Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #1

Dometic AC freezing Up

Any ideas why the unit sounds like an ice maker dumping ice and then drips water out of the vents? Less than 1 year old. It will run fine during the day and freeze up as soon as the sun sets.
gatormanpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Which unit do you have?
How long has it been doing it?

There are a few things that cause freezeup in these A/C's.
1) Low air flow through the unit. Check the air filter, Check for restrictions in duct if ducted unit.
2) Low refrigerant.
3) Freeze coil not attached to evaporator.
4) Short circuiting of supply and return air. Check partition between inlet and outlet air sections in ceiling.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #3

Not to sound the trumpets, but there was a recent problem with some Dometic units with charge/leaks/coil manufacture. Contact your dealer if you don't figure it out. I have read of 3 or 4 new units on the same RV in a couple years. Supposedly after July of '16 the problem was fixed.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #4

Taking it back to the dealer Saturday
Old 05-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #5

I am interested in your results when the dealer looks at it. I have a2016 Cedar Creek and the front ac is freezing up regularly. No noise or dripping as yours is, but freezing none the less. I bought mine in October of 15 and was not aware of the optional 2nd year warranty, so mine is out and I am taking it to a local dealer but could not get an appointment until June. I wouldn't be upset if it was one of the defective units as I am pretty sure dometic warrants it for 2 years irregardless of the expired forest river warranty. Good luck with yours. Post the results if you get time.
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #6

Dometic factory rep told me to run A/C fan on high, not auto in hot humid weather. Fan runs all the time, compressor comes on as needed. Much less chance of icing up. turn back to auto at night.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
Dometic factory rep told me to run A/C fan on high, not auto in hot humid weather. Fan runs all the time, compressor comes on as needed. Much less chance of icing up. turn back to auto at night.
On our new Coachmen it has a Dometic A/C and I'll keep this in mind. It gets very hot and humid here in Southern Indiana.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
RiderBloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgas View Post
I am interested in your results when the dealer looks at it. I have a2016 Cedar Creek and the front ac is freezing up regularly. No noise or dripping as yours is, but freezing none the less. I bought mine in October of 15 and was not aware of the optional 2nd year warranty, so mine is out and I am taking it to a local dealer but could not get an appointment until June. I wouldn't be upset if it was one of the defective units as I am pretty sure dometic warrants it for 2 years irregardless of the expired forest river warranty. Good luck with yours. Post the results if you get time.
My 26RR Grey Wolf did the same and at the 2 year mark I have had it replaced. It's gas was gone, leaving me gasping in summer. If it never seems to get down to a reasonable temperature and then turn off but rather runs and runs and runs to no effect it needs to be replaced as there is no fix. The new one seems to be working great, though it is not really powerful enough for the RV IMHO.
Good luck.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
2017 Windjammer 3029w

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
This has helped me during hot Texas summers by keeping the fan on high all the time.
Dastagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

I believe the a/c in my 2015 TT (purchased new in 2016) has a similar problem as another post. The a/c runs non-stop to the point that it was 50 degrees in the TT by morning once and like 60 degrees outside! I've had the TT back to the dealer 2-3 times and they keep saying they can't get it to run non-stop like the problems I've experienced. My one year warranty expired 2 months ago but I did get an extended warranty with the TT. I'm concerned the problem will be repeated again this year as I had trouble on at least 4 trips last summer. I don't really know what to do as I am not a heating/cooling expert. I just know it has been downright freezing in the TT when the a/c will not shut off, regardless of how cool the temperature outside has gotten.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #11
Retired Army MSG!

Dometic

I have had my AC replaced twice on my 2016 Coachmen that I purchased in July 2015. The last time in December 2016. Hopefully it will be the last time but the warranty is 2 years on these units so take it back and have them replace.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #12

Problem for three years.

I have complained and my dealer says he found the trouble. He said duct work was coming "down". Not sure what that means be he claims it now works great I pick it up next week. We'll see. Getting microwave changed to convection microwave. Old microwave died. Don't know final cost yet, but should be $300-500. Hope this lasts more than 2.5 years.
dwa1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #13
RiderBloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa1000 View Post
I have complained and my dealer says he found the trouble. He said duct work was coming "down". Not sure what that means be he claims it now works great I pick it up next week. We'll see. Getting microwave changed to convection microwave. Old microwave died. Don't know final cost yet, but should be $300-500. Hope this lasts more than 2.5 years.

When I looked at my duct work it seemed to be made of just cardboard, which could easily be crushed down, and to go beyond the outlets. I have used some duct tape to close the holes it was leaving open to go nowhere and also to seal up the places where it meets the outlet so most of the air flows out where it is needed. The same sort of problem can exist inside the AC unit and the air flow from outlet back into inlet internally.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
Old 05-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #14

My unit: 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express with one 15K unit and two (2) slides. I have had problems with the Dometic A/C since the purchase in January '15. I'm not on my third unit, the last one put on in August of '16. I keep the TT in my back yard and plugged in all the time mainly for two reasons: 1) I keep water in the small fridge in the outside kitchen for when I'm outside working (a lot), and 2) I keep my fresh water tank about 1/2 full so that my g'son's can go in the TT to use the bathroom while they are outside. I keep the A/C set to 80* and it does run quite a bit here in S.W.Ga during the winter months. Heck, I think we had two days of less than 70* temp during the "winter". There have been posts on this forum stating that some people, such as me, had their Dometic units replaced under the original two year warranty but the new units were NOT replaced with a two year warranty on just the A/C unit. Then there have been post from some people stating that their replacement units have a separate two year warranty from the date of replacement. I'd like to know how they did that. "RiderBloke" hit the nail on the head with his statements about the A/C ducting and the connection points at the registers. I found one place in my duct that had collapsed about 1/2 of what it should have been. Luckily I could get my hand into the area that had collapsed. I made a sheet metal piece that would hold the duct open as it should be and installed it. ALL of my registers had spaces between the duct work and the ceiling of the unit and I was losing precious cool air into these areas. I spent quite a few hours pushing the ceiling panels up to the duct work, placing three sheet metal screws to hold them together, although they are not sheet metal, and then using foil tape to seal them together. I could tell that the A/C was blowing more air into the inside of the unit. I even pulled the LED lighting from the ceiling to measure temps in the areas above the light and did find one that had cool air coming from the opening in the ceiling where the LED light mounted. I never did determine where this cool air was coming from. I'm thinking seriously about buying a "borescope" type camera to look up into the attic area above the ceiling and find out what's up there.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgas View Post

They ended up replacing it.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #16

Thanks for letting me know. Mine is going in next week
mgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #17
RiderBloke

Dometic AC freezing Up

And they replaced mine. IMHO they should just install the 15k units. Hope they attend to yours appropriately. Have some forum examples ready. Domestic does have 2 yr warranty.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner

Tags
dometic