Old 09-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

DOMETIC air conditioner

Our main living area air conditioner quit working. Blowing but not cooling. Are there any fuses or anything to troubleshoot? Does not appear frozen up. Of course it is hottest it's been this summer. A/C brand new at least it's under warranty.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #2

Dometic has had a bad run of 15000 btu units. I purchased a new coachman TT on September 10, 2014. In June of this year I had the same problem and had it replaced with a new unit. We used it for a total of 10 days and that unit went out. I just had it replaced Friday morning. The 13.5 in the bedroom has worked great from day one. We're hoping the new unit lasts. The 2 year warranty period starts over each time it's replaced. (According to my dealer)

Old 09-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #3

I have kinda watched these discussions about bad a/c units. I has been an interest as to why these units fail. I assume the compressors are not failing, the fan/fans are funning and I also assume they did not drastically change the design of the system. Meaning components are matched. I will also assume the solder joints have not failed. The only next problem could be... Wrong refrigerant/charge. If the compressor is pumping and the fans are running it should work.
I know the system is sealed and it doesn't cost that much to just replace in warranty versus finding qualified tech to service...I think that is the reason they aren't fixing them. Just curious. I figure it's charge if you didn't catch that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #4

The shop foreman said he believed it was lack of refrigerant in the one just replaced, because the compressor was working. However, on the first one I had that quit, the compressor wouldn't even come on.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #5

Lol. Thanks for not saying "freon". Kinda like "Cummings". It aggravates us owners.
Low refrigerant charge will kill compressors eventually. Not enough cooling or oil returning to the compressor.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #6

Dang it sorry to hear about your a/c going south on a holiday weekend. They always quit at the wrong time.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
Head Rambler

Iwannacamp-- Our 15,000 BTUH A/C failed shortly taking possession of the unit. On ours the compressor would make a loud buzzing/humming noise and then trip off.

The service tech said that high pressure was causing it to do that. Not sure how he figured that out. If it was then your belief that it was a charge issue makes sense.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

Ours failed after ten months, but the tech replacing it said the two year warranty starts at the date of original purchase. He claimed a replacement unit does not extend the warranty. Was he correct?
Old 09-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Iwannacamp-- Our 15,000 BTUH A/C failed shortly taking possession of the unit. On ours the compressor would make a loud buzzing/humming noise and then trip off.

The service tech said that high pressure was causing it to do that. Not sure how he figured that out. If it was then your belief that it was a charge issue makes sense.

High pressure almost has to be dirty, restriction, fan/airflow(aka dirty in most cases) this doesn't go along with premature failures. I guess they could be overcharged from the factory. I suspected under charge.
It could also be some people are running on low speed a lot...if this is controllable. IMHO you should run them on high...most airflow possible. I suspect these are not multi speed compressors. You need all the condenser air you can get...especially in hot weather.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallsmi View Post
Ours failed after ten months, but the tech replacing it said the two year warranty starts at the date of original purchase. He claimed a replacement unit does not extend the warranty. Was he correct?

The warranties I have ever dealt with(automotive parts background) have been original purchase date. The only exemptions I have ever seen are pro-rated warranties. Tires and batteries...these are prorated, but there are exceptions to these also.

Tags
air conditioner, dometic