Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #1

Dometic fridge door is bent?

We have a flagstaff 29ksws. My grandkids forced the fridge shut while something was in the way. Now it will not shut all the way. It does “click” shut, but you have to give it a good push to make sure and it isn’t sealing near the bottom. I think there has to be a way to readjust the door, just can’t find it on google. Anyone know how? Thanks in advance.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #2

Any adjustment in the hinges? Use a piece of paper all the way around the opening checking how tight by moving the paper and open/close the door. You want to feel drag on the paper and seal.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Any adjustment in the hinges? Use a piece of paper all the way around the opening checking how tight by moving the paper and open/close the door. You want to feel drag on the paper and seal.
I know it isn't sealing at the bottom of the door. I'm not sure how I would adjust the hinges. We just got back from camping, I'll be emptying and cleaning it soon. I'm hoping I'll find a way to fix it before then.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #4

You will have to look and see if it has screws and slots the screws go through. Just a matter of loosening the screws a little and pushing in a little at the bottom, tighten the screws and try it. Repeat as necessary. If no screws, no idea! Hope that's it. I would look at mine but I and not close to it.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #5

What I'm going to recommend requires some restraint. Simply get a block of wood, maybe a piece of 2x4, and close it in the part of the door that hits first. Carefully push on the part of the door that is not contacting the jamb, springing the door back into it's original position till the door shuts properly. Again, don't go crazy as you are stressing the hinges, etc. If you were to take the door apart, you'd find out there's not much to it. I've done this a number of times with various types of refrigerators, and it has worked every time. Your kids sprung the door, not the hinges, (if I'm not mistaken the hinges are plastic and would not bend anyway).

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
What I'm going to recommend requires some restraint. Simply get a block of wood, maybe a piece of 2x4, and close it in the part of the door that hits first. Carefully push on the part of the door that is not contacting the jamb, springing the door back into it's original position till the door shuts properly. Again, don't go crazy as you are stressing the hinges, etc. If you were to take the door apart, you'd find out there's not much to it. I've done this a number of times with various types of refrigerators, and it has worked every time. Your kids sprung the door, not the hinges, (if I'm not mistaken the hinges are plastic and would not bend anyway).
X2
Simply reverse the place where the original obstruction was and spring the door back straight.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #7

Door Sprung

I cringe every time my wife gets close to ANY door. Her solution to anything that will not close is to bang, push harder on it! I have to watch her really close in the truck console or glove box. She's a member of the "get a bigger hammer" club.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #8

Very hard convincing some people if it doesn't close easy to look and see why rather then use more force!

Tags
bent, dometic, door, fridge