Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #1

Dometic Flame out

I have a Dometic 2193 frig in a Rockwood model #1980 pop up camper. If i tow with the gas running the frig, the burner blows out within 5 miles. How can I stop this flame out situation,
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #2

can you take a few pics of the area in question? you may have a missing shield
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Site Team

A few pics would help but like Greg said, probably a missing or mislaigned shield.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
2x Forest River Owner

As a prior pop-up owner, I found the same problem.

My unit also ran on 12v, so I would choose this option when towing. The
12v chargeback line on the tow vehicle would keep the pop-up's battery from crapping out.

I'm not certain if yours has the 12v option, but it worked well for me.

Waitin' for the weekend!

2007 Chevy Silverado
2009 Salem 27RBS Travel Trailer
Formerly camped in a 2007 Flagstaff 228D Pop-Up
naganthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I would recommend using the 12 volt option while towing. As long as the refer is already cold it will maintain the temperature. My specific reason in that you don't have to remember to turn it off and relight it when stopping for gas.

It also saves the hassle of having to turn it off if you are going through a major tunnel where you have to stop for inspection and turn off the gas at the tank.

I know this advice does not resolve your problem of why the refer burner is blowing out. You should still look into that as you might experience the same problem if camping in a high wind area.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #6

If it is blowing out because of wind while going down the road then put a standard furnace filter of the appropriate size behind the outside access door. An old and very little known about RVrs trick to fridges blowing out....
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwjeep View Post
If it is blowing out because of wind while going down the road then put a standard furnace filter of the appropriate size behind the outside access door. An old and very little known about RVrs trick to fridges blowing out....
I would think about this one, why put something flammable in this area.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Furnace filters do have a cardboard edge but the rest is non-flammable fiber glass
and a little tin.
The flame on an RV fridge is small and shielded.
A furnace filter would not bother me if it kept my food cold!

I used to tow a previous trailer with the refer on DC mode until I discovered
it was sucking the juice out of my trailer battery while I was on the road.
And yes, my truck did have the 12v battery lead connected in the plug.
It's just so far down stream from the engine alternator that it was still able
to discharge my trailer battery.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #9

If you what to keep your food cold and the flame is shielded then there is no reason to place a filter in the out side compartment. The fridge needs air flow to do it's job. The air is pulled in at the side vent of the fridge on the outside of the camper and then vented out though the chimmey that is on the roof of the camper above the fridge, the heat from the fridge is very warm. If air is restricted then it will take longer for the fridge to reach it max cooling temps. Some people install a small electric fan in the top of the chimmey to speed up the process. If the flame is blowing out while traveling, then there maybe somthing wrong with the shield it self or maybe a problem with the ragulator. I would have it checked and repaired and not make modifications.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #10

The flame is shielded as stated above by a metal enclosure the problem especially in high side wind conditions is that enough wind coming through the access door can and does very often blow the flame out. Putting a furnace filter behind the door does not place it in close proximity to the flame. We have used this trick for over 30 years without any dangers on sevral different rigs.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwjeep View Post
The flame is shielded as stated above by a metal enclosure the problem especially in high side wind conditions is that enough wind coming through the access door can and does very often blow the flame out. Putting a furnace filter behind the door does not place it in close proximity to the flame. We have used this trick for over 30 years without any dangers on several different rigs.
Nwjeep, I respect you and your 30 years of camping, I have been camping for 9 years and never experienced this type of problem, But for some reason I just would have a fear of placing cardboard and fiberglass materials in this area. If I did have this problem with the flame blowing out, I think I could come up with an alternative solution, maybe a piece of aluminum the same size as a filter to fit the area with holes in it, NWJeeper what do you think? please I am serious, I would like your input. Is there anyone else with an alternative solution?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #12

As I have used the funace filter trick in the past and my dad before me and since it was first relayed to us by an RV repair technician I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Placing something like a piece of metal in the way even with holes would greatly reduce the air flow and cause the fridge to not cool as it should. If you really don't belive you can put a filter in there and not have your trailer go up in flames then by all means don't do it. I'm affraid I don't have any other tricks up my sleve than this.

Good Luck.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #13

NWJeeper, I appreciate your reply. I am very safety congest, I work around 13,000 volt electric service, our chillers and air handler operate off of 480 volts and we produce our own high pressure steam (100 psi) for our boilers and not to mention R-123 and R-134a refrigerants for the chillers which the air quality is constantly monitored and has alarms in case of a leak. The other thing is, I am a strong believer in Murphy's Law " What Can Happen, Will Happen". So thanks again.