Old 01-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

Dometic External Fans, Up or Out?

We have the small entry level Propane 110VAC undercounter fridge in our Wolfpup. After poor performance last trip of the summer I found one mud-dobber nest on condenser coils under the plywood heat baffle that must have been there before I installed the vent screens. We were also test running our new HomeLabs portable Icemaker and conclude I was just in the fridge too much as it worked fine parked back at home! I also have a small USB fan installed inside the fridge.

None the less after much research I'm going to add 3, 5-1/4" 12VDC cooling fans to the exterior compartment. So my question as I await delivery from Taiwan, mount them inside the lower vent pointing up? Or inside the upper vent (side wall of RV) sucking out? Power will be manually applied from under sink so I want to allow for natural convection cooling in moderate weather conditions.

txhomebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhomebrew View Post
We have the small entry level Propane 110VAC undercounter fridge in our Wolfpup. After poor performance last trip of the summer I found one mud-dobber nest on condenser coils under the plywood heat baffle that must have been there before I installed the vent screens. We were also test running our new HomeLabs portable Icemaker and conclude I was just in the fridge too much as it worked fine parked back at home! I also have a small USB fan installed inside the fridge.

None the less after much research I'm going to add 3, 5-1/4" 12VDC cooling fans to the exterior compartment. So my question as I await delivery from Taiwan, mount them inside the lower vent pointing up? Or inside the upper vent (side wall of RV) sucking out? Power will be manually applied from under sink so I want to allow for natural convection cooling in moderate weather conditions.
One or two on the bottom blowing up, and another one or two on the top blowing out.

This is something I need to do for my 5'ver as well.

2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5'ver, Reese 16K Pro Slider Hitch
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 rear end
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhomebrew View Post

No need to over do it one or two fans at most . things need to get hot to get cold . one below and one above should be fine .with your small fridge a couple will be more then enough .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Jayhawker

Cooling fans

Make sure you use the ball bearing fans instead of the sleeved models. This is the set up we did on our previous TT. If you use fewer fans, make sure you seal around the fans for air flow efficiency.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	195519  
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #5

It is also important to make sure that the correct baffles are installed to make sure your fans are moving the air correctly. Our unit had a large dead space above the fridge, this allowed heat to collect in the space. Once a baffle was installed to direct the air directly out of the upper vent the cooling was much better.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:00 AM   #6

I installed a Titan fan with interior control. Very quiet and moves lots of air.
https://youtu.be/zZZ-GxElOLw
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #7

Dometic fan

I put a snap a snap switch in series with my fans 100 degree normally open 85 off.
I am hopeing this works. Hasn't been warm enough yet to know.

NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fan