Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

Does residential refrigerator work while driving?

We just bought a used 2013 Georgetown XL with a French Door residential refrigerator. Will it work while driving down the road? It didn't seem to work while we were driving an hour back to home and had alarm bells for high temps and power loss when we plugged into shore power.
hjcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #2

There should be an inverter somewhere that takes the coach's 12 vdc to 120 vac specifically for the fridge.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #3

Inverter

Thanks. We will look for it tomorrow and be sure that it's working properly. Do we have to turn it on or should it work automatically?
hjcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:09 AM   #4

I would expect it to be off based on your first post. It could also be broke.

Hopefully it's just turned off.

dg
Old 07-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #5

Remember that the inverter has a pretty fair amp draw even at idle, which is why it had better be switch controlled so you can turn if off when not in use. So with frig not cycled on still sucking amperage so be sure that your tt to tv plug is passing 12 to the tt system to be sure that the inverter is not pulling your house batteries dead on the road. If I had to have inverter running to keep my frig cold, I would be sure to have 4 really good gold cart batteries so the gen does not have to run half the day everyday to keep up with the frig when off grid like my friends does.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

The simple answer is...YES! Two things are necessary. First the batteries need to be connected (so that 12v works in your coach lights.) Second, your inverter needs to be turned on. There is a small remote panel, often by the door with a single push button to turn on the inverter. Once on, a green light will glow. Push again, and it will go off.

When on the road, your alternator supplies 12V to the batteries and the inverter takes 12V from that batteries and makes 110V for the frig. When you plug into shore power, there is an automatic transfer switch that will immediately feed the frig from the shore power and not the inverter, but the inverter will remain on but have no load os it uses very little power and can be left on as long as you are connected to shore power or are using the coach.

If your inverter is on but the frig isn't, there is a GFI receptacle on the inverter that may have popped so the frig won't get power when disconnected from shore. Just push the reset button...and all will be cool!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #7

The inverter basically runs only two things when you are disconnected from shore power: the refrigerator and the 110v (GFCI) receptacle on the inverter itself. On my Georgetown, the inverter is on the right side of the coach in the third door back from the stairs. If you encounter a black shield, it can easily be removed for full access to the inverter. In fact, my GT has an entire unused storage bin where the inverter is. You can (may not want to) store lots of stuff there if you allow room for cooling air flow around the inverter and don't store anything metallic that could shift and contact a lead.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #8

If all else fails----run the Gen.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator