Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 06:20 PM   #81
Site Team

Just took our RV in to have the second 15k BTUH unit replaced.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #82

Our Chaparral,built in Febuary this year,is getting a new 15 k Dometic too.Started failing two weeks ago.Same symptoms as have been stated here. Dealer is trying to get them to swap out to a Attwood and cover the cost difference. Having some other small warranty work done while it's there.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #83

Took my 2015 Silverback in last week because the Dometic 15k would not cool. Everything about the unit sounded normal, even the compressor kicking in sounded normal....but it would not drop temp even 1 degree.....diagnosis...loss of freon.

Since Dometic failed to include a tap on the inlet side of the compressor, it cannot be recharged, and finding/repairing the leak would be a challenge..so..Dometic has sent a replacement unit, which the repair center has received.

Appointment on July 5, next Tuesday to swap them out.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Lou nailed it!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"

Ditto.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #85
Carknocker Family

Mine is in the shop now getting its third 15k dometic unit. Purchase new in may of 13.
Dometic said they will good faith replace but this is the last time under warranty. They didn't want to, but after asking about their service bulletin, they changed their tune.I have to pay labor though.
We will see how long this one lasts.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #86

Ida,. The they should be paying labor as well. I sent them a nice email stating that I was on #4 failed unit and that I was holding a complaint letter to my Attorney General's office until I heard back from them. Little do they know I work for said Attorney General.
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Funeral Car (Ghostbusters ECTO)
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5mhb View Post
Ida,. The they should be paying labor as well. I sent them a nice email stating that I was on #4 failed unit and that I was holding a complaint letter to my Attorney General's office until I heard back from them. Little do they know I work for said Attorney General.
Interesting...Please keep us informed.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:59 AM   #88

We have a 2015 26dbh, we are living in it till our house sells. We came from Amarillo-hot/dry country, to Dallas-OMG hot/muggy country. AC works decent during the day but for the last 2 nights, it shuts off? Thermostat is set at 71, I do see droplets of moisture around vents? Any suggestions as what to do? It would be a huge inconvenience to load up and go get it looked at, with a DW and 2 kiddos
Old 07-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarillohwy View Post
We have a 2015 26dbh, we are living in it till our house sells. We came from Amarillo-hot/dry country, to Dallas-OMG hot/muggy country. AC works decent during the day but for the last 2 nights, it shuts off? Thermostat is set at 71, I do see droplets of moisture around vents? Any suggestions as what to do? It would be a huge inconvenience to load up and go get it looked at, with a DW and 2 kiddos
If your still in the DFW area and need a mobile tech to visit you try contacting Blue Moon RV Service. They have a large stick and brick location in Carrollton, but also have service trucks for on sight assistance.

Not sure of their mobile charges, but they I'm sure will be willing to answer any questions.

I have not used the mobile techs service personally, but have used the stick and brick location a number of times.

Good Luck,

Blue Moon RV | RV Online Parts and Accessories Store

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
If your still in the DFW area and need a mobile tech to visit you try contacting Blue Moon RV Service. They have a large stick and brick location in Carrollton, but also have service trucks for on sight assistance.

Not sure of their mobile charges, but they I'm sure will be willing to answer any questions.

I have not used the mobile techs service personally, but have used the stick and brick location a number of times.

Good Luck,

Blue Moon RV | RV Online Parts and Accessories Store
Thanks, i will be calling.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Interesting...Please keep us informed.
David,
It was just a complaint to the consumer protection division. I have the paperwork but did not complete it. Dometic doesn't need to know that and all that would be done is a letter would be sent to them stating that there was a complaint filed. Just paperwork, but the mere mention is enough to raise eyebrows. It's at the shop now getting a Coleman. More than likely I'll have to pony up and pay the difference but it is worth it to not have to keep going to the dealer for the same thing.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #92

Quote:
David,
It was just a complaint to the consumer protection division. I have the paperwork but did not complete it. Dometic doesn't need to know that and all that would be done is a letter would be sent to them stating that there was a complaint filed. Just paperwork, but the mere mention is enough to raise eyebrows. It's at the shop now getting a Coleman. More than likely I'll have to pony up and pay the difference but it is worth it to not have to keep going to the dealer for the same thing.
I hear ya. The local shop swapped mine out today. When I picked it up, I asked the service manager if Dometic had made any manufacturing changes to the replacement units, and his reply was "not to his knowledge,....they just keep swapping them out until the 2 year warranties run out, after which the customer gets to pay for it." Kinda sad really. I also asked him what would be involved (when it fails after the warranty runs out) to change it to a Coleman. His answer was that a new thermostat and new wiring would need to be pulled. I get the thermostat, but not the wiring. When I asked him to be more specific, he couldnt do it....just that the Coleman used a different "system".
There may be factors here that I'm not aware of, but I'm not altogether comfortable with his answer. I suspect that he just didnt know.

