Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #1

Dometic Fridge doesn't cool at all on propane

We bought a new to us 2015 Shamrock 233S last fall. The Dometic fridge works great on AC but nothing happens on propane. We've cleaned the orifice, jet and flu. Verified there is at least a small/low blue flame (wasn't sure how big it was supposed to be on a newer fridge as compared to our previous ones) and are working on getting the pressure of the regulator checked. I believe it is a Dometic 7 series fridge. Assuming the regulator pressure test comes out normal, what would be the next logical steps to take. We aren't really sure where to go from here. Any help will be appreciated. The dealer is at least 2 hours away.
beachlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
Site Team

I do agree with making sure the LP system pressure is 11" WC and then if it isn't that, you may want to clean the flue. The procedure is in the manual, there's a spiral piece of metal that you have to remove.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #3

We had that issue once and it turned out to be dirt/bugs/whatever in the burner tube. A quick blast from my compressor cleared it out and it's worked fine ever since. I'm not sure how big the flame is supposed to be but when it wasn't working right, it looked like a pilot light - not much flame. After cleaning, it was much a larger flame.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #4

I had this problem
It was a loose wire or 2 on the circuit board,
I re read your post, I had no flame at all on mine.
I'm guessing my valve was not opening do to loose wire
Tblt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

Check your burner tube it happen to me and I had a spider web in it .just don't look with a naked eye use a pipe cleaner in it bc you will not see it good luck
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #6

I seem to have a similar problem with my Dometic fridge but only when it is extremely hot outside. I have my fridge running right now on propane/12 VDC and it is cooling just fine but seems like every year when we go to beach and usually very hot the fridge just cannot keep up. Thought about putting some sort of exhaust fan to help pull heat off of the cooling fins?

beachlvr - what is the temperature outside?
Leever2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leever2000 View Post
I seem to have a similar problem with my Dometic fridge but only when it is extremely hot outside. I have my fridge running right now on propane/12 VDC and it is cooling just fine but seems like every year when we go to beach and usually very hot the fridge just cannot keep up. Thought about putting some sort of exhaust fan to help pull heat off of the cooling fins?

beachlvr - what is the temperature outside?
couldn't you put a reflection shield on the outside above the frig
Old 06-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #8

Thanks all, unfortunately the fridge still isn't working on propance. We checked and cleaned the Flue, orifice, and burner again. Also checked the regulator which is okay. Still not sure what we are going to do from here. I believe next will be to take a good look at all the wiring including the board and see if we see anything obvious. Any suggestions after that? Could it be a bad thermocouple (like I have any idea what I'm talking about). It's a shame because it looks brand new in the back.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
The temp outside today is around 75 degrees and not in direct sunlight but when at the beach it seems like always direct sunlight and at least 85 degrees. To top it off the vent grill/grate is black plastic and most definitely absorbing lots of heat. I will try the reflective shield that may be the solution.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leever2000 View Post
The temp outside today is around 75 degrees and not in direct sunlight but when at the beach it seems like always direct sunlight and at least 85 degrees. To top it off the vent grill/grate is black plastic and most definitely absorbing lots of heat. I will try the reflective shield that may be the solution.
Have you installed a fan(s) in the back?
Many of us have and experience much better cooling, especially when in a slide.
Search the forum for refrigerator cooling fans.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Have you installed a fan(s) in the back?
Many of us have and experience much better cooling, especially when in a slide.
Search the forum for refrigerator cooling fans.
I have not installed a fan but after your post it confirms that is what I need to do. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:32 PM   #12

So we still haven't figured out the refrigerator. Went through and cleaned out the flu, orifice, and burner again. A friend came and checked the pressure with a manometer, it was fine. Changed the tank. The fridge lights and flame looks good but the flu never gets hot like it should. Getting ready to have an electrician friend check the battery power. Any other ideas? We are getting desperate.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlvr View Post
So we still haven't figured out the refrigerator. Went through and cleaned out the flu, orifice, and burner again. A friend came and checked the pressure with a manometer, it was fine. Changed the tank. The fridge lights and flame looks good but the flu never gets hot like it should. Getting ready to have an electrician friend check the battery power. Any other ideas? We are getting desperate.
The burner flame may not be centered directly under the flue. What is the model number of your 7 Series refrigerator. Finding a service manual for the Dometic 7 Series refrigerators is like pulling teeth from a sabre tooth tiger.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
The burner flame may not be centered directly under the flue. What is the model number of your 7 Series refrigerator. Finding a service manual for the Dometic 7 Series refrigerators is like pulling teeth from a sabre tooth tiger.
Check out, manualslib.com ,Dometic 7 series manual mentions what Scrapper says about the flame, in the troubleshooting section.
In android, there is an app for this site, look in app store for Manualslib
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #15

The model # is DMR702. Still can't figure it out and don't seem to be able to open the cover on the board, can't get to the left side to get it open.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
they make clips that goes above it .look at trailer life mag.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #17

Although all the suggestions about outside temperatures and extra venting are all sound advice, I doubt that this is the OP's problem because the fridge is performing acceptably on AC but not at all on propane. Any external conditions would likely affect both, even more so on AC because most fridges actually cool better on gas.
I've been told that not only should the flame look right, but you should hear a not particularly loud but noticeable roaring sound from the flue. If you're not feeling the flue getting hot then there is almost certainly a problem with the flame. I've read about people actually damaging the orifice during cleaning which can cause problems.
Good luck and keep us updated!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlvr View Post
The model # is DMR702. Still can't figure it out and don't seem to be able to open the cover on the board, can't get to the left side to get it open.
In case you don't have the manual for the DMR702
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic-DMR-DMC-Refrigerators-Manual-Web_29111.pdf (3.47 MB, 28 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge, propane