Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #1

DOMETIC air conditioner

Our main living area air conditioner quit working. Blowing but not cooling. Are there any fuses or anything to troubleshoot? Does not appear frozen up. Of course it is hottest it's been this summer. A/C brand new at least it's under warranty.
steph45601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

Dometic has had a bad run of 15000 btu units. I purchased a new coachman TT on September 10, 2014. In June of this year I had the same problem and had it replaced with a new unit. We used it for a total of 10 days and that unit went out. I just had it replaced Friday morning. The 13.5 in the bedroom has worked great from day one. We're hoping the new unit lasts. The 2 year warranty period starts over each time it's replaced. (According to my dealer)
Old 09-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

I have kinda watched these discussions about bad a/c units. I has been an interest as to why these units fail. I assume the compressors are not failing, the fan/fans are funning and I also assume they did not drastically change the design of the system. Meaning components are matched. I will also assume the solder joints have not failed. The only next problem could be... Wrong refrigerant/charge. If the compressor is pumping and the fans are running it should work.
I know the system is sealed and it doesn't cost that much to just replace in warranty versus finding qualified tech to service...I think that is the reason they aren't fixing them. Just curious. I figure it's charge if you didn't catch that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #4

The shop foreman said he believed it was lack of refrigerant in the one just replaced, because the compressor was working. However, on the first one I had that quit, the compressor wouldn't even come on.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #5

Lol. Thanks for not saying "freon". Kinda like "Cummings". It aggravates us owners.
Low refrigerant charge will kill compressors eventually. Not enough cooling or oil returning to the compressor.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

Dang it sorry to hear about your a/c going south on a holiday weekend. They always quit at the wrong time.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Iwannacamp-- Our 15,000 BTUH A/C failed shortly taking possession of the unit. On ours the compressor would make a loud buzzing/humming noise and then trip off.

The service tech said that high pressure was causing it to do that. Not sure how he figured that out. If it was then your belief that it was a charge issue makes sense.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

Ours failed after ten months, but the tech replacing it said the two year warranty starts at the date of original purchase. He claimed a replacement unit does not extend the warranty. Was he correct?
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Iwannacamp-- Our 15,000 BTUH A/C failed shortly taking possession of the unit. On ours the compressor would make a loud buzzing/humming noise and then trip off.

The service tech said that high pressure was causing it to do that. Not sure how he figured that out. If it was then your belief that it was a charge issue makes sense.

High pressure almost has to be dirty, restriction, fan/airflow(aka dirty in most cases) this doesn't go along with premature failures. I guess they could be overcharged from the factory. I suspected under charge.
It could also be some people are running on low speed a lot...if this is controllable. IMHO you should run them on high...most airflow possible. I suspect these are not multi speed compressors. You need all the condenser air you can get...especially in hot weather.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallsmi View Post
Ours failed after ten months, but the tech replacing it said the two year warranty starts at the date of original purchase. He claimed a replacement unit does not extend the warranty. Was he correct?

The warranties I have ever dealt with(automotive parts background) have been original purchase date. The only exemptions I have ever seen are pro-rated warranties. Tires and batteries...these are prorated, but there are exceptions to these also.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #11
Site Team

I actually expect that, that unit had a compressor problem because it would start fine in the morning, but wouldn't during the hot part of the day. A hard start kit would have probably helped it, at least for a little while, but I'm glad they didn't try to go that route.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallsmi View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that, by default, the warranty period begins at date of purchase and covers two years. Any/all units replaced under that warranty period only carry warranty for the remainder of the initial two year period from date of purchase.

Let me clarify to say, this is what is spelled out in the document for mine, which is 2013 model. Ive heard, but not confirmed, that they have started adding a 3rd year parts only under certain circumstances. My $.02.

Ive got an active thread this week regarding my situation for which I am still working back and forth with Dometic on, even though I'm technically in year three ownership.

Sabre_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #13

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=92206

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Cajun Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #14

I have a used '14 XLR with it's second bad a/c unit. I'm sweltering in the humidity of 87 degrees in the Keys. The main a/c compressor is running...no cooling. I know a/c systems well enough to know there is no refrigerant. As this unit is past two years on the original owner I'm looking at replacing this unit n our dime. Dometic should have a class-action case working them over.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #15

Dometic products...in dire need of improvement

Continuing saga:

Three weeks ago we had the a/c recharged thru a pierce fitting on the low side. $268 and it lasted two weeks. The a/c shop contacted Dometic which then sent me letter saying they'd honor warranty. Then they found I'm not the original owner.

Today I have a third Dometic a/c unit for $1500. Then we purchased the xtended three year warranty for an xtra $170. So at least I can now get replacement units and labor for the next FIVE years however often these Chinese bombs require replacement...which on average for my two year old XLR is every eight months. That would be 7.5 replacement a/c units over the next five years based on unit replacements.

Total costs:
Experimental unit recharge $268
Unit replacement $1500
Three additional years of warranty $170
$50 tip for the young man who worked very hard humping this 100lb toilet up and down ladders
TTL nearly $2000

Did I mention the original Dometic RM1350 was also replaced? Wish I had a warranty for THAT toilet as well...

Dometic products...in dire need of improvement....and a class action suit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	98612  
Old 01-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #16

"Dometic products...in dire need of improvement...and a class action suit."

When I last contacted Dometic with my a/c issues (mostly email, initiated thru the "contact us" link on their site) I made it a point to never directly ask them to replace my unit "under warranty" (technically, mine was expired) and I never did. If I had, the answer would have simply been "no" and I'd have had to scramble to restart the conversation.

What I did was insist that they get me involved with someone to help me understand/resolve the issue so that I could begin to enjoy my camper again. At first they simply responded by pointing out that I was out of warranty and they were "sorry they would not be able to help me" (lol). To which I reminded them I had not asked for clarification of the warranty, but for help in understanding/resolving my issue.

We had probably 5 or 6 exchanges back and forth before they ultimately offered to replace my unit and all I paid was a small labor charge to the dealer that did the work for me.

My point is, is that I could have said all I wanted to say to them in one email but I didnt. I tried to say a little at a time, anticipating there response, then negating it with my next response. Basically, I intentionally let the conversation unfold slowly.

I think once they realized that I was also in touch with the Palomino rep (our manufacturer), a local dealer and of course, sharing this information with all of you folks, and that i wasnt going to dissappear, it seemed they were very quick to throw in the towel...and a new a/c, lol

At the time, our palomino rep was not aware of any problems, however, our retail dealer was and so was the dealer who performed our labor. To anyone, if you're having these same kind of troubles, keep good records and stay with them, you can get them to go your way, haha

Sorry for the long post, hehe.

Sabre_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #17

Thanks Sabre_Ray...I did try to be reasonable with three back-n-forth emails. Once they determined I wasn't the original owner that seemed to turn them.

I even had the a/c contractor here go to bat for me. He really tried.

I've decided to escalate with tactical nukes...writing the Indiana AG.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Eeeeek $1500.00?
Someone's getting rich!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #19
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Eeeeek $1500.00?
Someone's getting rich!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Awful expensive must have charged a bunch for labor. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #20

I'm being held captive in the Keys...they can charge what they want here...

Tags
air conditioner, dometic