Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #1

Dometic a/c

Hey guys, I'm sure these questions have been asked before, but please humor me. I have a Dometic B75915.711c0 13,500 BTU A/C unit. It's not cooling. I popped the cover off and the compressor is running, the high side is hot, but the low side is ambient temperature and the evaporator is luke warm. I assume it's low on refrigerant since the electrics seem to be working fine. I see no ports to charge the system, am I to assume that if this system loses its charge I need to replace the entire unit? Is this the industry accepted repair? I ask because I have a warranty on the trailer, and I can make the repairs at my shop, but it's a car dealer so we're not familiar with all things RV. I'm going away late next week, Amazon shows this exact unit for a replacement, if I order it today I can have it Tuesday and I'd install it Wednesday, and I'll be good for my trip (DW will NOT go without a/c). I like the thought of getting the same unit for ease of installation. I want to make sure that this is the right thing to do, because I have to order it today, before I get approval from the warranty company. Thanks for the input guys!

Joe
Old 08-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #2

Hi Joe,

Get all of the information off of your unit and contact Dometic with the manufacturing number. I had the same issue with my 15k unit. I was told that my number was NOT one of the ones they were replacing. I told them they needed to expand the numbers they were replacing because a 1 1/2 year old closed system unit should NOT be low on freon. You might get lucky and get a replacement.

I had to purchase a bullet valve, some stop leak and R410A refrigerant to fix my unit. It is back to cooling to 72* on a 90* day.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #3

Too bad you're in PA, I'd buy that old unit from you. Unfortunately, if these units are outside their warranty, replacement seems to be the choice most make. If you're handy (can you braze copper?) and the leak can be accessed, you can economically make the repair yourself if you have the equipment to do so.
ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
Hi Joe,
I had to purchase a bullet valve, some stop leak and R410A refrigerant to fix my unit. It is back to cooling to 72* on a 90* day.

Good luck,
Don
This is what I did and it's been working out for me. I believe the units are shipped low on Freon from the factory which makes getting a good replacement a 50/50 chance.

Tags
dometic