Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #1

Dometic Air Conditioner

I purchased a 2018 Salem TT February 2018 and 6 months later the AC unit is blowing warm air.

I took the TT into Camping World and they checked it and there was no freon. They installed a new unit and last week when it was 80° outside and 81° inside the TT again the AC is blowing warm air.

Took the TT back to Camping World yesterday to have it checked out again.

Anyone else having multiple system failures? Anyone know if there's any kind of class action lawsuit against Dometic?

I see the AC units are made in China. I guess we can't expect quality workmanship.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Coach

Don't know what kind of lawsuit you'll have if they are honoring the warranty. We had the same issue. Just one time though. Second unit has worked well.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

I don't know valleyduo .. I see class action lawsuits for Dometic refrigerators due to leaking freon.

I'm more concerned about loss of RV usage. The last time it took a month and a half to get the my TT back. Also, what happens a year and a month from now when the unit fails again? Will it be covered under warranty?

Back in the 70's I had a Shasta motorhome and that AC would freeze you out and never failed. Over the years I have had several 5th wheels and travel trailers and the AC units never failed.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Coach

Welcome to the age of technology. Stuff is produced as cheaply and quickly as possible in the global economy. When ours went out it was the second trip out for the summer. We had four more planned. As we didn't want to chance missing our other four trips we waited til after to get the replacement. As for your warranty, that question should be asked to Dometic. Personally, if ours goes again, I will buy another and it won't be a Dometic.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Sounds like you may have just gotten unlucky. There was a rash of units failing a few years ago, but nothing out of the ordinary lately. Certainly not enough to warrant a class action of any kind.

At 1 year and a month you'll still have warranty on your A/C. Check the paperwork to see how long the warranty on it is. I believe it's 2 years.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #6

If your concern is loss of use of your RV, stop taking it to a dealer. Any dealer is going to take weeks or months for any warranty work. Just search the threads here for insight into that.

Take it to a service only independent for timely (and better quality) service. For warranty work, just ensure the shop gets pre-approval. Easy.

We only use independents for service (including warranty) we can't do ourselves. Much happier.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, dometic