Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Dometic Fridge: Can I run it while RV Under a Tarp?

Only on electricity, that is. Typically our Freedom Express 192 RBS is covered with a tarp until we are ready to hitch up and go again. We like to turn our fridge on a day or so in advance to get it nice and cold before departing. Must I remove the tarp before powering up the fridge - again, only on electricity? I have taken note of the vent on the roof for the Dometic, but does that vent only apply to venting while the fridge is operating on propane? Thanks!

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express - 192RBS
2018 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Last Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Can you feel any heat up at the vent?....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

The roof vent MUST BE UNCOVERED when using electricity or, for that matter propane or 12 volt. The 110 heating element in the bioler is don'g the same thing as the propane burner, heating the amonia and causing the refrigerant flow through the evaporator which must rid itself of heat and that heat goes out through the upper vent. It's a chimney effect. The hot air from the evaporatr draws the cold air in the bottom. It has to be uncovered or the unit will overheat and shut down.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Site Team

The heat removed from the Fridge and the heat generated in the cooling process must exit somewhere or it will not operate properly. If you do not have the roof vent uncovered, it will perform poorly if at all. If you are planning to use it in a day or two, what is the issue not uncovering it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The roof vent MUST BE UNCOVERED when using electricity or, for that matter propane or 12 volt. The 110 heating element in the bioler is don'g the same thing as the propane burner, heating the amonia and causing the refrigerant flow through the evaporator which must rid itself of heat and that heat goes out through the upper vent. It's a chimney effect. The hot air from the evaporatr draws the cold air in the bottom. It has to be uncovered or the unit will overheat and shut down.
That makes total sense, and thanks for the explanation. (And thanks to you, also Bob Caldwell.) I had not even tried to operate the fridge while the tarp was on top, because I sort of intuitively thought it might not be best - hence, I could not "feel any heat." So I'll not turn the thing on until we yank that tarp off!

Appreciate the feedback.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
Left Coast

You're welcome......I knew the answer, but I like to have the op find out these things buy testing things, as in the future if a problem arises, they'd be a little more confident in their own abilities.......
Old 02-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
You're welcome......I knew the answer, but I like to have the op find out these things buy testing things, as in the future if a problem arises, they'd be a little more confident in their own abilities.......
Dang Bob, we didn't know there was going to an Exam! Lol
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Left Coast

Film at 11....Stay tuned!...lol
Old 02-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Dang Bob, we didn't know there was going to an Exam! Lol
Lesson learned by all viewers . . . !!

EOT!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #10

I caught on one other thing you mentioned. I hope that "tarp" you are using is not waterproof e.g. plastic. It will retain a lot of moisture inside the camper if it is laying on the camper and draped over the sides to any degree. If you are just parking under some sort of overhang or a suspended tarp, then the air space in between should give adequate ventilation. Wrapping just about any RV with a plastic cover can lead to lots of problems. That's why most commercial covers are a fine mesh type fabric that allow moisture to pass through them.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #11

You could cut a flap in the cover and attach Velcro around it so you can open and close as needed. That is what I would do...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Train View Post
Lesson learned by all viewers . . . !!

EOT!!!!!!
exactly, if we think you are sharpshooting us, we will sto pansering your questions............................rather like"the little boy who cried wolf"
Old 02-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
It will retain a lot of moisture inside the camper if it is laying on the camper and draped over the sides to any degree.
Thanks, but we are totally aware of the cautions against moisture accumulation. Here along the Texas Gulf Coastal Plain we are particularly aware of the ambient humidity in the region, so we are proactive about such things. In our case, we provide for air flow by using a number of Lynx blocks on the roof to allow for fresh air to circulate a bit. And, we hardly go a couple of weeks without removing the covering to head out on a trip, anyway. I also step out to the rig fairly regularly (it's kept here at our home) and run the A/C for a while - especially after returning from a trip (with the roof uncovered, of course!). We're blessed that we can use our 192 RBS year 'round, and you know how things can deteriorate if not used.

In fact, I just got back yesterday evening from a short hunting trip at a ranch north of here. Pulled the rig up there in order to have a place to clean up. The rancher friend of mine is plagued by wild hogs that destroy his pastures, and we just "knew" we would be able to take out a few. Well . . . there is a reason they call it "hunting" instead of "harvesting!" Came back empty handed, darn it! Maybe because it was a full moon . . . or any other excuse I can conjure up.

Tags
fridge, dometic