Old 10-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #71

Dometic AC Failures

Guess I'll add my story to the long list of problems with the Dometic AC units.

Mine is a 13.5 in a 2016 Grey Wolf 26RR which was purchased in April 2016. The factory install unit failed in July 2016 and was replaced by a local Dometic Service company. Well now 3 months later, that unit has failed. Both times the failure was a gradual loss of refrigerant. This time when I contacted Dometic they acknowledged that:

"We are aware of the issue with this particular model. Most likely they are going to try to replace it with the same model. the particular problem we had with those models has been fixed and all current versions of that model are working just fine."

Oh well the new unit will be here within a week and I'll know around January if it's any better made than the previous two units

BTW, I did take advantage of their discounted pricing on extending the warranty.

If anyone else needs to locate a Dometic service center, here is the link:

Service Locator

Old 02-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #72

Dometic air conditioner noise

Has anyone had a problem with the noise from these units. When mine comes on i have to turn the tv up to 50 to hear it over the AC.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #73

The Dometic is very noisy

There are plenty of complaints about the noise from the Dometic a/c. I removed our perfectly functioning Dometic 13.5k BTU a/c only unit and replaced it with an Atwood 15k BTU heat pump. The Atwood is wonderfully quiet on all three speeds, cools much better and draws less amps - so much so that our small diesel generator can handle it. Plus it's a heat pump too. FR limits you to a 13.5K a/c only unit with the diesel generator option.

The Atwood is only a few dollars more than the Dometic at retail prices. FR uses the Atwood in the Isata 3 but not in the "entry level" Forester, Sunseeker and Solera MBS models.

This is one of the best improvements we have made to our Forester MBS. Personally, I think the Atwood ought to be standard equipment, especially with the high priced diesel generator option.
Old Today, 11:30 AM   #74

Couldn't post to my original thread (it was too old)

My trailer is at the dealer getting its second replacement 15K dometic A/C.

First one quit within 3 months of ownership. Second one, replaced last June worked good through the rest of the season. Found out it went bad during this season shakedown (lost refrigerant).

Good news is according my dealer dometic is now giving a 2 year warranty on all replacements, starting at the time of installation.

2016 Ram 2500 CC 6.4L 4x4
m2kamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #75

Great so they extend the warranty the real question and controversy still remains they are and have been providing a defective product and really haven't done anything to fix it other then install another. Plus the RV industry knows this and plays along because they get a better deal on pricing. Anything wrong with this picture.
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #76

I noticed that the coachmen Chaparral line now comes with Mach three units, so maybe they are wising up. (My 2017 has dometics which are failing)
Old Today, 01:31 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughd033 View Post
Great so they extend the warranty the real question and controversy still remains they are and have been providing a defective product and really haven't done anything to fix it other then install another. Plus the RV industry knows this and plays along because they get a better deal on pricing. Anything wrong with this picture.
I asked the service manager this same question and she said that Dometic has admitted they made a bad batch (i'm gonna say an entire production run, for some time based on the many complaints here) and that they are only shipping replacements now that have been "fixed")

Not holding my breath on that, but at least I'm fortunate to have an outstanding dealer service department.

Old Today, 03:07 PM   #78

m2kamp: "Good news is according my dealer dometic is now giving a 2 year warranty on all replacements, starting at the time of installation." For those of us who believe we can read but cannot comprehend at times: Are you stating that a replacement unit will be warranted for 2 years from date of installation? I've had my fill of Dometic and Dometic replacement units. I am now on my third unit, counting original, and my local service man has made calls to Dometic trying to get extended warranty on my replacement units to no avail. It's been getting warm her lately with temps in the mid-80's. My TT sits in the back yard, a little shade, with the thermostat set on 78* and has been running almost all day to keep the unit at 78* +/-. I have a trip planned and paid for to upper Florida Memorial Day long weekend and I'm already leery that the heat is going to be bad and the A/C unit won't keep up. My last replacement unit was installed August of 2016 and I wonder IF Dometic might just fork up a 2 year warranty on that one.
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
m2kamp: "Good news is according my dealer dometic is now giving a 2 year warranty on all replacements, starting at the time of installation." For those of us who believe we can read but cannot comprehend at times: Are you stating that a replacement unit will be warranted for 2 years from date of installation? I've had my fill of Dometic and Dometic replacement units. I am now on my third unit, counting original, and my local service man has made calls to Dometic trying to get extended warranty on my replacement units to no avail. It's been getting warm her lately with temps in the mid-80's. My TT sits in the back yard, a little shade, with the thermostat set on 78* and has been running almost all day to keep the unit at 78* +/-. I have a trip planned and paid for to upper Florida Memorial Day long weekend and I'm already leery that the heat is going to be bad and the A/C unit won't keep up. My last replacement unit was installed August of 2016 and I wonder IF Dometic might just fork up a 2 year warranty on that one.
Hi Thurman,

Yes, my service adviser informed me that Dometic will warranty my replacement unit for 2 years from the installation date, not the date I purchased my RV.

I was ready for a fight regarding this, but I was pleasantly surprised when she told me (without me asking).

I suppose I better get this in writing. When I do, I'll post a pic of the paperwork.

My dealer is a small independent thats been in business 35+ years and carries Forrest River products exclusively and they have had multiple replacements of these A/C units. She asked me if i was going to wait around for the a/c to be replaced lol. At least the techs are well trained in swapping them out now.

I'm lucky I only live about 15 mins away and have an excellent dealer. I could only imagine the frustration I'd have if I was a full timer and had no good dealer nearby... If I was in that situation, I would purchase a Coleman or other company replacement immediately and take part in a class action suit against Dometic.

Old Today, 03:44 PM   #80

Thurman,

My original unit was replaced around May-June 2016. I purchased my RV new in February 2016. The dealer is replacing the replacement on Dometics dime.

Tags
air conditioner, dometic