Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #101

Add me to the list of bad Dometic Brisk Air 15,000btu A/C. Bought TH new 3 mos ago, don't know how old the A/C is.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #102
Carknocker Family

I got the ok yesterday to upgrade to a Penguin II under warranty. Still a Dometic, but maybe rid of the troublesome Brisk Air. Dealer told me that there is at least a 4 to 6 week backorder on the 15k Brisk Airs.

That's why I pushed for the penguin. All in all, feeling pretty good about it, bought camper in May '13. So there is hope for people out there past the 2 year warranty.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
I got the ok yesterday to upgrade to a Penguin II under warranty. Still a Dometic, but maybe rid of the troublesome Brisk Air. Dealer told me that there is at least a 4 to 6 week backorder on the 15k Brisk Airs.

That's why I pushed for the penguin. All in all, feeling pretty good about it, bought camper in May '13. So there is hope for people out there past the 2 year warranty.
Good to hear you got the Penguin. I have not heard back from the dealer yet on time frame to to get the replacement. Do you have any contact info I could use to get the upgrade to the penguin? Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #104
Carknocker Family

Lol.

Have your dealer give you the RGA # on authorising warranty work.

When I called the number that dealer gave me, the lady on the other end said "for Rv warranty call this number #####". Called it, has been disconnected. Called her back, asked for number again, still same number. Told her that number no good, disconnected. She said it was the only number she had and hung up.

So, I called customer service, I was number 32 in que! After 50 mins on hold, someone finally answered. I gave them my RGA # and told them what I wanted to do. Person on other end said their supervisor said that they couldn't help me, that Rv tech will have to call warranty Dept and ask for upgrade. And no, they would not give me the number.

Called dealer, told them what I found out. They said " they ain't gonna do that". I said call em anyways. They did, Penguin II on the way.

Long story short. Get your dealer to ask forr ya......
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Old 07-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #105

Couple of potential problems that I found with Dometic AC.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=113160

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Lol.

Have your dealer give you the RGA # on authorising warranty work.

When I called the number that dealer gave me, the lady on the other end said "for Rv warranty call this number #####". Called it, has been disconnected. Called her back, asked for number again, still same number. Told her that number no good, disconnected. She said it was the only number she had and hung up.

So, I called customer service, I was number 32 in que! After 50 mins on hold, someone finally answered. I gave them my RGA # and told them what I wanted to do. Person on other end said their supervisor said that they couldn't help me, that Rv tech will have to call warranty Dept and ask for upgrade. And no, they would not give me the number.

Called dealer, told them what I found out. They said " they ain't gonna do that". I said call em anyways. They did, Penguin II on the way.

Long story short. Get your dealer to ask forr ya......
Thanks, give this info to my dealer and they are going to call to see about an upgrade. He told me 4-6 week for a replacement so I'm having my fingers x
Old 07-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #107

Here is what my dealer emailed back to me:

"Just talked to Dometic about upgrade on a/c they said you could do that but the penguin 2 model is not a true 1500 BTU. It's a 135 a/c with coils a little bigger. They said the issues they had with the model you have was only certain ones built early 2015 and the replacement model is a lot more efficient and a true 1500 BTU a/c compared to penguin a/c. They don't even have penguin a/c in stock your out still 3 weeks. Cost to change out to penguin would be about $300 you would have to pay for upgrade. I would recommend you stay with the new replacement a/c that they are sending you a true 1500BTU"
Old 07-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #108

Picked my camper up from the RV repair center last Friday with a brand new Coleman Mach. I had to pay the difference of about $300 for the interior cover, thermostat, new control wire and labor. The Coleman does not have the option to force air downward from the unit into the kitchen/dining area but it is a much nicer fit and finish. When I turned it on I was getting 49 degrees out of the vent near the bedroom door. The unit is also quieter inside and out or at least it sounds that way to me. As for the Dometic warranty; if I had gone with them again I would have had to pay for the next one with labor. No thank you Dometic, I think I'm going to do better without you.
2000 F250 CC SD V10 4X4 8' bed, 4:30 gears, SCT X3
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 - Lots of GT mods
1965 Mustang Coupe I6, 3 spd. manual
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Funeral Car (Ghostbusters ECTO)
kc5mhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #109

Update....I am buying a new unit on Amazon to replace the one that is bad and on back order. Dealer said he had 3 trailers waiting for units also. When he gets the replacement unit from Dometic I will just install it in the TH Garage.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #110
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman22 View Post
Update....I am buying a new unit on Amazon to replace the one that is bad and on back order. Dealer said he had 3 trailers waiting for units also. When he gets the replacement unit from Dometic I will just install it in the TH Garage.

