Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
My guess is not enough air flow.
If it does not freeze up with quick cool dump which I suspect it won't, your not getting enough air flow over the coils


2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
After 45 minutes I am at the following:

Intake air is at 70 degrees
Output air is at 60 degrees
Amperage pull is at 7.8 amps

No sign of freezing yet, after 45 minutes. I check back again in an hour or so and see what it is doing.

I have taken the air filter cover off and removed in order to get the temp readings. How could I possibly get anymore air flow than the setup I have right now?

I still say with such a small load on the unit, the amperage is still way too low, based on dealer advice.

Thanks for the advice,

Jerry
__________________

__________________
js415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #42
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,383
The current draw will also vary with the ambient temp. The current on a 95 degree day will be higher (as is pressure) than on an 80degree day. There are charts showing current draw vs ambient temp.
__________________

__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by js415 View Post
After 45 minutes I am at the following:

Intake air is at 70 degrees
Output air is at 60 degrees
Amperage pull is at 7.8 amps

No sign of freezing yet, after 45 minutes. I check back again in an hour or so and see what it is doing.

I have taken the air filter cover off and removed in order to get the temp readings. How could I possibly get anymore air flow than the setup I have right now?

I still say with such a small load on the unit, the amperage is still way too low, based on dealer advice.

Thanks for the advice,

Jerry

Are any vents closed or blocked off?



2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Are any vents closed or blocked off?



2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
The vents are not closed or blocked off. There is still a very, very small amount of air coming out of the vents.

I am at 1 hour now with the following specs:

Intake air: 70 degrees
Output air: 58 degrees
Amperage: 8.0

Should I leave the vents open or close them? Since it is past the coils, it really should not matter, correct?

Jerry
__________________
js415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #45
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,383
Sounds like you may have confirmed your air flow during normal operation ( quick cool dump closed) may be restricted. I have some that have been crushed by romex or physical structures. Also some normal sized vents are connected to the AC unit with small 2" ducts. You may have to run the AC with the dump partially open at least until the humidity gets low.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #46
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,232
The low air flow out of the vents is possibly your problem.
On one of my units the divider came loose between the forced air and the return .
I'd look into that.


2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10
The unit has not frozen up in 2 hours. That is better than I had this weekend.

When I use the vents though, the air flow is very strong. If you stand under them it is strong enough to blow your hair around on your head, so it is dumping pretty hard through the vents until it freezes.

When I put the cover and filter back on, that will reduce the flow, also.

When both units were new, they never froze up.

I still am not seeing a drop in temperature.

After 2 hours I am still at the specs below:

Intake air: 69 degrees
Output air: 59 degrees
Amps: 7.6

It's almost cooler outside now, than it is inside the trailer.

Forgetting the air flow issue, I still should be cooling of a lot quicker and showing an output temp much lower, wouldn't you think?

Thanks to both you for the advice.

Jerry
__________________
js415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #48
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10
I just now went out and checked it for the last time tonight.

It's 75 degrees outside, and 69 degrees in the trailer.

The damper is still set on "full dump" mode, and not using the vents.

It is frozen up solid with ZERO air flow through the dump vent.

Temperature inside the trailer has only dropped 2 degrees since I started this process this afternoon.

Still pulling exactly 8 Amps on the compressor.

I think I'm going to order a new unit and start with a fresh one to get this thing figured out.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks for the help and advice,

Jerry
__________________
js415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by js415 View Post
I just now went out and checked it for the last time tonight.

It's 75 degrees outside, and 69 degrees in the trailer.

The damper is still set on "full dump" mode, and not using the vents.

It is frozen up solid with ZERO air flow through the dump vent.

Temperature inside the trailer has only dropped 2 degrees since I started this process this afternoon.

Still pulling exactly 8 Amps on the compressor.

I think I'm going to order a new unit and start with a fresh one to get this thing figured out.

I will keep you informed.

Thanks for the help and advice,

Jerry

Check the price at ppl motorhomes


2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 309
Why would you replace it with another Dometic given all the problems folks are having with their's?

There are other manufacturers and I can recommend Atwood. Their 15k unit performs at an 18k equivalent, is much quieter than the Dometic and uses less current.

I can also recommend PPL Motorhomes as a good place to purchase your unit.
__________________

__________________
KatanaPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air conditioner, dometic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 PM.