Old 05-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #11

Here's my experience. In 2014, replaced a 15k Btu Dometic on my 7 year old 5th wheel with new Brisk 2 15k unit purchased over the internet. Ran well for a couple of months before giving up. Fan blew, compressor ran, but no cooling. Removed the unit and took to a Dometic repair center where it set for several months. Since I had self installed, wasn't sure about warranty so purchased another Brisk 2 unit and installed it. It cools. Both it, and the same size Brisk 2 unit in my newer Class "C" cycle with a short "fan only" cycle following each compressor run - so I take that as normal. Did not have that cycle in the older units.

All this to say, if not cooling, the unit may be bad, (coolant leak in my case) and the few minutes of "fan only" running after each compressor cycle is normal in my units, and likely unrelated to the lack of cooling. Maybe just extracting last of the coil cooling. AND, by the way, Dometic shipped me a new 15k unit a couple of months ago. Sitting under the carport as a spare.

Lastly, repair center did NOT like that I had removed the unit. They greatly prefer to test the units while installed, otherwise they have to bench rig a controller setup to cycle the unit. That's why mine took so long to diagnose.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffett2000 View Post
Thanks everyone for the information. (especially Herk) I really appreciate the input.

i agree a 20degree delta is good and I've read that elsewhere, but it is not consistent, to the point where i only feel a cooling effect at night. And I'm not sure why the unit completely shuts down and restarts both at night and during the day.

My apologies in advance if you guys feel I'm trying to argue with you, i am not. Just trying to explain in the wake of my frustration. We bought the trailer with a myrtle beach trip planned in july/august and if i can't get the camper cool in may, I'm really afraid of MB!

Dave
I will be over tomorrow and we will track this down.

Yes, insulating the air handler and metal taping all the seams made a big difference in the desert. The electrical mods only made a difference with low voltage campgrounds and on the generator.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

So I looked at Dave's air conditioner and I believe it is toast. The compressor is acting like it is low on Freon as it will blow "sorta" cold air for a few minutes then the output temp will creep back up.

IR gun on the coils show only 10 degrees colder than ambient; and even that was not constant.

He is bringing it back in the morning and will push for a replacement. On a 1 week old camper, I certainly would.

We did not let it run to its "overheat and shutdown" point, but I have no doubt that it would, just as Dave said.

It blew out hot air for about 15 minutes before I noticed any cooling from the output air and I had to verify that the unit did NOT have a heat strip installed it was so hot (It did not). It was only after that did we see any cool air coming out; never cold. Coolest air seen was about 80 degrees and it was cooler outside than in.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #14

It wouldn't surprise me if two of the freon lines were touching and rubbed each other enough to crack a line that's what happened on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-30-2015, 11:03 PM   #15

Dropped off the Camper at SCOTT's RV in Lakewood, NJ. They had another one on the line for customer pickup. I really wanted to go inside and check it out but decided to go with the belief that my issue is one of a kind.

They told me at 2 weeks, but didn't know if a replacement would be in order. (Obviously they cannot commit to anything without testing the unit on their own.)

If anyone is interested, I'll keep the thread updated with events. My wife said she is going to call to talk to the sales manager as well as the service manager. After all, we paid for a NEW a/c unit. Does it sound right to get a "fixed" one 2-3 weeks after taking delivery on a new camper?

Thanks LOU!

db
Old 05-31-2015, 09:11 AM   #16

Dometic 15,000 BTU A/C Failure

I'd be pushing for a new ac too
Old 05-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Just to be sure; I went out and checked my 15K Coleman Mach III AC and the output air is 32 degrees cooler than the input air after about 5 minutes. (80 in and 48 out).

He definitely has an issue. Now, my AC "IS" a bit tricked out
Pimp My Coleman Mach 3 AC

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #18

My wife spoke to Jeff at Scott's Motorcoach (New Jersey RV Dealer - New Jersey RV Sales of New RVs and Used RVs - Scott Motor Coach RV Center.) today who indicated that they may not be able to look at our camper until later this week. Then they would have to order parts.

We chose this dealer over another because of their reputation. LOL. They were supposed to check everything out before we picked up the camper from them, and even charged extra for it. Now it looks like we will be making the first payment on the camper before we even have a chance to use it. And our first camping experience will not be with a NEW camper, but a REPAIRED camper.

My first camper, my first experience.... so far a lot of headaches. I would not recommend Scott's RV to anyone.

db
Old 06-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #19

My 15k a/c has a delta of 20 on high fan and 23 on low fan. My 13.5k a/c has a delta of 18 on high fan speed and 22 on low fan speed. Both of mine are working a designed so this will give you an idea what your delta should be as long as your air filters and coils are clean which I'm sure they are if your unit is new.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #20

I'm having the same issue with the Dometic 15k on my WnP. This past weekend, it was in the mid 80's and the a/c kept freezing up and not cooling well at all. I had the thermostat set on 75 and fan on high, and it barely would hold 80-82 degrees inside, even in the shade. It would blow kinda cold initially, but then warm up. In addition to freezing up, it shut itself off several times. When I got home, I ran it for an hour or so and then checked the temps. The in side was 85 and the out side was only 75 while set on 70.

The unit it brand new, the filter is clean, and the coils are spotless. I called my local Dometic dealer and they'll look at it under warranty early next week. They think it's low on freon and will likely need to be replaced. I'll post the results.

Tags
15000 btu, 320 bhds, coachmen, cooling, dometic, lakewood, lakewood nj, air conditioner