Another thing I found interesting was that Coleman allowed the dealer to replace a defective unit with the repair centers "in stock" inventory, but Dometic would not because they wanted to track serial numbers to a customer. I'm sure that so that once the two years are up, the customer gets to write a big check.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
I hear ya. The local shop swapped mine out today. When I picked it up, I asked the service manager if Dometic had made any manufacturing changes to the replacement units, and his reply was "not to his knowledge,....they just keep swapping them out until the 2 year warranties run out, after which the customer gets to pay for it." Kinda sad really. I also asked him what would be involved (when it fails after the warranty runs out) to change it to a Coleman. His answer was that a new thermostat and new wiring would need to be pulled. I get the thermostat, but not the wiring. When I asked him to be more specific, he couldnt do it....just that the Coleman used a different "system".
There may be factors here that I'm not aware of, but I'm not altogether comfortable with his answer. I suspect that he just didnt know.

Another thing I found interesting was that Coleman allowed the dealer to replace a defective unit with the repair centers "in stock" inventory, but Dometic would not because they wanted to track serial numbers to a customer. I'm sure that so that once the two years are up, the customer gets to write a big check.
The Coleman uses more wires because the control is different. The Coleman has switches instead of an electronic interface even though they have a digital display. From what I understand, they are more like a home thermostat than the Dometic one. You will also have to pay for the interior trim and filter. Look to pay about $250 to $300 to do a swap if your repair center will take the Dometic on trade. On the Dometic warranty, it is my understanding that every new unit has a 2 year warranty regardless. So if you replace it the warranty starts new on the new unit. I may be mistaken but its what I was led to believe.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #94

Quote:
The Coleman uses more wires because the control is different. The Coleman has switches instead of an electronic interface even though they have a digital display. From what I understand, they are more like a home thermostat than the Dometic one. You will also have to pay for the interior trim and filter. Look to pay about $250 to $300 to do a swap if your repair center will take the Dometic on trade. On the Dometic warranty, it is my understanding that every new unit has a 2 year warranty regardless. So if you replace it the warranty starts new on the new unit. I may be mistaken but its what I was led to believe.
Everywhere else in the world it is based on the original warranty purchase date...unless it is a prorated warranty and you pay a usage period..like tires and batteries.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #95

Y'all hurry up and use up the defective units... I wanna get a new 5er someday
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #96
Citrus County, Fl.

I was told the warranty is from the original purchase date which means i have 11 months left off I need a third replacement
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #97

The warranty time was another thing we discussed. The warranty starts at purchase of the RV, and runs for 2 years. If you have a defective unit swapped every month, you will pay out of pocket for unit #25. (I know the math works out different from that, but you get the drift...)

Kc5mhb, thanks for the explanation of the difference in the 2 systems. I may, one day, have to pull some new wire.

Dometic is turning into junk, like almost everything else RV. I keep expecting to arrive at my destination one day, towing what looks like a string through a bunch of Campbells Soup cans.....No disrespect intended to Campbells Soup.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #98

At the rate these good companies are being bought out and consolidated, I wonder where we will be in 10 years. Dometic bought out Duo Therm and Atwood. Other companies are doing the same. I guess the biggest issue is the new refrigerant they are forced to use. While we are pushed into following the law, they free vent the stuff down in Mexico. R12 and R22 were the best there ever was. I remember camping as a kid and my uncle kept his trailer like a meat locker. Can barely keep them cool now. Well I'm close to the 2 year mark so I bid adieu to Dometic. I think Coleman has an extension to their warranty for a few more years for a couple hundred dollars. I'll have to ask about that. I'll also get the exact answer on the wires from my repair center. They should be done by Thursday.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #99

I purchased 3 years of extended warranty on my Dometic Brisk Air 15,000 roof air today. Cost is $166.90. This is for 3 additional years. I dont usually buy these warranties, but with the failure rate of these units, it seemed prudent.

You can find it here; https://www.edometic.com
Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #100

I just went with Good Sam as my warranty with FR is almost up. Aside from some cosmetic items, loose water heater fittings, bad slide seal and a faulty LED light strip. I Ve been pretty lucky. Those air conditioners though are bad news. FR should drop them for Coleman.

Tags
15000 btu, 320 bhds, coachmen, cooling, dometic, lakewood, lakewood nj, air conditioner