Price?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #111
Carknocker Family

I realize that the penguin is what they call a high capacity AC. With this going on the third Brisk Air installed. I am willing to chance it on their dime.

My original was a '13 model. Lasted a week. The replacement, also a '13 lasted till this summer. So problems have been around awhile. With other people also waiting at your dealership and mine, I am going to say that they still have problems.

Lowest bidder, usually doesn't bode well for quality.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Old 07-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Price?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "14"
$638 shipped
Old 07-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #113
Carknocker Family

Got my camper back today. Ran new A/C at home. At start up 91 degrees in camper. 96 outside. Ran for 30 mins, cooled camper down 5 degrees.

Happy. Happy. Happy

Had to shut down, storms coming with 60 to 70 mph wind gusts.

Will check out more tomorrow.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Old 07-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #114

I'm having an issue with my 2016 Sierra. The Dometic 15K unit. The service rep I'm dealing with has been great and he told me something that may be everyones problem. He said that Dometic added a certain additive to their coolant on these models and a few others that would evaporate the coolant should their ever be an escape(leak). He believes this additive is causing the coolant to evaporate in the unit itself and has caused many, many problems. FWIW. He's saying mine will be replaced without issue.
bandtroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #115

My experience with A/C units is mostly with industrial units. Some auto and home central air experience. I will NOT say that your service rep is telling a tall tale but- -I've never heard of this one. I've known the service tech who replaced the two (2) units on my 2015 TT and I trust his word. He showed me that TSB that Dometic had sent out to service techs explaining that there was a "problem in the manufacturing process" and that Dometic was working with their supplier (in China) to correct this problem. Steve stated that he had called Dometic and talked to some type of tech guy there and that tech had stated that the problem was when the Chinese company built the evaporator they had "forgotten" to dip the evaporator in some type of solution that would clean off the residual soldering flux from the connections on the evaporator. I do know that by NOT cleaning off a newly soldered joint there is a risk that the leftover flux can/may turn into an acidic solution and can/may eat through the copper tubing causing a tiny pinhole leak. I agree with that scenario as to why these fairly new units have the refrigerant leak out to the point that they no longer will cool.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandtroberts View Post
?....... He believes this additive is causing the coolant to evaporate in the unit itself and has caused many, many problems. FWIW. He's saying mine will be replaced without issue.
From the perspective of Physics 101, this is not possible. These systems are closed and sealed systems, and the material used in the cooling processes changes from a liquid to a gas as the transfer of heat is achieved. Many folks think that an "air conditioner" cools. It does not. What it does is absorb heat (inside), and move it to a different place.(outside).

I also understand that the sealed units are aluminum, which has always been difficult to "solder" like copper which is very easy to solder. I've been told that there was a failure in the process of connecting the component parts which resulted in a leak and resulting loss of freon.

When my unit failed to work, it was initially difficult to troubleshoot because the blower system ran fine. The compressor easily kicked on, and sounded perfectly normal. But the temperature never changed. When I climbed up top with my IR thermometer, I could tell there was no heat being moved anywhere because the temp on both sides of the condensor coil was unchanged. There was also no change in temp on both sides of the evaporator coil. Total loss of freon. Even if the compressor had a leaking check valve, there would be a small movement of freon, and the resulting movement of heat.

Dometic definitely sustained a failure in the manufacturing process. I sure hope its resolved.

We havent camped since the AC was replaced, because of a new grandbaby....but we have a trip planned in Sept. I probably should go turn it on and let it run some now, while its so stinkin HOT!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #117

Update on Dometic A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman22 View Post
Got the dealer to install the replacement A/C I bought while waiting on the warranty replacement. Went to Disney for a week and the new unit stopped cooling. Got home Sunday and called dealer to see if the warranty replacement was in and he said no and he did not know when it would be. So now I have 2 15K Dometic units that are bad and no replacements. Not a happy camper
Old 08-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #118
Site Team

I just had a second unit replaced under warranty, and it only took them about a week to get one from Dometic. I don't know what the holdup is on some or your units.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #119

Well I guess I have a dealer that is dishonest. I called Dometic and they said my replace unit for warranty on the 1st unit was delivered on the 2nd of Aug. On the 2nd unit they said I HAVE to take it to a Dometic dealer. I offered to sent it back to them on my dime for them to ck verfi that it was bad and they said no. Dealer has not called me back or answered my emails today.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #120
Site Team

Bummer about that.
I'd see if I could find an RV service place (even mobile service) that would handle the newest one for you.

Tags
15000 btu, 320 bhds, coachmen, cooling, dometic, lakewood, lakewood nj, air conditioner