Old 07-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

Dometic AC problems

I started my AC today for the first time this season. We have had the trailer out before, just not in the heat. When I first turned it on, the fan worked fine. When i turned on the AC, the lights went dim and the fan slowed down, like there was a huge current draw. After about 5 secs, the AC came on and blew cold air. Every thing normal for 2 mins and then it bogged down again and didn't restart--I turned it off after 15 secs. If I wait 15-20 mins, it will turn on and run perfectly for 1-2 mins, then bog down. The fan works great so long as the AC is not on.

The symptoms sound like the compressor is trying to come on against full head pressure. The problem with that theory is that it bogged down when I first turned it on after not being used since last year. And-why would the compressor have cycled off in the first place? Anyone have any ideas, or is it new AC time? The AC is only 4 years old and has been used sparingly.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #2

That's what happens when you have insufficient power to the AC. Have you verified your amps at the receptacle?

Old 07-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

That was it!! I can't thank you enough. I first reaction was that that couldn't be it because it has always worked before. Then I realized I was using a much smaller and longer extension cord. Went back to the cord I had used before and all works well. Thanks again, you saved me many hours and much money.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

Not to hijack this thread but what would cause a AC to freeze up?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrel View Post
That was it!! I can't thank you enough. I first reaction was that that couldn't be it because it has always worked before. Then I realized I was using a much smaller and longer extension cord. Went back to the cord I had used before and all works well. Thanks again, you saved me many hours and much money.

Great to hear that your unit is working. I highly recommend for you (and others) to install a hard start capacitor. It provides the surge of amps that the unit needs on start up and can extend the life of your compressor.

Supco SPP6, Relay Start Capacitor 120-288V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FM8X3Q..._EKMNxb03MHNHA

Inexpensive and easy to install. I carry a spare for when I run into another camper that is having issues.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrel View Post
Old 07-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post

First make sure your vents are open all the way and make sure condensate is getting out.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #8

We went out this weekend in S. GA. The temp on my trucks thermometer when pulling into the campground was 96* and probably rising. After hooking up I turned on just the 15K A/C with no fridge or electric water heater on yet. The unit ran and sounded fine but after one hour the temp within the unit went up. Of course I checked all the obvious things but found nothing wrong. I keep an infrared thermometer with my truck and checked the discharge air temp at the evaporator coil, it was 65*. Figure that the air blowing through the condenser had to be at or better than 100* so there was not anything I could do about this. This is also the third Dometic unit on my camper within 18 months. We eventually started the fridge but left the water heater off as there is a nice bath house at the cg. The best I could get the inside temp of my unit was 88* at 4 p.m. and the outside temp was at 101* according to my truck and phone thermometer. This is a 31 footer with two slides and I closed off the back slide to help. It did cool down to 77* at 10 p.m. and I happened to get up at 2:15 a.m. so I checked the discharge air temp on the unit again--35* cold air coming from the A/C unit. It didn't take long Sunday morn to break down and get home. It's just too darned hot down here.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If a unit ices up it could be insufficient air flow through the evaporator coil due to a dirty coil, dirty air filter, closed or blocked air ducts or too slow fan speed. Another cause that you don't want is insufficient freon. If these units leak freon, they are pretty much garbage. Nobody wants to fix them so you throw it away and buy another.

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
We went out this weekend in S. GA. The temp on my trucks thermometer when pulling into the campground was 96* and probably rising. After hooking up I turned on just the 15K A/C with no fridge or electric water heater on yet. The unit ran and sounded fine but after one hour the temp within the unit went up. Of course I checked all the obvious things but found nothing wrong. I keep an infrared thermometer with my truck and checked the discharge air temp at the evaporator coil, it was 65*. Figure that the air blowing through the condenser had to be at or better than 100* so there was not anything I could do about this. This is also the third Dometic unit on my camper within 18 months. We eventually started the fridge but left the water heater off as there is a nice bath house at the cg. The best I could get the inside temp of my unit was 88* at 4 p.m. and the outside temp was at 101* according to my truck and phone thermometer. This is a 31 footer with two slides and I closed off the back slide to help. It did cool down to 77* at 10 p.m. and I happened to get up at 2:15 a.m. so I checked the discharge air temp on the unit again--35* cold air coming from the A/C unit. It didn't take long Sunday morn to break down and get home. It's just too darned hot down here.

I have heard that about all one AC unit will do is take 20 degrees off whatever the high temperature is. Starting the AC off in the morning lets the AC get a jump on how hot the camper gets but if the outside temperature gets to 96 degrees the AC will run pretty much all the time. I have two and when the temperature gets that hot they pretty much run all the time

spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic