Old 03-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #51

Luckily I found out mine was crap in June of15 so it was replaced in July 2015 with a fresh unit. The new one is worlds better. For what ever reason,the model Dometic that is in the front of the unit is a beast. It is the low profile design and just runs like a champ. When the other one was crappingout,the front unit ran and ran and we were using a big fan to suck the cool air out of the front bedroom into the center of the coach. It never once complained.

Good luck on a replacement. If you decide to get another brand, PPL is a great place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js415 View Post
I have been testing mine for 3 days now.

My camper is parked in a pole barn. Interior temperature is around 70 degrees. Outside air is around 80 degrees.

From a fresh start, the compressor never pulls more than 7.2 amps. Once it is started and starts to cool, it runs anywhere from 6.8 to 7.2 amps.

After about 1 hour of running, the air flow starts to deteriorate until there is zero air flow, due to the coils freezing over.

When I had it replaced the first time, they told me the key item to check was the amperage pull. It pulled 8.6 as noted on the work order and they said that was way too low. It is even less now.

I'm thinking both of my units were part of the batch that was messed up from Dometic. The TSB says they were bad from 2013 until March of 2015. Mine was replaced right in the middle of this time.

Right now I'm debating replacing myself or sending to a dealer.

Jerry

TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Stock for now.
Days Camped 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 28 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Why would you replace it with another Dometic given all the problems folks are having with their's?

There are other manufacturers and I can recommend Atwood. Their 15k unit performs at an 18k equivalent, is much quieter than the Dometic and uses less current.

I can also recommend PPL Motorhomes as a good place to purchase your unit.
I'm willing to give Dometic one more chance on a new unit, but only because they acknowledged there were problems, and that they have the time frame narrowed down on the defective units.

That, along with the fact that I would need to change a bunch of wiring, control boxes, etc. if I choose to go with another manufacturer right now.

I talked to a very trusted and reputable RV tech this week, who gave me some good advice and info about the Dometic units.

I have decided to order another unit from PPL. They have them on sale for $499.

I will install it myself and do some readings and report back on the results.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions.

Jerry

Old 03-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #53

Lucky? Had trailer two weeks, brought back to the dealer for repairs, tech found rear ac weak. They replaced it, good to go. Was again replaced ten months later. Failure. Went out again November, due to illness, I put off calling service man, thinking I had two year warranty from replacement date. Found out today, two years from original purchase date. We finally got together today, and he checked both units. Rear is out, front is weak. Ordered both.
Warranty is up Monday!!!!
Lucky??

Nights camped in 2016:03😄
D-maxx dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #54

If I have to replace my 13.5 btu ducted Duotherm, is there anything special I need to be aware of about the removal/reinstallation? Only one unit in camper. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #55
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywilly View Post
If I have to replace my 13.5 btu ducted Duotherm, is there anything special I need to be aware of about the removal/reinstallation? Only one unit in camper. Thanks.

When you get new unit installed you'll need to beg, borrow or steal an inch lb torque wrench.

The four bolts must be evenly torqued to between 40 - 50 INCH lbs.

They recommend torquing the bolts evenly to 30 inch lbs then letting it sit for a day and then coming back and torquing evenly to the specified 40-50 inch lbs.

Then I let it sit another day and rechecked torque.

Other then that it's straight forward.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 03-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #56

Thank you so much.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #57
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billywilly View Post
Thank you so much.

If you have any questions let me know.

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 03-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #58

I ended up ordering my new unit from PPL. It only took 3 days to get here.

I took the old unit down Friday night and installed the new unit.

It was 72 degrees in the trailer, since nothing had been running inside for 3 days. It was also about 72 degrees inside my pole barn.

After hooking everything up, I set the thermostat on 68 degrees and fired it up. Within about 2 minutes it was pumping out 55 degree air, and fifteen minutes later the trailer temp had dropped to 68 and the output air on the unit was reading 43-45 degrees.

The amperage pull at this time was around 9-9.2 amps.

I let it stabilize for about an hour, then dropped the thermostat to 65 degrees. It immediately kicked on and the compressor started pulling 14 amps, and then dropped to around 12 amps and stayed close to that.

The output air was around 40 degrees or so. Within minutes the trailer temp dropped to 68, and the compressor cycled off and on for the rest of the day.

The next morning the compressor was not running due to the cool temps, but the fan was purring away. During the next day it continued to cycle off and on as normal with no freezing and kept the trailer exactly at the 68 degree temp I had picked.

I have no doubt my 2nd unit was bad, just like the first one.

Now I have to wait and see if the third one will last any longer.

Thanks for the advice and tips,

Jerry
Old 03-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #59
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by js415 View Post
I ended up ordering my new unit from PPL. It only took 3 days to get here.

I took the old unit down Friday night and installed the new unit.

It was 72 degrees in the trailer, since nothing had been running inside for 3 days. It was also about 72 degrees inside my pole barn.

After hooking everything up, I set the thermostat on 68 degrees and fired it up. Within about 2 minutes it was pumping out 55 degree air, and fifteen minutes later the trailer temp had dropped to 68 and the output air on the unit was reading 43-45 degrees.

The amperage pull at this time was around 9-9.2 amps.

I let it stabilize for about an hour, then dropped the thermostat to 65 degrees. It immediately kicked on and the compressor started pulling 14 amps, and then dropped to around 12 amps and stayed close to that.

The output air was around 40 degrees or so. Within minutes the trailer temp dropped to 68, and the compressor cycled off and on for the rest of the day.

The next morning the compressor was not running due to the cool temps, but the fan was purring away. During the next day it continued to cycle off and on as normal with no freezing and kept the trailer exactly at the 68 degree temp I had picked.

I have no doubt my 2nd unit was bad, just like the first one.

Now I have to wait and see if the third one will last any longer.

Thanks for the advice and tips,

Jerry

Good to hear!

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 06-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #60
Retired Retail/Importer

Dometic A/C E-1 Error code??

I picked up our FR 360PDEK a week ago...our a/c is showing E-1 and that error code means not getting connection communications....what do I do now? I think I pushed the program button when I was trying to switch zones and I confused the system right? Anyone know what I need to do?

Tags
air conditioner, dometic