Old 07-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
I wonder if your fuel pump isn't going out like I believe mine is (also have an Onan 4kw). I'm taking mine in tomorrow to get it checked out. It behaved similar to yours, at high altitude and hot. I used to hear a ticking sound during priming, but from what I understand, it should be more of a thud sound. Mine will run fine right now and run the AC, but I'm guessing it'll shut down again if I start driving and its 100F out. I also have to prime it 3 times or so before it'll start. Hence I'm leaning towards a bad fuel pump. We'll find out tomorrow and I'll keep you posted.
I checked the fuel pump. I have no issue with the generator starting and running. It is just when the AC turns on.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
Please post the make, model, and serial number of the generator.
If the transfer switch is clicking, then the delay switch on the control board of the transfer switch has been disabled.
Can I fix this?

Old 07-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #33

AC on generator

Mine was doing the same thing. I flipped the breakers for fridge and water heater off and it worked fine with just 1 ac unit on.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyb0y View Post
Mine was doing the same thing. I flipped the breakers for fridge and water heater off and it worked fine with just 1 ac unit on.
I tried that, doesn't help either. Same pattern. AC turns off, I hear the clicking and then the generator turns off.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #35

You unit is s 2012.
Could be a long list of possibilities.
A 4000 would run 1 AC, fridge just fine.
When it's this hot, it's best to shed all un-needed loads.
Taking it in is a good idea.
If you want the most comprehensive feedback post your wuestion in the onan section of this forum. Antique Engines and Old Iron Tractors on SmokStak
Old 07-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #36

Just got back from taking our Gen into Cummins and they couldn't duplicate the vapor lock issue which I expected. Ours has never failed. I noticed your Genset is behind the drivers seat, and one thing the Cummins tech said was that this is a problem location being right behind the engine and all the heat it produces. If you have a weak fuel pump, it might not be able to keep up. He said they typically put a fuel pump inline back by the fuel tank to help push the fuel to the main pump. And splice the wiring into the original pump. He said the ECU can handle the additional amps. Anyways, just some info if your thinking its a vapor lock or weak fuel pump. I'll be doing this mod though to ours to make sure we don't have an issue in the future.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threegaleh View Post
I have had the same problem and a guy who repairs small engines says it's not big enough to run the air. Your post could have been wrote by me it's so similar.
Since I wrote this post I got more info, it seems it will run it but you can't have anything else running and we had our hot water tank on which draws a lot

Tags
dometic, generator