop-up portal forums quite a bit. They are just as helpful as the folks on here.

Chris
Old 05-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #6

Hey all,
Thanks for the replys. I ran it on 120 for about 10 hours and it didn't seem to work. It actually felt warmer. Everything inside the access panel was warm, hot even so right or wrong, it was doing something. It even smelled warm in there. Any other tips? @capucine we have the same basic PUP as you except ours is a Rockwood.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
What is the make/model number?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #8

Is your pup level? How hot is the ambient temperature? What is the temp in the fridge?
Old 05-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #9

Thanks again for the replies.
The PUP is level. Our 2006 Rockwood Freedom 1640 has a Dometic RM2191/RM2193 3 way fridge. Im guessing the temp was in the mid upper 50 to 60s last night. Not sure what the temp in the fridge was, but it wasn't cold or even cool after about 12 hours.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

have you tried it on propane? that will help determine if it's just an issue with the electric side or if it's an issue with the whole fridge.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote