Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #1

Dometic DMR 702 refrigerator problem

We have a FR 8285IKWS 2015 model picked up in July of 2014. No extended warranty.
Dometic refrigerator has a two year warranty, but requires yearly maintenance to be preformed, Which was not done. My bad, never read the warranty. My coverage on the frig expired July of 2016.

I was having a problem in the fall of 2015 with the interior LED lights staying illuminated when the frig door was open. Sometimes they flickered, other times they where not on at all, or they where dim. I had the LED board replaced in January 2016 and it worked for a month or so. Then the same problem returned. I returned home in May and parked the unit and procrastinated looking at it until last Thursday September 8th. I removed the plastic housing that supports the LED circuit board from the interior of the frig ceiling, hoping to discover a loose wire, or maybe the switch was bad.

It was then that I noticed a slight brown burn mark on the top of the plastic housing. So I looked inside the frig at the spot the plastic housing had been mounted and discovered a darker burn mark and a split in the plastic liner of the frig ceiling! Spoke to the dealer and was told I should contact Dometic directly to attempt to have them extend the warranty. Friday Sept 9th Dometic told me to have the dealer contact them directly to request the extension. I emailed the dealer with the attached photos and within an hour the dealer (Albany RVone) called and informed me that Dometic had in fact extended the warranty and would be shipping a replacement refrigerator to the dealer next week!
Just dumb luck that I didn’t have a fire from what ever caused the burn marks or, Someone was watching over us..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burn and crack full view.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	119884   Click image for larger version

Name:	burn mark and crack closeup.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	119885  
pmay2088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Good on Dometic for taking care of you. Bummer that you had that sort of problem.

Thanks for posting this, especially the pictures. It lets people know what to look for if they have the same problem .

Tags
dometic, refrigerator