Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #1

Dometic AC compressor not starting

I have recently installed a new Dometic 15K Duo Therm AC unit. Normally the compressor starts within 10 seconds after the blower, but occasionally it will not start and the blower will turn off after a minute or so and then cycle again after a few minutes. The compressor may start on the second attempt or it may take 3 attempts. This is very intermittent and there may be a few days between occurrences. When I have checked the voltages it is been between 118 and 120. Should I add a starting capacitor? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks
jfschmitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfschmitter View Post
I have recently installed a new Dometic 15K Duo Therm AC unit. Normally the compressor starts within 10 seconds after the blower, but occasionally it will not start and the blower will turn off after a minute or so and then cycle again after a few minutes. The compressor may start on the second attempt or it may take 3 attempts. This is very intermittent and there may be a few days between occurrences. When I have checked the voltages it is been between 118 and 120. Should I add a starting capacitor? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks
If new I would call Dometic. It should be under warranty.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #3

It sounds more like a stat problem, even if the compressor did not start and was out on internal overload, your blower would still stay on. Because your blower is shutting down it could also be the circuit board inside the unit, but I think more then likely it's the stat. Is your breaker tripping? If no then it's not an overload or equalization problem. It's a stat or board problem in the unit.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

No the breaker is not tripping. The stat and control unit are also new. This is under warranty, but I want to be sure that it will be covered prior to calling a mobile service tech to diagnose the problem.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

I would think that it would be under Warranty, in fact I think they are under warranty for 2 years, the problem will be for him to try and make it happen when he is there. Also some stats are bad right out of the box. If you put the stat on that would not be under warranty but your A/C would be.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #6

I have replaced the thermostat and control kit and still have the same issue. The other problem is that this occurs only at night when the outside air temp drops. I am in florida, so it is not that cool at night. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #7

Were are you running it????? At home with a long extension cord??? Or with at least a 30A cord & 30A Breaker

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #8

I have a 30 amp service at the campground. I have checked the night time voltages for any drop, but it stays steady at 119 to 121.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

If new I would call Dometic. It should be under warranty.
2 year warranty for dometic a/c
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #10

I have called Dometic and they gave me the number for a mobile AC tech. I will post the information when I get an answer.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #11

I have a new Dometic air conditioner with exactly the same symptoms. Dealer replaced wall thermostat and control board under warranty to no avail. Fails mostly at night where the temp differential is small. Counted fan coming on and off 20 times without compressor coming on. Heat of finger under the stat will turn the compressor on. Taking it in again. I think it is in the program chip in the wall stat.
hrepich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #12

I had tried 2 Thermostat and control box assemblies and had the same issue with both. I contacted Dometic and they sent me a T stat and control box for a unit that has heat strips. Although I don't use the heat strip, this control is different that the original. This works great! Functions as it should. I think they have a design flaw in the other style controls.
Joe S.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #13

Thanks, they replaced the t stat with a white one, used to be black, both are LED read outs with buttons and a circuit board behind in a new 2013 Winebago.
hrepich1 is offline   Reply With Quote